Dungeon 195 - Bestiary: Flowers in the Darkness

Shroomy

Adventurer
Well, it only took me 2 1/2 years and three pitches, but I finally was able to introduce one of my favorite monsters to 4e, the vampire rose. It has a special place in my heart since the first D&D adventure I ever owned was B3: Palace of the Silver Princess. I hope everyone enjoys it, as well as the dusanu, hangman tree, and reaper blossom (my own creation). Also, many, many kudos to Jim Nelson for the awesome artwork!

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Bestiary: Flowers in the Darkness)

Klaus

First Post
Well, it only took me 2 1/2 years and three pitches, but I finally was able to introduce one of my favorite monsters to 4e, the vampire rose. It has a special place in my heart since the first D&D adventure I ever owned was B3: Palace of the Silver Princess. I hope everyone enjoys it, as well as the dusanu, hangman tree, and reaper blossom (my own creation). Also, many, many kudos to Jim Nelson for the awesome artwork!

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Bestiary: Flowers in the Darkness)
And thanks for the nod to the vryloka on the vampire rose entry!

mcmillan

Explorer
Nice article. I think my players might find the city they just found that's been infested with ghouls might have also been conducive to Dusunu as a way to mix things up.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Anyone running a 4e conversion of Dungeonland and/or Beyond the Magic Mirror should include some vampire roses, tended to by the Queen's insane servants. "We'll paint the roses red... with blood!"

the Jester

Legend
Yeah, the yellow musk creeper is awesome- I did my own conversion and used it in 4e a couple of years ago.

Also the giant sundew.
Tendriculous.
Ascomoid.

To be honest, I even kinda like the phantom fungus! :blush:

Rechan

Adventurer
The Zombie Cactus from the Dark Sun book would make a great Yellow Musk creeper reskinned. (A little more domination than I'd like, but otherwise...)

Rechan

Adventurer
Hey Shroomy, question about the article.

The Hangman Tree's Swallow power says that a target is removed from play. However, there's a listed Escape DC. So are they removed from play, or are they just unable to use powers but able to make escape attempts?

I like the addition of the Encounters - I was sad how many monster entries don't tell you what kind of monsters will hang around with others.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Hey Shroomy, question about the article.

The Hangman Tree's Swallow power says that a target is removed from play. However, there's a listed Escape DC. So are they removed from play, or are they just unable to use powers but able to make escape attempts?

I like the addition of the Encounters - I was sad how many monster entries don't tell you what kind of monsters will hang around with others.

The language for the hangman tree's swallow power was changed during development; PCs should still be able to make skill checks to escape, though the rest of the condition still applies.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4