Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game (DCC RPG) anyone?

scourger

Explorer
I bought a copy of the second printing (with errata & an index) while traveling recently and have read most of it. It has many great design features: low levels, equalization through randomization, critical hits & misses, etc.

I am a little unsure of the magic. It seems a little over-complicated. Luck strikes me the same way. I think it would be easy to run pre-printed adventures, but I really wanted to explore it as a way to run a campaign or 2 that I have been pondering for some time. I think the only way to tell for sure is to play it, and I may not have the chance for a couple of months due to personal circumstances.

I don't know if it will come down to DCC or E6 (or even Savage Worlds). Each has advantages and comes with a distinct "feel". DCC is exciting at any rate.

IronWolf

blank
I am a little unsure of the magic. It seems a little over-complicated. Luck strikes me the same way.

Magic appears complicated at first glance, but when you get into it and used to the system it isn't too bad. Since a wizard only knows a certain number of spells, the player only has to be concerned with a handful of random tables initially. It becomes a lot less intimidating after that.

I have not found Luck too complicated either once you play with it a bit.

Agamon

Adventurer
The magic system is what really shines about this game. Well, aside from the spell-duel rules. Those really are overly complicated, but also easily ignored.

Remove ads