Dungeon/Polyhedron Life Expectancy

hellbender

First Post
Mercule said:

Eh, "Gith tripe" may have been a bit of hyperbole. I really don't mind them, in context. I just am neutral toward them, at best. Like I said, though, I don't want to include them in my game world because I like to at least have the option of publishing my world someday.

I was never a big Dungeon subscriber because I've always been a "seat-of-the-pants" DM. I even used to be able to come up with rhyming riddles on the fly (I was the English teacher's pet in jr high/high school). Alas, I'm finding that I don't have as much time to feed my creativity anymore, so I'm really starting to like the idea of having a stockpile of adventures and seeds sitting on my shelf (and the back of my head).

I was pondering your original post to this thread, and I was puzzled by the entire githyanki statement for two reasons in particular:

1) You can easily trade githyanki with MonsterX with the same results basically. Those magazines are about the best thing to hit Dungeon/Polyhedron in a long time, not just in my opinion.

2)Would you really transpose everything from your homebrew into a published setting? What's wrong with an event like this in your own personal game. The devastation in a published storyline can easily be ascribed to anything else.

I was the Creative Writing teacher's pet, and I tend to see many ways to skin the metaphorical cat.

hellbender

grodog

Hero
ColonelHardisson said:
I could have sworn that the LGJ was supposed to be in Dragon, not Dungeon.

Col H., LGJ started out as an RPGA-only publication, then moved into Dragon Magazine after 5 issues, then was consolidated into Poly/Dungeon when they merged all of the RPGA content with Dungeon.

I'm hoping that both Dragon and Dungeon will continue well into the future, since I resubbed to both this past month.

Like blindrage, I primarily subscribe for the LGJ, for the articles/adventures that catch my eye, and in the hope that Paizo will find their stride with the new magazines under the new editorial leadership. I'm willing to invest another year to see how things improve.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Gotta say that, as a DM, Dungeon has been my saviour many times over. I've got every one for 3E/3.5E and even if I cant make use of an issue immediatley I almost always find a use for it later. For example I am preparing to run "The Harrowing" from issue 84 this upcoming Saturday.

I don't mind Poly even though I rarely make use of it. It just boggles my mind that so many people can be so negative on such a fine product. Even at the incresed price its still got more bang for your buck than just about any published module.

So to the guys at Dungeon - Keep up the good work and feel free to experiment, I think there's a lot of gamers out there that will be open to new ideas and formats.

Dirge

7thlvlDM

Explorer
I like Dungeon adventures. I like the Greyhawk Journal. I don't mind the Polyhedron mini games although I would prefer them to be closer linked to fantasy so I can use them for my D&D game (like the Spelljammer issue).

What I don't like is support for Star Wars and D20 Modern taking up the already limitted space that could be devoted to D&D. I don't have time to play everything, so I'd rather the magazine be devoted to the thing I think most people play.

Just my 2 cents.

-7th

TiQuinn

I would tell anyone starting D&D that they need 4 things to play: the 3 core rulebooks and Dungeon magazine. Dungeon is my bread and butter. It is my go-to guy. It's at the top of the Hall of Fame list if ever a Hall of Fame list of D&D material was ever created.

Let's put it this way: I don't care for Polyhedron, but even with its inclusion in place of some adventures, my opinion of the magazine overall hasn't diminished. It's that invaluable to me as a DM.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Dungeon is only as good as it's readership wants

Dungeon is THE only D&D scenario magazine out there correct? Anybody wonder why? I've recently been informed by the dudes at MONGOOSE that SCENARIOS ARE THE LOWEST SELLING ITEMS OF ANY GAME COMPANY. What do they sell? Well, from the numbers DM's tend to purchase campaign settings and players buy occasional 'splatbooks.'

Gamers on average tend to be, well, cheapasses who complain a lot about perfection (must be the left-brain people, because you certainly don't see the right-brainers griping about the artwork or clinically-sterile scenario writing-styles).

Should we purchase an inferior product? No. But, let's look at what Dungeon could be that without exception we wouldn't want to purchase...

You have to give gamers credit though. At least their computer-programmer mentality and lack of personality are being put to work minimally enough to insult productive guys like Erik to demand a better product..at the very least.

I've seen a lot of personal attacks and defenses on these threads, however not enough suggestions. And, I'll bet Erik hasn't seen an increase in submissions. Erik hasn't specifically asked for it yet, but it may be useful to continue with suggestions about what we like and what we like less. Speaking of..I've got a review coming up about a scenario we just played...

cya

Jay

Last edited:

ES2

First Post
I have to state an opinion:

DUNGEON is the best value in gaming - ONLY if a person plays D&D.

Now, as stated in another thread, and it can be stated here, there should be another magazine published by a larger company that caters to NON-D&D d20 gamers as well. The d20 system and its license started with the intention of just other companies supporting its main game, that is D&D...and it has spread beyond anything they had thought of.

Now we are seeing games of all genres, some quite good, and the market is large enough where a magazine about non-D&D magazines would probably sell very well.

As for Dungeon and Poly, I think in about six months time, or within it, the market should be large enough to warrant the seperation of the two magazines, and indeed Poly could become the nonD&D d20 magazine most people are wanting.

As long as the Poly side doesn't cater to WotC products exclusively.

Kwyn

First Post

Of course it is. That is it's purpose. I think we agree that there needs to be another option for the fans of non-D&D content.

It would appear that many people, almost exclusively the ones who don't play D&D, would like to see Dungeon morph into a generic gaming magazine. If that were to happen, it would cease being Dungeon and become something else.

If Popular Mechanics started including recipes and cooking tips, it wouldn't be Popular Mechanics, now would it?

I think it's just a reality that both magazine have to share a bed so to speak for the time being. I think that the efforts to dilute Dungeon any further, meaning the Dungeon side of the magazine has more splatbook generica added to it, then it loses it's identity and is headed to oblivion.

Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
ES2 said:
I have to state an opinion:

DUNGEON is the best value in gaming - ONLY if a person plays reasonably standard D&D and doesn't like writing adventures.

It's a pretty good value if you like writing your own adventures as an idea mine, but best? Perhaps not.

Remove ads