D&D General #Dungeon23

hedgeknight

Explorer
Week 3 complete.
Going to finish out the Gnolls in Week 4 and get back to the Bandits before delving deeper...

#dungeon 23 week 3.jpg

I love that map for this set of rooms!

Thanks. It's fun how these things come together. Initially it was a randomly generated map. Then I wanted to play around with the idea of low ceilings so I added some shading. I liked the idea of a monster dragging characters into a crack with less than a foot of clearance. Added the thoqqua tunnels to make that more interesting on the north side. A fun area to design.

This week I'll be largely off-line. Unsure how I'll proceed, though I do have a notebook.

(Has anyone here ever gone through the "spider cave" at Yosemite? It's an unbelievably cramped cave of jumbled stones. You generally go through it with no lights as a team building experience. You need to feel your way through, crawling and shimmying up and over rocks and through cracks, helping your partner behind you. Terrifying and amazing at the same time. It's called the spider cave because you have to act like a spider, not because it is filled with spiders... though I was nervous sticking my fingers into unknown crevices. I think of it often when I design dungeons.)

Reynard

Legend
01.22: Kinder Lounge

Access: An unlocked door connects the kinder lounge to the hallway and privy (01.21).

Description: This chamber was once the parlor reserved for the young adult members of the Alastairn family (the kinder). Shelves of books, sets of cards and board games, along with a well stocked liquor cabinet, dominate this room. Chairs and stools offer comfortable -- if cozy -- seating for 8 people. Like the rest of the house, moisture, weather and pests have ruined most of the contents and furnishings.

Window to the Void: Among the most popular games with the Alastairn kinder was Window to the Void. It involves a simple picture frame holding a silver plate instead of a painting. To play, a black film is applied to the silver plate and allowed to dry. Then the players take turns holding a sharp stencil. They close their eyes and whisper a question to the void and scratch away at the film. Each “player” in turn does this, asking a follow-up question, until all the players have gone. Once they have finished, they open their eyes and interpret the image revealed by the scratching as the answer. Using the frame in this manner increases the chance of accurate divination magic two fold, but triples the chance of a spirit mishap for such castings.

Lurker in Ash: The fireplace in this room has become the lair of an arboreal hunter, drawn by the regular passage of birds and other pests down the chimney. Anyone searching the fireplace is likely to be attacked by the creature, which uses its poison tentacles and beak against the “intruder.”

Treasure: Besides the Window of the Void game, there are double the usual number of artifacts/baubles in this chamber.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Room 114 - Links Squad

The first of Shirazz's squads is made of two long timers and two recent additions. They have developed a solid sense of teamwork - and maybe even comaraderie. They are not necessarily fond of the mayor's spartan lifestyle, but appreciate that they are well rewarded and treated, and that they get to exercise their talents and have entirely bought into his vision.

The squad leader Menkek is an excellent tactician (stats as Hobgoblin Captain but INT 14 and WIS 12). Potions of Healing (x2), Climbing, and Giant Strength (21). +1 Great Sword. Gems worth 50gp.

Ravrok has been with Mekek from the start (Hobgoblin 14 STR, DEX, and CON, 32hp, +4 to hit, 6 (d8+2) with sword or bow). Potions of Healing (x2). Two +1 arrows. Gems worth 35 gp.

Shardol the Mask (Hobgoblin Iron Shadow) has come to value slumming with the more brute force types. Potion of Healing, Potion of Invisibility, and Feather token whip. Gems worth 40 gp.

Lorborz Smush (Half-Ogre) is correct when he thinks that his fellows (at least in this squad) actually accept him. 24 gp, gems worth 5gp.

If they're off the floor, their 20'x20' room will be unlocked, with nothing of particular value in it. The chests underneath the comfortably made beds have extra sets of clothes and a few replacement supplies. There is a lidded chamber pot under each bed. Each has their own weapons rack, and the table can be moved between the beds to clean a space for training. If they're elsewhere on the floor (perhaps eating) then much of their gear will be here.

Name help from https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/ .

View attachment 273376

Room 68 - Broom Closet

A sign on this unlocked door says "Broom Closet" in the same fine handwriting as the sign and label in room 70 just to the north. The 5'x5' closet is unlit. It contains a bucket, mop, broom, dustpan, 10 lbs. bag of sand, and a wooden box with a thin metal lining that has what you would expect from sweeping the floor for a few months.

Anyone looking up with in the room will notice the ceiling is a few feet shorter than in the other rooms. Anyone mapping who has been in 67 or 70 will notice that there is space between that room and the closet. Merely opening the door without poking one's head in gives a DC 17 perception check to get the feeling something feels off about the architecture - probing more will reveal the room's dimension issues.

Anyone tapping on the thick wooden walls may notice that it sounds like there is empty space behind all three of them (DC 12). Anyone physically exploring the ceiling (either by hand or by pole or broom; DC 10) will find that the ceiling slides to the side revealing a small space above (leading to room 69). There is nothing to find by merely looking at the walls or ceiling.

The construction of the closet walls, trap door, broom and mop handles, and the wooden dust bin are all exquisite. The creator's job of disguising that there is space beyond the room is sad.

1674448988163.png

The next room created (#69) is in post #387 D&D General - #Dungeon23 .

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
New description format today.

1.22.jpeg

1.22 Teleportation Chamber
  • First Look:
    • Perfectly round room, even the door. Smooth walls.
    • Disk set in floor. Inlaid platinum triangle. Inscribed with runes.
  • Closer Look:
    • Three oddly shaped recesses set into walls, evenly spaced.
    • Set into the floor, outside the disk, is a much smaller iron disk with a square recess (needs a drawing).
    • (Difficult skill check) Deciphering the runes will reveal the room's purpose, if not the destinations.
  • Secrets:
    • Scattered elsewhere in the dungeon are three "keys" that need to be set into the wall recesses
    • The small disk with a recess is a socket. The crank handle is in area 1.21. Turning it makes the large disk rotate.
    • When the 3 keys are socketed, and the corners of the triangle align with the keys, a two-way gate to other parts of the dungeon open. Three possible settings/destinations.
    • The platinum can be gouged out of the disk (25 coins worth) but that destroys the magic.

M_Natas

Hero
Day 23 of Dungeon23!
As you approach the exit leading to the underground river, the sound of rushing water grows louder. The air becomes damp and cool, a refreshing change from the humid jungle cave. The walls are slick with moisture and the ground is uneven, the river carving its way through the rock over time. The water is dark and swift, the current strong enough to be dangerous. You can see fish and other aquatic creatures swimming in the depths, and the occasional bat flitting overhead. The cave stretches on into the distance, the path along the river winding and treacherous. As you venture further in, you come across a small waterfall, the water cascading down into a deep pool. The cave is alive with the sound of water, a constant reminder of the power of nature. It's a beautiful but dangerous place, and it's up to you to navigate it safely. As you move along the river, you'll notice a statue of a long-forgotten water god, standing tall and proud. The statue is broken, its head missing and its arms cracked. It's a haunting reminder of the power of time and the forgotten gods that once ruled these caves.

IMG_20230123_125300_253.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So pedantic formatting question that probably only I care about:

There are 12 months in the year and, for many #dungeon23 plans, 12 levels. But there are 52 weeks in a year, with weeks that include days from a different month in them. How are you handling this?

I had originally had 48 sub-levels planned out across 12 levels, but now I'm wondering where the rooms for Jan. 29 through Jan. 31 and then Feb. 1 through Feb. 4 will go.

Will these be bonus rooms on a previous level for your dungeon? Orphaned micro-levels off to the side? A bye week?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

There are 12 months in the year and, for many #dungeon23 plans, 12 levels. But there are 52 weeks in a year, with weeks that include days from a different month in them. How are you handling this?

I had originally had 48 sub-levels planned out across 12 levels, but now I'm wondering where the rooms for Jan. 29 through Jan. 31 and then Feb. 1 through Feb. 4 will go.

Will these be bonus rooms on a previous level for your dungeon? Orphaned micro-levels off to the side? A bye week?

I, uhm, forgot it mentioned having 12 levels.... so I think that part of it might not happen for mine. We'll see. If nothing else I'm jumping around all over the place designing it and the levels will have nothing to do with when they were designed.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine

No rules - tell us what you do, and others may be inspired to follow your lead; or go their own way

(Edit to add: The only rule is do something every day for 365 days)
(Edit even further to add: if you can't hit every day for 365 days, do your best - but hey, we don't care what you do except that we appreciate any effort you put in and support whatever decisions are best for you and your mental and physical health!)

M_Natas

Hero

I organise only by month. The rest is flow.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases