D&D General #Dungeon23

M_Natas

Hero
Day 78 - Courtyard of the Warden's House (Crystal Mine)
View attachment 278821
Day 79 - Cellar Entrance Basement in Warden's House (Crystal Mine). Stairs lead to 76 - Cellar Entrance.

20230320_083639.jpg

M_Natas

Hero
Day 79 - Cellar Entrance Basement in Warden's House (Crystal Mine). Stairs lead to 76 - Cellar Entrance.

View attachment 278865
Day 80 - Cellar in the Warden's House / Diabolical Altar of Sacrifice (Crystal Mine)
We were deceived. The servants lured us into a trap by pretending to hate the Warden. In fact, however, they are in league with the devils and took us to the cellar to interrogate us and use us as offerings.

In the middle of the room was a devilish being surrounded by a distorted, fiery magic circle decorated with runes that were completely unknown to me. The creature had purple, scaly skin, claws instead of hands and feet, a long tail and snake-like outgrowths on its chin.

It asked us to reveal where we came from and why we were here. It asked us if we served the demons or belonged to the resistance....

I knew instinctively that under no circumstances should we tell him that we were from outside the city. But if we couldn't give him satisfactory answers, I feared that our fate would be sealed and we would end up as gnawed bones in the corner.
20230321_082326.jpg

gorice

Hero
Back yet again for the week's rooms. This time things have taken a disturbing turn. I've actually been holding back on the fleshy, chthonic body horror of this region, leaving it mostly implied, but I'll be glad to move on to a different sublevel tomorrow.

15: Cave entrance
  • Easy to miss, a small natural cave of rusty grey stone. About 4’ high.
  • From outside, the air feels cool, damp and musty.
  • From inside, there is a drought of dry desert air.

16: Nursery
  • A dozen molerat pups tucked into alcoves in the waxy walls; they lean their heads out and mewl for food as creatures pass them.

17: Guard Room
  • (!) A pair of hulking, bipedal, unsettlingly human-like molerat Hunters. Their arms are tipped with dagger-like claws.
  • The hunters are impassive, but will move to block intruders.

18: Queen’s Room
  • (!) The molerat god, an ogre-like creature, still, with a head covered in glassy black eyes. Bodies of molerats and humans dangle from Her back and sides – their heads fused to Her flesh.
  • (!) A pair of impassive Hunters flank the chamber.
  • (!) The god’s emissary, an eyeless former human chewing a deep lotus flower, sits by her feet. Offers interesting intruders the option of joining with the god and abandoning their cares, instead of being eaten.
  • (?) The God’s pheremones are what allow the hive to function in its current state. Her death would throw them into strife.

19: Lotus Garden
  • A lush thicket of bioluminescent flowers. Smells like death.
  • (?) Deep lotus is a well-known narcotic and entheogen that only grows underground.

20: Scriptorium
  • An uneven domed vault, its entire waxy surface carved with bizarre sigils. A lumpy statue made from wax and broken jewellery sits in the centre. Something crouches in the corner, busy with its work.
  • (!) The eyeless Molehuman Magus scratches runes with a knife. He can be persuaded to part with occult knowledge, in exchange for the murder of the god, so that his lover can ascend in Her place.

21: The Princess Usurper
  • An eyeless Molehuman with a pair of Hunters. She lovingly sharpens their claws with a file while humming tunelessly.
  • (?) The princess responds to all conversation with 'mmm hmm' and 'ahh'.

Continuing with Mausritter

This is a den of a powerful fox druid-sorceress type, named Meadhbh. From this den she casts spells and sees into the future and past. However, her spells require the fresh blood of pure-of-heart mice! She uses not pure-of-heart mice cultist followers to lure and entrap their brethren, two of which await ritual sacrifice. One of the cultists is actually a regular mouse, but has survived by just pretending to be a cultist.

Meanwhile, a Plastic Golem guards the entrance. This golem is a Mandalorian action figure that is missing an arm due to a battle with a malicious or careless child. There's probably a whole backstory there. Anyway, this Golem was saved by Meadhbh, and now serves her zealously.

Meadhbh herself is a "warband scale" adversary, meaning our mouse-adventurers are going to need some help if they dare take her on in combat, and she has various spells at her disposal. Or they can ask her to tell their fortune, if they are not themselves so pure-of-heart. I ran out of space again or else I would have gotten more creative with spells + treasure.

Den of Meadhbh.jpg

gorice

Hero
Continuing with Mausritter

This is a den of a powerful fox druid-sorceress type, named Meadhbh. From this den she casts spells and sees into the future and past. However, her spells require the fresh blood of pure-of-heart mice! She uses not pure-of-heart mice cultist followers to lure and entrap their brethren, two of which await ritual sacrifice. One of the cultists is actually a regular mouse, but has survived by just pretending to be a cultist.

Meanwhile, a Plastic Golem guards the entrance. This golem is a Mandalorian action figure that is missing an arm due to a battle with a malicious or careless child. There's probably a whole backstory there. Anyway, this Golem was saved by Meadhbh, and now serves her zealously.

Meadhbh herself is a "warband scale" adversary, meaning our mouse-adventurers are going to need some help if they dare take her on in combat, and she has various spells at her disposal. Or they can ask her to tell their fortune, if they are not themselves so pure-of-heart. I ran out of space again or else I would have gotten more creative with spells + treasure.

View attachment 279275
This is great. I especially like the Plastic Golem -- it's a joke, but also kind of terrifying for a mouse?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
3.20-24.jpeg

3.20 - 3.24 The Goblin King's Maze Labyrinth of Doom (Part I)

Long staircase from 3.20 leads up to (TBD)

In each numbered room, roll 1d6:
1. Empty
2. 1 minotaur
3. A condemned goblin, terrified out of its mind
4. 1 Broom Golem (sweeping)
5. A treasure chest (really a Mimic....of course)
6. Dead adventurer. Has scroll case containing a map of the maze. The map is accurate but inverted left to right.

Last edited:

M_Natas

Hero
Day 80 - Cellar in the Warden's House / Diabolical Altar of Sacrifice (Crystal Mine)
We were deceived. The servants lured us into a trap by pretending to hate the Warden. In fact, however, they are in league with the devils and took us to the cellar to interrogate us and use us as offerings.

In the middle of the room was a devilish being surrounded by a distorted, fiery magic circle decorated with runes that were completely unknown to me. The creature had purple, scaly skin, claws instead of hands and feet, a long tail and snake-like outgrowths on its chin.

It asked us to reveal where we came from and why we were here. It asked us if we served the demons or belonged to the resistance....

I knew instinctively that under no circumstances should we tell him that we were from outside the city. But if we couldn't give him satisfactory answers, I feared that our fate would be sealed and we would end up as gnawed bones in the corner.
View attachment 279203
Day 81 - Mountain Trail - Escape from the Crystal Mine

By the skin of our teeth we escaped from the cellar. The miners seem to be servants of devils, devils who conquered the city 1000 years ago and still live here, locked in their own realm. I wonder if the magician who sealed the city knew this?

That the inhabitants he locked behind the city walls with the demons and devils would still have to suffer under the bondage of the devils and demons 1000 years later?

When we set out to find the lost city, we rather expected that nothing would live in the city. That the greatest danger would be unstable buildings slowly crumbling under the weight of the years.

But obviously the devils have found a way to survive, enslaving the inhabitants and their descendants and creating a society that knows nothing else. A society without hope. A society that does not know that there is hope. A new hell has been created here and we are fleeing deeper and deeper into it, leaving behind the only known way out.

20230322_074342.jpg

M_Natas

Hero
Day 81 - Mountain Trail - Escape from the Crystal Mine

By the skin of our teeth we escaped from the cellar. The miners seem to be servants of devils, devils who conquered the city 1000 years ago and still live here, locked in their own realm. I wonder if the magician who sealed the city knew this?

That the inhabitants he locked behind the city walls with the demons and devils would still have to suffer under the bondage of the devils and demons 1000 years later?

When we set out to find the lost city, we rather expected that nothing would live in the city. That the greatest danger would be unstable buildings slowly crumbling under the weight of the years.

But obviously the devils have found a way to survive, enslaving the inhabitants and their descendants and creating a society that knows nothing else. A society without hope. A society that does not know that there is hope. A new hell has been created here and we are fleeing deeper and deeper into it, leaving behind the only known way out.

View attachment 279352

Day 82 - Guardians of Kyrthar Tahlketh
We continued to flee through the mountains from the devils and their hordes. For some reason, they broke off the pursuit when we approached a ruin in front of which stood a large statue. Next to the statue lay the corpse of a devil that had been lying there for a long time. Skin and bones had long since passed away and only the bones remained. Something here killed the devil and scared the rest so much that they do not follow us ...
20230323_131131.jpg

M_Natas

Hero
Day 82 - Guardians of Kyrthar Tahlketh
We continued to flee through the mountains from the devils and their hordes. For some reason, they broke off the pursuit when we approached a ruin in front of which stood a large statue. Next to the statue lay the corpse of a devil that had been lying there for a long time. Skin and bones had long since passed away and only the bones remained. Something here killed the devil and scared the rest so much that they do not follow us ...View attachment 279488
Day 83 - Ruin of a forge

There is no sign of our pursuers. It is as if they do not dare to come to this area. We continued walking and came to the ruins of an old forge. In front of it stood a statue. Her hands were a hammer and pliers. She looked to me as if she could come alive at any moment. I could feel the magic that lay dormant in her. Were these statues part of the ancient defenses of Kyrthar Tahlketh? Is that why the devils didn't dare come here? And if so, why didn't they attack us?

The forge looked tidy, as if someone had cleared away the debris after a battle. But if the devils hadn't ventured here, who had? Were there other survivors who had not been enslaved by the devils?

A hatch in the forge leading to the cellar is tightly closed. Who knows what is hidden underneath?
20230324_083519.jpg

Remove ads