• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons and the RPG Stigma

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The know-it-all mentality isn't just restricted to medical doctors.

Not restricted to, perhaps, but the medical profession certainly does seem to select for them (particularly among surgeons). It seems to be a trait positively associated with ability to withstand their education and residency.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Jobs where you have to deal with or consider people in bulk rather than slowly and individually carry that danger.

I suspect a different dynamic is at work in the medical profession, particularly when you consider that many of the worst offenders (surgeons) spend hours with individual patients' lives quite literally in their hands.

Zak S

I suspect a different dynamic is at work in the medical profession, particularly when you consider that many of the worst offenders (surgeons) spend hours with individual patients' lives quite literally in their hands.

Speaking as somebody who gets to watch it up close and personal every week on account of Mandy's condition--I don't think it is too different, especially for surgeons. There are guys who have surgeries more than one a day, are barely familiar with the patient's case and then, hours later, on to the next like delivering pizzas.

5 different people or more a week, 40 weeks of the year--you can start to get a "people in bulk" mentality. Anyone who's worked at a call center knows the feeling --MOST people want x so MOST of the time you make a lot
of assumptions for efficiency's sake that break down when you have to deal with a human being in full.

A good doctor tries as hard as possible to regard cases as individual, but in point of fact people are still enough of a mystery-- inside and out --that a lot of them rely hard on received or stereotyped views just to keep up with the volume of casework they take on.

Part of why it takes years for people with rare conditions to be diagnosed is because they spend years being given wrong diagnoses by doctors who assume there are no zebras and if it has four hoofs and a mane it must be a horse.

People in professions where they have 4 or 5 clients max (or one) or who don't have clients tend to get a more individualized view. Not necessarily a better one for all purposes, but one that relies less on sociological assumptions.

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Not an issue for me, but I can guarantee any of my managerial cohorts in other offices would have frowned on this....in theory at least not because it was D&D, but because it was non work-related material...although I suspect a guy with a Sports Illustrated lying on his desk instead of a DMG probably would get a pass from them (just a hunch).

This reminds me of Ursula K LeGuin's essay Why Are Americans Afraid of Dragons?

Death penalty abolition: 1400. Public instruction system, public health system...I don't know but I suspect it is not only a matter of religion. Anyway it was a joke.

1400? That doesn't sound right. Wikipedia says the last peacetime execution by firing squad in Italy was 1947.

Am I misunderstanding your point?

/tangent

Last edited:

Remove ads