D&D (2024) Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I mean...I don't practice Santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball, so I can't say that they won't fundamentally change the game in the future. But Tasha's Cauldron of Everything was not a fundamental overhaul of the 5th Edition game. It was some optional rules that the DM could adopt (and they were clearly labeled as such.)
The fact that those "optional" rules immediately became the law of the land moving forward makes that claim by WotC suspicious.

Edit: the wish list seems so conservative it makes 3.0-> 3.5 look like a total rewrite of absolute incompatibility
From what I remember, the 3.5 rewrite suffered from a lot of "mission creep" and was initially intended just to clear up a few rules, make a couple of classes a bit more interesting and maybe nerf the Haste spell.

Then the Pathfinder "re-write" changed lots of things (we were still finding changes years later; Sleep is now a 1 round casting time?) but some things they refused to change. You can change the Paladin's casting stat, increase the wizard's hit die and allow/force barbarians to track individual rounds of rage, but apparently giving Fighters more skill points would have ruined backwards compatibility?

So once you start a rewrite it is very easy to get carried away. I don't play much D&D these days, so it's more of an academic interest for me, but if they fix it so I never see the words "Leomund's Tiny Hut" on this forum ever again I'll be very happy.

FireLance

Legend
"Make balors as dangerous as wolves."
The irony is, this is 5e working as intended, specifically, CR assumes the PCs don't have magic items because they are supposed to be bonuses and not a requirement. Then, people complain when a party of high-level PCs decked out with magic items (random rolls on the DMG's treasure hoard tables using the guidelines for a "typical" campaign on DMG page 133 mean that a party of 4 PCs can expect about 5 major magic items per person by 20th level - something also stated in Xanathar's page 135) curb stomps something that is supposed to be a challenge.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
My dream would be a complete reworking of the format (from Core book layouts to better Character Sheets to reworked Monster Statblocks to the language used to write the rules... but very little (to almost no) rules changes (beyond balance-fixes).

Freshen it up for clarity and crispness. Keep it working essentially the same.
What would be the point of buying those books if you already own the 2014 versions? Is the new print intended only for new players going forward? I mean, if you care about the stuff they're supposedly updating, aren't you already playing that way now?

I just don't see why anyone who is playing now would buy these if the changes are as minor as everybody says.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What would be the point of buying those books if you already own the 2014 versions? Is the new print intended only for new players going forward? I mean, if you care about the stuff they're supposedly updating, aren't you already playing that way now?

I just don't see why anyone who is playing now would buy these if the changes are as minor as everybody says.
New art.

But anyone playing now isn't the target audience, new players are.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases