D&D General Dungeons and Dragons: The Makeup Set!!!

jgsugden

Legend
When we get a new D&D-themed needlework set, the circle will be complete.
D&DNeedle.png

jgsugden

Legend
This should worry you as fans of D&D - because it is an example of them trying to squeeze every dime out of the IP they can at one time. It is a sign they have the short term gains as the priority, and not the long term growth of the IP. I think it is outstanding when Etsy or another small venue gives us products that incorporate D&D, like the needlepoint above, but to do it on this scale is just choking the IP.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
This should worry you as fans of D&D - because it is an example of them trying to squeeze every dime out of the IP they can at one time. It is a sign they have the short term gains as the priority, and not the long term growth of the IP. I think it is outstanding when Etsy or another small venue gives us products that incorporate D&D, like the needlepoint above, but to do it on this scale is just choking the IP.
D&D bologna came out in 1982
Lunchboxes with the cartoon characters, who had nothing to do with the actual game, came out in the 80s too.

mamba

Legend
This should worry you as fans of D&D - because it is an example of them trying to squeeze every dime out of the IP they can at one time. It is a sign they have the short term gains as the priority, and not the long term growth of the IP.
I could not care less about this. WotC is not investing anything into this, they just license the name out. They are not investing resources in it, and whether it fails or succeeds has no impact on D&D.

Now what does worry me is their VTT, they spend a lot of resources on it, and if it does not work out, that will have a large impact on WotC and a giant one on D&D.

I think it is outstanding when Etsy or another small venue gives us products that incorporate D&D, like the needlepoint above, but to do it on this scale is just choking the IP.
how is it choking the IP, either it expands it or it fails and does nothing whatsoever. WotC can license the D&D name and logo to anything, I doubt it means anything to the IP

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think it is kind of fun. I don't know why anyone would find this objectionable. If I had daughters (or if my boys were into makeup), this would be a fun gift. The spell potion lip glosses are kinda cool and would have made a great stocking stuffer. I don't know why D&D t-shirts, socks, action figures, cookbooks, and branded alcohol is okay, but that this somehow crosses some line. I think it is good for the hobby and shows that companies are seeing opportunities to market the brand to a more diverse demographic.

As a DnD fan--and really with all things I'm a fan off--I'm not into collectibles and branded merchandise. But those that are are pumping money into the companies making the things I like, which benefits me indirectly. The only folks who can be harmed by this are the companies licensing the branding if there is not sufficient interest in it for them to turn a profit on it.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I thought it was going to be some sort of RPG boxed set aimed at estranged lovers.
I have to say that would actually be a cool idea for the large makeup box. Include an adventure or game that incorporates the makeup. I mean, I might even buy and play that. Give kids a reason to apply makeup to their parents or spouses each other. It would make for a hilariously fun family game night.

Remove ads