WotC Dungeons & Dragons Fans Seek Removal of Oriental Adventures From Online Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest 6801328

On that note, I am taking a break...this post does not have a lot of direct D&D content, other than my trust that those of us that like to roll dice and imagine things, can always find common ground as people.

My apologies to the Moderation staff, if this crosses the No Politics position of the board.
I respect EnWorld’s position, and as mentioned, will be taking a break from this thread.
I earnestly feel, this was something I had to write. I understand, if the Moderators feel the need to take more formal actions.

Yeah, I think I'm out, too. This isn't accomplishing anything, and I just find it depressing to see where so many of my fellow gamers stand on this.

Voadam

Legend
Honest question to all of you complaining about this: Were you going to buy it? Do you even still play those editions? What's the big deal?
I think its a terrible idea to ask for it to be removed, I think it would be a terrible idea for WotC to do it.

I was quite angry with WotC when they pulled all their D&D PDFs from sale for years.

I am against reducing the access to the back catalog of D&D.

I believe the Kwan guy who requested this is honestly offended, but I do not feel removing access to the books that offended him is a good objective.

Voadam

Legend
The is a bit in the first episode (about 24:10) where they criticise this statement in Gygax's introduction.

Oriental Adventures covers the classes of adventurers, weapons, armor, spells, magic, and even the special monsters that make the legend and myth of the Far East so rich and varied.

Saying weapons, armour and magic are all about violence so a stereotype of the Orient, "Gary is saying we took all the cool stuff of East Asian and put it into one" and later "that the myths and legends are only interesting to them, not the lived reality of East Asia". Seriously consider the PHB what aspects of European culture does it cover? Oh right the Weapons, Armour and Magic, because that's what D&D is about. Do we look into the lived reality of European peasants in the PHB and D&D in general or do we look at the myths and legends of European history, like knights, dragons, magical swords and naughty word. Why would a book on "Oriental Adventures" not be about the same aspects of the Far East like traditional D&D is about the myths and legends of Europe.

Yeah, that part of their critique stuck out to me as well as not exactly on point in the context of a D&D sourcebook.

Sadras

Legend
One thing I find interesting about all this, is that some people with whom I've nearly violently disagreed over, oh, warlords and metagaming and goal-and-approach, have views more aligned with mine on these topics. And vice-versa. And it makes me realize how ridiculously unimportant those other debates are.

One thing I find interesting about all this, is that some people with whom I've disagreed with over these issues fail to realise how rediculously unimportant these window dressing changes are to the true issues which exist out there.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One thing I find interesting about all this, is that some people with whom I've disagreed with over these issues fail to realise how rediculously unimportant these window dressing changes are to the true issues which exist out there.

If they are ridiculously unimportant, why are you arguing about them?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
And I find it depressing that we have a return of the "D&D is satanic" groups.

The D&D was Satanic folks weren't asking "don't portray most religious folks by their worst stereo-types" or "don't use real world iconography, scriptures, and beliefs from living religions disrespectfully". Weren't the extremes then asking for the game to remove all magic (because it's anti-biblical witchcraft) and never put it in again?

How is asking to not have the game unthoughtfully chock full of stereotypes the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases