D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves At San Diego Comic-Con

Attendees of San Diego Comic-Con this year will be able to immerse themselves in a 'Tavern Experience' promoting the upcoming D&D movie, Honor Among Thieves, IGN reports. It will be a 20-minute experience in which you can interact with D&D critters and characters. Additionally, guests can try both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions of 'Dragon Brew'. Additionally, on Thursday July 21st...

Attendees of San Diego Comic-Con this year will be able to immerse themselves in a 'Tavern Experience' promoting the upcoming D&D movie, Honor Among Thieves, IGN reports. It will be a 20-minute experience in which you can interact with D&D critters and characters. Additionally, guests can try both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions of 'Dragon Brew'.

Additionally, on Thursday July 21st, during the convention, the films cast will be on stage and fans will get a sneak peek at the movie, which is due out next year.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves includes in its cast Chris Pine, Hugh Grant, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, and more.

78B046E1-0EDF-4583-9D0F-93122BE2295E.jpeg

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
If they were doing it at GenCon and not ComicCon I'd be worried. That would mean that they didn't think it was going to fly with a wider audience and were trying to find the group most likely to accept the movie due to the name and hope they could build buzz that way. (They could still do something at GenCon for the movie - but skipping ComicCon and only doing something at GenCon would have me worried).

ComicCon means that at least someone thinks that this can compete on the same level as the other sci-fi/fantasy/superhero/action movie franchises that build buzz at ComicCon. It might be a low bar, but it's one that the previous D&D movies couldn't clear.
I also believe D&D's appeal in general has broadened over the last decade so the overlap between gaming and ComicCon is larger now. ComicCon also has expanded to include many popular geek culture topics, going well beyond comics.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
It bodes well for the studio thinking that the movie is worth the advertising budget at least. Studio suits can be wrong about what the public will and will not like, but someone with check writing authority apparently thinks it'll work if folks know it exists and is willing to promote it to build the buzz for it.

Me being a that-glass-isn't-just-half-empty-the-milk-also-looks-spoiled kind of guy I'm concerned that it could just be someone trying real hard to make a franchise to compete with Marvel or Lord of the Rings. But I'm still hopeful that even if that's the case the folks who want to do that understand that you need to have a movie that a large enough group of people like if you want to have a franchise...
Well, those ideas aren't in conflict, really. Yes, Hasbro and Paramount want to create an MCU-ish popcorn superfranchise...but D&D really could do that, with none of the baggage of the Lord of the Rings (the Hobbit movies were fun, but I couldn't get into them because they were a crime against literature: nothing in the Forgotten Realms will inspire that instinct). Basically infinite sequel potential, worlds already ripe fir serialized pulp adventure.

The really promising part is the behind the scenes people in charge: the director/writer team are legit.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
I wonder how long before the movies stories feed back to the rpg? If it’s successful.

Like a licensed adventure but it’s based in a D&D movie, written for D&D.
I dunno, I half suspect thst it may have already. I wouldn't be surprised if Vecna is already set to be the BBEG behind events in the movie.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Oh! Wait! What are the kids characters in Stranger things?! Do they match up to what we know about the movie?
I don't think so, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of Easter Egg.

My thinking is that WotC appears to have put a lot of work into designing a version of Vecna that is different from the Stranger Things entity...and the art theybshowed off looks like movie concept art and design work.

darjr

I crit!
I don't think so, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of Easter Egg.

My thinking is that WotC appears to have put a lot of work into designing a version of Vecna that is different from the Stranger Things entity...and the art theybshowed off looks like movie concept art and design work.
It was tv concept art. The artist said they were working with the Stranger Things production on Vecnas design for the show but the show decided to go in a different direction.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads