D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves could change D&D forever

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Even the MCU seems to be treading water - looks like Stark may have snapped the life out of it along with Thanos.

You sure about that? I mean, if you pull out the COVID movies (Black Widow, Shang Chi, Eternals ... all of them making about $400 million worldwide box office, which was pretty pretty good for the time), it seems that the movies are doing okay.

No Way Home (with Sony) made 1.9 billion, which is 800 million more than Far From Home.
Strange 2 made almost a billion, which was 300 million more than Strange 1.
Thor 4 made 760 million, which was 90 million less than Ragnarok but 115 million more than Thor 2.
Probably the only serious disappointment was Wakanda Forever, which still made a healthy 830 million, but also suffered from ... well, I think we all know.

I think that people are confusing the outsized performance of the Avengers movies with the more regular performance of the other Marvel movies.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I think that people are confusing the outsized performance of the Avengers movies with the more regular performance of the other Marvel movies.
A lot of the criticism of post-Endgame Marvel is less about the money and more about how directionless it feels. (That's actually how I took "treading water", but maybe I'm wrong).

Which - sure. The movies aren't all building to a climax the way the first couple of phases of Marvel movies did. But since I actually like having standalone stories I'm actually happy with it. And we all know we're getting back to the "everything is connected together and leading inevitably to the big bad guy" path sooner rather than later - the trailers for the next Ant Man & Wasp movie have set that up. I'd personally like a little more water treading myself.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I think WotC's best IP and story properties are the ones already seeing use: the villains. Demogorgon, MInd Flayers, and Vecna get name-dropped in Stranger Things (which I hope does not create confusion in audiences if we see them for real in a film or TV show sometime). The Red Wizards of Thay and Szass Tam are showing up in Honor Among Thieves. Unused as yet, but surely Strahd counts for something here.

After the villains, it's the places. The Realms, Eberron, Krynn, Ravenloft, Greyhawk have an essence about them that transcends any particular characters. And by places, I include famous dungeons here too: the Tomb of Horrors, the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, the Temple of Elemental Evil, the Ruins of Undermountain, etc., are wonderfully evocative names (even if the actual dungeons behind them are not always that great) that could be used. And let me say also that even a great dungeon would not necessarily make for a great film. IMO, dungeon crawling could be a tedious thing to watch. It needs to hit just the highlights in a show or movie; the Five Room Dungeon concept might be apt in this context.

Xyxox

Hero
I think WotC's best IP and story properties are the ones already seeing use: the villains. Demogorgon, MInd Flayers, and Vecna get name-dropped in Stranger Things (which I hope does not create confusion in audiences if we see them for real in a film or TV show sometime). The Red Wizards of Thay and Szass Tam are showing up in Honor Among Thieves. Unused as yet, but surely Strahd counts for something here.

After the villains, it's the places. The Realms, Eberron, Krynn, Ravenloft, Greyhawk have an essence about them that transcends any particular characters. And by places, I include famous dungeons here too: the Tomb of Horrors, the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, the Temple of Elemental Evil, the Ruins of Undermountain, etc., are wonderfully evocative names (even if the actual dungeons behind them are not always that great) that could be used. And let me say also that even a great dungeon would not necessarily make for a great film. IMO, dungeon crawling could be a tedious thing to watch. It needs to hit just the highlights in a show or movie; the Five Room Dungeon concept might be apt in this context.

Take it for what you will, but Strahd would be an awful choice for a movie. Besides being a direct ripoff of Dracula, the number of tropes would just never be accepted by modern audiences.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Take it for what you will, but Strahd would be an awful choice for a movie. Besides being a direct ripoff of Dracula, the number of tropes would just never be accepted by modern audiences.
The reincarnated love isn't actually part of Dracula's story but Francis Ford Coppola inserted it into his Dracula movie so, yeah, it'd look like a swipe from that, rather than potentially being the other way around.

But yeah, given how much of Ravenloft is wrapped up in book and movie Dracula tone, other than him having a problem with a lich rival, it'd take some serious work for it to look novel to a new audience.

Remove ads