Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves Movie Review

To say that the original 2000 Dungeons & Dragons movie was a critical failure is an understatement. By contrast, if the new movie, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves isn't a cinematic natural 20, it's at least a 19. PLEASE NOTE: This review contains spoilers!

DnD HAT Poster 2.PNG

Old and New​

The contrast between the two movies isn't just drastic, it also highlights why one succeeds while another failed. Courtney Solomon, producer/director of the 2000 film, used very little recognizable D&D content, chose Izmer as the location, and changed a lot of what it did use. The tone tried to be epic and funny in an unfortunate combination that did neither.

For D&D:HAT, producer/director/writers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein capture the feeling of a good D&D campaign – adventure, heroics, humor, and enough heart to make you care about what happens to the characters. While firmly grounding movie in Faerun's Sword Coast, it's never heavy handed. Characters don't name every spell or item used unless it's relevant and logical.

Xenk and Edgin.PNG

Set in the Forgotten Realms​

No actual knowledge of D&D or the Forgotten Realms is needed to enjoy the movie, so if you want to bring non-gamers to see it, they'll be just fine.

At the same time, the movie effortlessly establishes how Faerun is different from other fantasy settings like Middle-Earth or Westeros. Aarakocra, dragonborn, and tabaxi are just a few of the species depicted in addition to elves, tieflings, dwarves, etc.

The movie starts in Revel's End in Icewind Dale and soon provides a perfect in-story reason to recap Edgin (Chris Pine) and Holga's (Michelle Rodriguez) back story. This, along with how they met Forge Hugh Grant) and Simon (Justice Smith), are covered in detail in the prequel novel, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: Road to Neverwinter, but the movie explains everything you need to know if you haven't read the book. Soon, a personal yet epic quest begins to find the objects necessary to right a wrong, stop a plot by the Red Wizards of Thay, and reunite Edgin with his daughter Kira (Chloe Coleman), taking them to Neverwinter, the Underdark, Uthgardt Elk Tribe territory, and more.

And just like most D&D campaigns, plans are made and go astray before the crew improvises a solution. There's even one part that subtly reminds me of players ignoring a DM's plans to go off and do something else.

Simon brings Doric into the team, despite her reservations about humans. In her prequel novel, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: Druid's Call, a mysterious, human-led, well-financed group are cutting down a forest. The book's unresolved question of who and why is answered in the movie.

Daley and Goldstein are long-time D&D players, and it shows in how they constructed the story and brought Faerun to life. Yet while the movie mostly follows D&D rules, it does indulge in “the rule of cool” a few times, most notably Doric's ability to wildshape into an owlbear. A reason was provided for it in her prequel novel, but they're really doing it because it does look awesome. In fact, there's one scene where owlbear Doric thwamps a character in a way that might become as popular in pop culture as Hulk's thwamping of Loki.

Doric Simon Edgin Holga.PNG

Why Are They Working Together?​

The trailers raised questions as to why Regé-Jean Page's paladin would be working with a crew of thieves. The movie explains it well, and Page is terrific as Xenk, perfectly establishing how paladins are both useful and annoying. Scenes between Page and Pine also beautifully illustrate how different two Charisma-based characters can be.

I also love how they depict Holga. At a table, barbarians are often played as just brute force fighters. Holga shows how situational awareness, practical ingenuity, and brute force are even more effective combined.

The movie contains both actor and character cameos I won't spoil. Just pay attention to some of the other characters in the games sequence for some of them.

DnD HAT Poster 1.PNG

Should You See It?​

Based on the terrific job they did with the Spider-Man: Homecoming script, I was hopeful that Daley and Goldstein would pull off a good D&D movie. They actually exceeded my expectations. The movie is incredibly fun, and I genuinely laughed out loud at some dialogue. It simultaneously tugged at my heart in places, and in legitimate ways since it had laid the groundwork beforehand.

The movie is a self-contained story that leaves a ton of room for sequels. If one or two can match this, not only will it be a well-established franchise, but could also spin off into other parts of the D&D multiverse.

Stick around for a mid-credit scene that's just perfect in every way.

I can't wait until D&D:HAT is available for purchase. I know there are things in the background that I didn't quite catch. The mix of being an incredibly fun movie with being able to rewind it to catch all the Easter eggs and casual references makes it a must-buy for me.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves hits a perfect tone and blend of adventure, heart, and humor. A+

Last edited by a moderator:

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Im actually suprised people keep mentioning the Tabaxi, I thought the Aakarocka looked far far worse :) Halflings werent much better either

but at least the intellect devourer was fun
Huh. I thought the Aakarocka was better than either the Tabaxi or Dragonborn. The Halflings were rubbish, too.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I keep hearing bad things about this. Can someone elaborate? Spoiler tag as necessary …
It tried using forced perspective for the halflings, much in the same way that LotR did. Unfortunately, it didn't do it anywhere near as good at LotR did. Instead it just looked amateurish.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, this. It's the proportions more than anything else. You kinda expect halflings etc to have bigger heads etc in proportion to the rest of them. Lord of the Rings did that through camera trickery, and Vox Machina did the same through animation. Even most D&D art does something similar, if you look closely.

The movie just has you looking at them through the wrong end of a telescope, scaled down by half in every axis. Halfling heads are the size of a grapefruit, halfling chests are the size of a loaf of bread. They're disturbingly skinny. Serious uncanny valley territory.

(More than anything else, they reminded me of the tiny dancing xenomorph from Alien Covenant.)
Sounds more like 5E Gnomes than Halflings...?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Eh, they're not the best, but not a disaster as some are implying. Moreover, they're onscreen for all of like three minutes total.
of course its nitpicky, overall its a good movie so pointing out bad bits is just nitpicking. But being only 3 minutes highlights the fact the the movie is Human-centric - both the main protagonist and main antagonist are all Human (including the Tiefling), so when another race shows up on screen it does get highlighted more than if they were common throughout.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Saw it with my younger son, who plays D&D and my wife who is not much into fantasy but did like Game of Thrones and Wheel of Time. We all enjoyed it. I agree with what others said about the practical special effects for some of the races, but they didn't ruin it for me. If they were going to have a tabaxi, halfing, dragonborn, or aarakocra as a main party member, they would need to up their special effects game.

I've heard some people complain about it being too slow. I didn't find that at all, but I rarely agree with complaints about slow pacing in movies. If anything I usually complain about the opposite.

I read the two prequel novels and they were a good segue to the film and I think I got more emotionally invested in the movie because of having read the books. But I can't say that got all that emotionally involved in the story, mostly it was a light-hearted and fun fantasy movie that felts like a D&D adventure.

I still feel that D&D would do best with a TV series, but I was happy with how the movie came out.

OakenHart

Adventurer
Eh, they're not the best, but not a disaster as some are implying. Moreover, they're onscreen for all of like three minutes total.
Certainly not a disaster, I loved the movie and I'm glad I watched it (hopefully it's successful, I'd love to see more). Was just pointing out my agreement that the halflings were done poorly and temporarily pulled me out.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases