Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: The Feast of the Moon Review

All stops have been pulled out to promote the Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves movie, including a prequel graphic novel from IDW, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: The Feast of the Moon. Unfortunately, it makes mistakes I expected the two prequel prose novels to make.

All stops have been pulled out to promote the Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves movie, including a prequel graphic novel from IDW, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: The Feast of the Moon. Unfortunately, it makes mistakes I expected the two prequel prose novels to make.

DnD Honor Among Thieves Feast Moon cover.jpg

A Mixed Bag​

The other two novels, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: Road to Neverwinter and Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: Druid's Call were smart, touching, and did an excellent job of laying groundwork for the movie while telling two good stories. While not required to enjoy the movie, I do recommend them.

D&D:HAT:TFotM is a mixed bag. It starts with the titular story, The Feast of the Moon, written by Jeremy Lambert. Edgin, Holga, Forge, Simon, and Kira begin in the middle of a job that, of course, goes astray. Afterward, they end up in a troubled town preparing to celebrate the Feast of the Moon and end up helping the residents.

The problem with TFotM is that it's heavy handed and indulges in bad RPG fiction tropes, like characters referring to people they just met by their D&D class. The story is also predictable without any charm to make that less annoying. At the same time, it also has one plot twist that I don't think works and has a few plot holes. I don't even like the art because the characters don't resemble the actors even though the casting was announced early enough for the artists to take it into consideration.
Fortunately, the second story in the graphic novel, Xenk and the Helmet of Disjunction, is an improvement. Writer Ellen Boener begins with a simple premise – a paladin ends up with a powerful magic item that needs to be protected – and I wasn't expecting much. Then Xenk encounters some pilfering deep gnomes and while the story after that isn't earth shattering or incredibly inventive, it does have a charm and sense of fun that TFotM is missing. It even made chuckle a couple of times.

Feast of the Moon script sample.jpg

Add-Ons​

I was pleasantly surprised – and a little puzzled – by the add-ons at the end. An example of what a comic book script looks like and how it turns into a graphic novel is kind of cool since IDW is assuming the book might attract people who don't normally read comic books.

The 3D character art for the main characters is beautiful, but I'm not sure why it's included. The movie stills make a bit more sense since movie novelizations used to include photos from the film. Concept art for the Harper's Pin is cool. Photos of some movie props feel like they should be a teaser for the upcoming book, The Art and Making of Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, but it's not mentioned.

Feast of the Moon hero panel.jpg

Should You Get It?​

If you aren't a completionist, the IDW prequel graphic novel can be skipped – unless you really want Xenk's story and the supplemental art. The Feast of the Moon: C. Xenk and the Helmet of Disjunction: B+. The total graphic novel: B.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This was a shockingly bad tie-in comic. It actually makes me significantly less likely to try any other IDW D&D comics, which is the exact opposite of what they should have hoped to accomplish with this high-visibility project.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I liked the two prequel novels, Road to Neverwinter and Druid' Call. Easy reading for a long flight that we were entertaining and helped me enjoy the movie even more. The Feast of the Moon main story was disappointing, but the Xenk and the Helmet of Disjunction was far more enjoyable and like the two novels, gave some background that makes movie more enjoyable. I am glad that I read the Xenk story after I saw the movie, however, as it was a bit of a spoiler.

Remove ads

Remove ads