Dungeons & Ponies At Last

With the announcement that we will finally be getting an official My Little Pony role-playing game, it's worth noting that the franchise has been returning the favor by referencing its own form of Dungeons & Dragons -- Ogres & Oubliettes.

[h=3]Ogres & What?[/h]We've previously discussed the curious failure of parent company Hasbro to capitalize on the ownership of its two properties despite there being some common demographics between them: men who are fans of My Little Pony (bronies) and girls who play D&D. There are signs that's begun to change.

The first sign was the My Little Pony comic, "Neigh Anything ," the story behind Shining Armor's crush on his future wife, Princess Cadence. The geeky Shining Armor is helped by a trio of gamer friends who play a role-playing game called Ogres & Oubliettes: Gaffer, 8-bit, and Poindexter. Most notable is Gaffer, the group's game master and a pony with an eight-sided die on his flank, who masterminds an ill-fated plan to win the object of Shining Armor's affection using his RPG skills:

Gaffer: I have written 367 successful Oubliettes & Ogres campaign. If I can't come up with a quest for the hero to get the girl, I may as well turn in my nerd badge.

The second was the My Little Pony shirt in which all the characters were portrayed as their Dungeons & Dragons counterparts. Rainbow Dash's RPG character design would end up being used in a later MLP episode:

Hasbro is donating the net profits from the sale of these shirts to generationOn, which is the youth service division of Points of Light. GenerationOn is a charity that envisions a world where all kids and teens have the opportunity to make a positive mark on the world! They provide tools and resources to kids, teens, families, educators and organizations to help kids change the world and themselves through service. CelebrateFriendship Day all year long by wearing this awesome My Little Pony/D&D shirt whenever you play D&D or explore Equestria!

The series came full circle with the My Little Pony episode, "Dungeons & Discords ," in which Spike, Big Mac, and Discord get together to play a game of Ogres & Oubliettes. Discord considers the whole thing hopelessly nerdy but is eventually convinced that RPGs are cool -- although he prefers a LARP-style version with his own special effects in which the bad guys are all portrayed as cardboard miniatures.

Spike: What if we forgot the board and the pieces for a minute? I mean, the whole game coming to life was completely terrifying, but also kind of the best thing ever! So, uh, Big Mac and I were wondering... What if you toned it down just a teensy bit?

In both the comic and the cartoon, role-playing is portrayed in a positive light. So it's perhaps no surprise that there is finally an official RPG license for the franchise.
[h=3]About That RPG[/h]Shinobi 7, game studio co-owned by Ninja Division and Seven Seas Publishing, acquired the rights to the My Little Pony tabletop role-playing game from European game development studio River Horse Games. Ninja Division will distribute My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, a 152 full-color hardcover in March 2017.

The official RPG is late out of the gate (pun intended). Silver Games' Ponyfinder line has been popular for both Pathfinder and more recently the Fifth Edition of Dungeons & Dragons thanks to a Kickstarter that netted $32,491.

The demand for a Pony-themed has been building for some time in geek culture, and My Little Pony has reflected that interest in both in-universe and real-life role-playing games.
[h=3]Ponies and RPGS, Finally[/h]It's notable that the series is portraying role-playing games in a female-friendly franchise, a point the cartoon makes about the traditional "guy's night" game when the female ponies walk in on the LARP:

Twilight Sparkle: We should just close the door and let them finish... whatever this... is.
Rainbow Dash: No way! Did you see Big Mac's sword? I totally want in!
Pinkie Pie: Yeah! I don't know what it is, but it looks like super duper fun!
Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash: Guys' night!

We've come a long way since Wizards of the Coast mocked a My Little Pony RPG as an April Fools joke . With three different official shoutouts from the franchise, it seems Hasbro has finally recognized that My Little Pony's target audience includes both girls and boys who play role-playing games.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, and communicator. And yes, he bought one of those shirts for his daughter. You can follow their My Little Pony vs. Princes of the Apocalypse D&D campaign on Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

JeffB

Legend
:rainbowdashvoice:

Totally picking this up.

/rainbowdashvoice

My little one should love this. Her and I already play a Disney Princess improv rpg now and again.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
For more information about Tails of Equestria, check out the thread I started on it over on The Piazza. For the last ten months, I've been posting updates and news about the game as we've been shown more.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Ok, but can we agree that the most unbelievable part is the fact that Belle isn't the DM?!

Eh. I figure Belle is the player that has 10 pages of backstory for her character and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the rule books.

Snow White had to deal with 7 dwarfs (not dwarves), some with pretty severe emotional and mental issues. If anyone can handle 10 entitled princesses, it's Snow White. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases