Dungeonscape Answers

Gold Roger

First Post
Alternate class features just pushed this book over to the "must have" cathegory for me.

Can you tell us roughly what other ACF's the book offers?

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
Just looking at the excerpts...

I have seen "void door" before--I think in an OGC third party book. I thought it was from CMG's Plexus - Potent Portals, but I looked this morning and couldn't find it. Anyone else seen this before?

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Psion said:
It may be a little strong, though. I could see spirit of the fallen making a major difference in games.

Since they only pick that up at 20th level, though, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

Cheers,
Cam

Psion

Adventurer
Cam Banks said:
Since they only pick that up at 20th level, though, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

Good point. Yeah, the party is likely to have access to effects like that anyways, and to run into situations where it won't help, at that level.

MarkB

Legend
Razz said:
It only decreases the monster by one size.
Maybe someone could come up with an enhanced version, the Bonsai template. :lol:

Razz, you described how limited Inspiration Points are, but how are they recovered? Are they a daily resource?

I think I'd be tempted, if allowing the class in an Eberron game, to allow them to use Action Points in place of Inspiration Points and vice versa.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Knights in real life had large numbers of hounds. None that I know of were followed around by dwarf ponies.

I don't find My Little Pony particularly heroic. :p

Note how my first post in this thread talks about Small paladins, like halfings and gnomes, that would be riding the mounts in question. And how I said a Knight *on* Horse is cooler, IMHO, than Knight on Riding Dog or Knight with Dog. *Not* Knight followed by horse.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I like the idea of the factotum, but hate the name. It's very flavorless, and just sounds like obscure legalese. Journeyman wsn't great, but it was better than factotum.

Razz

Banned
Banned
Celeblas said:
@Henry and Pants
Although I'm not Razz I hope you don't mind me answering this question :D.
The best example for a Factotum is probably Indiana Jones (which incidentally is also used as an example in the class description). He evades and disables traps, is a scholar using his knowledge to unearth secrets and find hidden treasures, wields a whip and his gun can be translated into casting very few spells.
The factotum is something I'd call a true adventurer. Someone who is able to adjust on the spot to the threats presented.

All in all I have to agree with Razz that the book is pretty neat. Somehow I expected Cityscape to be far better than Dungeonscape and it's quite faszinating that it turns out the other way. So far I only have read bits of the book (my friendly not so local games store shipped it two days ago) but what I've read is pretty good.

Particularly I liked the Alternative Monster Feats Section, which gives a examples for a few classic monsters how to improved them just by swapping out one or two feats. This will lead to some pretty nasty surprises :). For instance a group of Dire Rats becomes a fairly tough encounter if you swap out Alertness for Swarm Fighting (Complete Warrior).

@Razz
Concerning Inspiration points. What happens if a Factotum uses one of his abilities before or after an encounter? Is he stuck with the number of points left from the last encounter? Somehow I cannot find a section covering this situation. Maybe I just overlooked it.

You pretty much got it right. I'll be posting details for the thread here soon, but they do not mention what happens when you use inspiration points outside an encounter. For now, I'll assume you have unlimited inspiration points outside encounters, but during an encounter they run out and replenish when it is over. Or maybe I will use the rules from Tome of Battle, where they reset 10 minutes outside an encounter.

Remove ads