D&D 5E <duplicate please delete>

Valdier

Explorer
So reading through the Soulknife I noticed, the can use this, anytime they fail an ability check. If they succeed they spend the point, if they fail they don't.

As a DM, how will you handle this?

Some examples:
"I search for a secret door" "You don't find anything, but... you know you failed, do you want to spend a die?" (They now know there is a secret door they didn't find)
"I would like to roll insight to see if they are being truthful" "You aren't sure... but you know you failed, spend a die?"
Perception checks (they know something is hidden so now it's time to alert everyone that something is hidden nearby)
Social checks (they immediately know if their deception worked or they are caught), etc...

Does this ability interfere with any mystery since they automatically know if they succeeded or failed in a roll?

How will you handle this and/or am I reading this wrong?

Torquar

Explorer
Don't tell them they fail until they spend the dice.
"I search for a secret door" "You don't find anything". "Can I spend a Psi dice?" "Sure."
If they roll high enough to find a secret door, they lose a die. If they still fail the roll or there is nothing to find, no die lost.

Valdier

Explorer
Don't tell them they fail until they spend the dice.
"I search for a secret door" "You don't find anything". "Can I spend a Psi dice?" "Sure."
If they roll high enough to find a secret door, they lose a die. If they still fail the roll or there is nothing to find, no die lost.
But that isn't how the ability is written to work? They know if they succeed or fail.

Remove ads