Dwarf height in D&D

WolfWhale

First Post
Hey all,

I was wondering: does height amongst dwarves vary as much as height amongst humans? I know that dwarves are typically about 4-5' tall, and that humans are about 5-6'. Humans can be well over 7', though, so I was wondering if its possible to have dwarves reaching 6'?

I'm going to be rolling up a Duergar barbarian soon and I was considering, as a secondary character detail, making him one of the tallest dwarves in the world...at around 6' tall. Do dwarves actually vary this much in the worlds of D&D, though? Specifically wondering about the main ones like Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk, though insight from any is welcome.

Thanks!

The height tables are in the PHB but can't really see why you couldn't be 6 foot if that is how you want to play the character - if it makes it more fun go for it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nothing about it would be game breaking, they are Medium sized. Maybe the Dwarf has more than a bit of Human, Orc and/or Elf in the family tree.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I’m suddenly randomly picturing an overly-tall dwarf carrying a poleaxe with a basketball hoop attached. After each battle, he plants it in the ground and dunks the enemy’s skull.

I blame the playoffs.

Coroc

Hero
Duergar had the enlarge as an inate spell like ability, i'd rather go that way but that's just me being old School grognard.

In my games dwarves are considered not to be larger than 4.5 ft, while being about 30 % broader than the average human.

More like , quadratic or so.

Otoh also elves are not just humans with pointy ears in my campaigns, they are slimmer (males are about 100-120lbs max.) and not above 5ft (except for darksun where they are 6ft to 7 ft)

Halflings and gnomes are the real midgets in my games, i tend to taunt my Players by often making NPCs mistaking them for children (depending on how common they are in given surroundings)

I know that dwarves are typically about 4-5' tall, and that humans are about 5-6'. Humans can be well over 7', though, so I was wondering if its possible to have dwarves reaching 6'?
Humans in D&D range from 4'10" to 6'4". Dwarves in D&D range from 3'10" to 4'8".

Ask your DM if their setting works differently.

Horwath

Legend
Humans in D&D range from 4'10" to 6'4". Dwarves in D&D range from 3'10" to 4'8".

Ask your DM if their setting works differently.

that is guideline for general population, let's say 90% of the race.

In NBA 6'4'' or 193cm is average for point guard, usually the lowest member of the team. Centers are at 6'10''(208 cm) or taller. You cant even get that on random height table.

So you could be a 6ft dwarf, but you would be 1 in 10,000 or even 1 in 100,000.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Two comments:

1: Humans are more variable than other races, I think - there are a lot more of them and a lot less insular.

2: Because dwarves are shorter, the variance will be less. Let's use an exaggerated example. An "average" human male is about 5'8", plus or minus 6 inches right? (there are shorter and taller, but it's a bit exceptional). Well a mouse isn't 1 inch tall, plus or minus 6 inches!

Combined those 2 factors and I don't think a 6 foot tall dwarf is "right". But say, slightly over 5 feet? sure!

Remove ads