• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E-Tools: Effective Character Levels (ECL) Workaround?

bitz

First Post
As stated, ECL is not supported at this time (says so right in the manual), so for example, a Drow in the FRCS setting can reach level 20.

I was just curious if someone figured out a work-around... I can see just setting limits by hand, but keeping track of XP on your character does not seem feasible....

Drat.

theoremtank

First Post
Well, I couldn't find reference in the database for anything dealing with experience (I'm not much of an access user), but I'm asssuming they somehow used the following formula for generating the required experience to reach the next character level...

XP( C ) = 500C(C + 1)

(Where C is the level you wish to know the minimum experienc your character must have)

If for instance you have a Forgotten Realms Drow ( who has a level adjustment of +2), then a formula for calculating the next character level experience could be

XP( C, A ) = 500(C + A)(C + A + 1)

(Where C is as defined above, and A is the race's level adjustment)

But a more useful formula (I'm assuming) might be just to add to the first formula above, the exprience adjustment. So this would be

XP( C, A ) = (500 C (C + 1)) + (500 A (2C + A + 1))

gariig

First Post
There are "ECLs" it's just they are based upon Hit Die. So a Drow has no ECL, but if you have it two hit die then it would become ECL +2.

On the other hand, where do you give it extra hit die in the race editor??

Gariig

Balsamic Dragon

First Post
The other problem is the question of whether ECLs should affect when you get extra stat points and feats. In my games, the ECL level does affect this, which makes things harder to program in ETools.

The approach I have tried, as yet without success, is to create a new class that gives absolutely no bonuses but merely acts as a place holder for an extra level. I'm still working on it, so I will let you know if I figure it out :)

Balsamic Dragon

bitz

First Post
Keep us posted on your progress; I'm entering monsters when I'm not posting. =)

So yeah, the problems are several:

2) You can make a race, such as Drow, a 2 HD critter and subtract the saves, Base Attack Bonus, Skill Points, and Hit Points out, I suppose.

3) The Bonus Ability Scores would have to be handled manually, but thats OK anyhow. It's already handled manually in ETools.

4) The XP will have to be handled on paper, it seems. It wouldn't seem to difficult to add a field in the Race Editor for ECL and use it in the XP calc, as mentioned above. Of course, it has greater implications than just 'adding' a field.

=)

Remove ads