E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Explorer
I admit that I hand out a lot of Conviction. 6/day is a lot. But it's become the cornerstone of my games.

6/day has been the difference between a rinse-repeat dungeon run over a 3-day period and a continuous, dramatic assault on an enemy's stronghold.

But more importantly, Conviction is about sharing the spotlight. Everybody has this limited resource in the same supply, so everybody knows how much of a sacrifice it is to take that extra move action to get into range of the lich, and then roll 2d20 to make that hit that you hope to god downs it. So people pay attention when another player uses Conviction. Moreover, once one character's Conviction is used up, the other charcters - by virtue of still having Conviction left - proceed to take those important, central actions.

I am convinced that balance in an RPG is about what people are paying attention to.* If it stops on one PC too often, or we only care about the camera when it's on one PC, it's not balanced. If the camera moves from PC to PC and we care about each PC's actions, then it's very well balanced. Conviction has, in my experience, improved the balance of my game.
* (although there's something else, not quite the same as balance, that's about using appropriate challenges - I use monsters whose CRs are in the usual range, but I like to make my combats meaningful so that usually means there's a few more combatants, or the battle flows more naturally from one dungeon room to the next, making the situation more difficult to match with the action-drama vibe)

joela

First Post
without conviction

rycanada said:
I admit that I hand out a lot of Conviction. 6/day is a lot. But it's become the cornerstone of my games.

How'd E6 handle before you implemented Conviction? I like the similar Action Points but many DMs don't. I know from experience APs can change the game flavor, especially at lower levels.

Ry

Explorer
Before Conviction E6 was "just" low-level D&D. That worked but it wasn't as action-adventure as I was looking for. I do think they work separately. That's why I kept the Drama rules in a separate section - they're not necessary to E6, but they're rules I do use. The last time I switched threads someone asked that the Conviction rules get posted right below E6 so they didn't have to flip between two webpages, so I included them both in the main E6 document.

Swanky_Yankie

First Post
After months of lurking I had to create an account just to congratulate rycanada on his fascinating E6 system and the equally fascinating discussion it has spawned. Well done! :)

About the Fighter balancing issue, here's my attempt at a simple, elegent approach that (hopefully) gives level 6 Fighters a bone without changing their core rules:

When choosing an Extra Feat, a level 6 Fighter may pick a fighter bonus feat that has a fighter level requirement higher than 6th so long as his 6 levels of Fighter + his total number of Extra Feats equal the fighter level requirement for that feat. The Fighter must meet all other Prerequisites for that feat.

For example, a level 6 Fighter may take Greater Weapon Specialization (requires fighter level 12) as his sixth Extra Feat (6 levels in Fighter + 6 Extra feats).

This effectively gives the Fighter access to special abilities in the mid-to-end game that other classes simply can not get. It is balanced by the fact that the feat must have the fighter bonus feat Special description, and the Fighter must meet all other prerequisites for the feat in question.

For additional balancing, DMs could create a feat(s) that Fighters must take to gain this ability. For example:

FIGHTER MASTERY [Fighter]

Your Martial prowess is without peer. Through training, dedication, experience, and blah blah blah you can take feats that Clerics and other mooks can't. Hot :):):):).

Prerequisites

Fighter level 6th

Benefits

See my previous blurb.

Special

Only 6th level Fighters can take this feat so nyah.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Swanky_Yankie said:
After months of lurking I had to create an account just to congratulate rycanada on his fascinating E6 system and the equally fascinating discussion it has spawned. Well done! :)

Thanks Swanky! Or is it Yankie?

I really think this is a great way to have more fun with your game of D&D.

There's been a lot of great suggestions for the fighter lately but I'm going to stay out of the fighter discussion for reasons posted earlier. :) I'm gonna focus on setting and getting my game ready :)

Ry

Explorer
There's a thread on an E6 setting in Plots & Places, but it hasn't gotten very far. Mostly people seem to be going in different directions, and I went back and forth on a few ideas.

I have this really great concept for a game but I don't know if I have enough time to get it together. I'm trying to create a setting of big, teetering dominoes just waiting for PCs to push them, but I also want to have fidelity with my other setting design advice (the amusement park method).

Kunimatyu

First Post
rycanada said:
There's a thread on an E6 setting in Plots & Places, but it hasn't gotten very far. Mostly people seem to be going in different directions, and I went back and forth on a few ideas.

I have this really great concept for a game but I don't know if I have enough time to get it together. I'm trying to create a setting of big, teetering dominoes just waiting for PCs to push them, but I also want to have fidelity with my other setting design advice (the amusement park method).

I'm currently looking at The Dictionary of Mu ( http://www.bobgoat.com/mu/ ) as a potential basis for my E6 setting. If nothing else, it'll be a fun read. Wilderlands of High Fantasy would probably also work very well.

joela

First Post
Wilderlands

Kunimatyu said:
Wilderlands of High Fantasy would probably also work very well.

Very. Plenty of places for both low and high (by E6 standards) magics (City of Mages) plus everything in between.

chris.crouch

Explorer
rycanada said:
You mean, like

1000 Level 2
3000 (Level 3 feat)
6000 Level 3
10000 (Level 4 ability point)
15000 Level 4

Pretty much, although I was adding in the idea of getting a bonus feat every level, so something like:

1000 bonus feat
2000 Level 2
4000 (level 3 feat)
6000 Level 3
9000 bonus feat
12000 Level 4
16000 bonus feat
20000 Level 5
25000 (level 6 feat)
30000 Level 6
(numbers just made up - I'd certainly tweak them a little)

although I like your idea of adding the level 4 ability bump as a separate thing.

Note that I'm not sure that slower advancement is necessary, just that if I were going to do it this is what I'd do.
----

Another tweak that I'd make to E6 is changing the ability feats so that Ability Training isn't a 'dead' feat:

Ability Training
You spend time honing one of your Abilities: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.
Benefit: Choose one Ability; you qualify for the Ability Advancement feat for that Ability. You also get +1 on all skill and ability checks based off of that ability.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another ability.

Ability Advancement
Your training pays off, and one of your Abilities increases.
Benefit: Choose one Ability. You gain a permanent +2 bonus to that ability. You lose the benefit of the Ability Training feat for that ability.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times, its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat it applies to another ability.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases