• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joela

First Post
Probs with E6

rycanada said:
Before Conviction E6 was "just" low-level D&D.

On the face of it, E6 sounds like a simple yet beautiful implementation of DnD in emulating many a fantasy novel w/o massively modifying the rules. Personally, I can't wait to approach my players about giving it a shot.

However, all the reading and discussion in the world can't substitute actually play. As far as I know, only rycanada has actually used E6 in real-world scenarios. ry, could you share with us any major issues that you faced in your games? What did your players dislike about the system? And what did you do, if anything, to resolve it?

Thanks!

Ry

Explorer
There was another GM that ran it, I think it's Chocobo over at RPG.net that was surprised to see that they'd used basically the same thing (he thought I was the same guy). They said it worked great.

Honestly, my guys have tried a few systems, and the complaints when I started E6 back in the day were about random lethality and the ineffectivness of Eberron-style action points. I've used Conviction since then, that worked great to solve the drama issue. The death flag is my solution to lethality, but has only been playtested once since.

My previous games had lots of complaints about my endless and hard-to-keep-track-of tweaking. E6 solved that (even though I still was occasionally making up or adding feats to the available pool).

Shazman

Banned
Banned
New feats aren't exactly tweaking, just adding new options. Feats are a standard part of the game. Otherwise, every splatbook would be "tweaking".

Ry

Explorer
Yep. That's why they liked it. I used to be an incorrigible tweaker. E6 helped me let go :)

Ry

Explorer
Oh, and please let me know about these happy cross-postings :)

The Midnight one was cool.

Ry

Explorer
Oh, yeah. That's a great article; it really hits on what E6 is about. I think it was linked in E6's previous thread (man, this thing is getting a lot of posts).

WhatGravitas

Explorer
rycanada said:
Yep. That's why they liked it. I used to be an incorrigible tweaker. E6 helped me let go :)
Hehe! Funny, after I've read E6, I feel the same. I'm a tweaker as well, and... I'm usually never happy. But E6? Great concept... I can channel all my creative overflow into new feats, thus my players will never really feel "cheated", because nothing changes, you just more goodies to choose.

Now, I'm off to convincing my group of the awesomeness of E6 (or AE7 in my case).

(heck, I've even thought of abandoning AE for D&D with E6)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads