E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ry

Explorer
I want to hear all about AE7, honestly. I've got AE and I thought there would be issues (quickling faen unfettered builds, sorcerous blast-heavy magisters) but if they don't materialize that would be fantastic.

Ry

Explorer
Lord Tirian said:
(heck, I've even thought of abandoning AE for D&D with E6)

I see you're also an incorrigible editor (so we have 2 things in common)

D&D with E6 can handle a LOT of concepts, thanks to splats. There's something like 60 base classes now... and a nigh-infinite supply of feats. Just crack open a dragon magazine and it goes from "Cool feat, but I'll never use it because I don't get enough" to "Cool feat! I'm so going to take that!"

joela

First Post
feats

rycanada said:
... and a nigh-infinite supply of feats.

That's a gross, gross, understatement. Has anyone complied a list, book, or pdf of either every OGL(?) Feat out there or even closed ones (or both)?

knight_isa

First Post
Conviction

Have you used Conviction to dual-roll (and take the higher) or re-roll anything other than d20s, like weapon/spell damage? I've seen crits at key moments flop, doing much less than regular max damage, and 10d6 spells do 14 points of damage (save for 7).

I could also see a desire to re-roll cure spells cast in the midst of combat that heal the minimum amount. Heck, since I have the players roll for the random encounter check, I could even see a desire to re-roll that.

If you haven't done it, do you see anything wrong with it? At the moment, I can't see that it'd change play much more than your current Conviction rules do.

Ry

Explorer
I did allow the re-rolls you were talking about, although the only thing that was ever used was a few re-rolls of one's own damage dealt. This was very seldom used though; I'm not sure why.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I recently thought of another implication that is a result of E6's level cap. It seems that it would make playing a human much less desirable. With only 1 level based ability score boost and less powerful ability score boosting items, the +2 to an important stat for playing a half-orc or dwarf (for example) seems much more valuable. You are only losing one feat, and you will get that back your first 5K of experience after 6th level. Have you noticed less human PC's in your game? What do you think of having the ability score boosts at 3rd and 6th level instead of at 4th and 8th? I know this is tweeking, but it really doesn't change the game that much.

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
Shazman said:
I recently thought of another implication that is a result of E6's level cap. It seems that it would make playing a human much less desirable. With only 1 level based abiltiy score boost and less powerful ability score boosting items, the +2 to an important stat for playing a half-orc or dwarf (for example) seems much more valuable. You are only losing one feat, and you will get that back your first 5K of experience after 6th level. Have you noticed less human PC's in your game? What do you think of having the ability score boosts at 3rd and 6th level instead of at 4th and 8th? I know this is tweeking, but it really doesn't change the game that much.

I think this is a very valid point -- like the fighter, anything that grants bonus feats is now significantly less powerful. Fighters can be fixed by granted them powerful Fighter6-only feats, but humans need something else -- even the extra skill piont doesn't matter, since the Open Minded feat grants extra skill points when taken, and can be taken repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads