• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Eat Your hearts out my fellow gamers" Vol 2

Agent Oracle said:
Sorry billy, i got you beat.

I work for Random House. You know, the guys who distribute all WotC related materials?

Well, about once a month, Random House gives away free "hurt" books to their employees. In most cases, it's books so old that nobody wanted to buy them, or else books that got "damaged" at some point in their packaging.

In most cases, it's somethign as minor as a dog-ear in the middle of the book, or a tiny rip in the cover.

I got... Lemmie see if i remember.

1. Colossal Red Dragon (package had 2-inch rip)
1. Gargantuan Blue dragon (ditto)
1. Copy "Complete Scoundrel" (tiny dent in spine)
4 boosters: D&D minis (assorted sets, slightly crushed, figures unharmed)
3 boosters Star Wars minis (starships starter packs, also slightly crushed, figures also unharmed.)

All free.

Yeah. Working for the publisher has it's perks.

I hate you!

Olaf the Stout

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kaodi said:
"Kid"ding aside, that is an awesome picture of you two. Power Word: Photoshop is a great spell.

Hey, you're right...!

-Hyp.

Attachments

• tb.jpg
    tb.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 137

Mycanid

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
To show, however, that there is balance in the universe; as I was perusing the wares an obvious "D&D Geek" approached me and began regaling me with tales of what he considered the "best trap ever" (it involved guessing prime numbers on a wheel and arranging the wheel so it lined up with a calendar of days of the week (or somehting) do it wrong and a trapdoor opens that 'sends your guy to the bottom level of hell')

When I commented that that seemed a bit harsh, he ignored me entirely and began to describe another trap that involved the use of an enlarge spell and a Magic Mouth and some other damn thing to trap PCs in a room.

I had no real response to this other than "mmm-hmmm" and a continuing effort to mind my own business.

he then asked if I knew where to find a group to play in Vancouver or Victoria and I recommended meetup.com and started gathering up my purchases.

As he scooted around into my line of sight again, I was informed that "Gold Elves are the best race...not Dwarves like most people think" (?), and a treatise on the subject began to be lectured to me.

My wife intervened at this point with a fairly terse "Kid? This conversation is over. Beat it."

How sad is it that my wife is now bodyguarding me from the socially retarded this way? When did I go soft?

His closing, anguished cry of "You're buying up all the good books man!!!" was just the final...I don't even know what.

Meanie. :]

Taking all the books from the next generation of gamers at such disgusting bargain rates is a horrible thing to do!

I mean, how unfair!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mycanid

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
Sorry billy, i got you beat.

I work for Random House. You know, the guys who distribute all WotC related materials?

Well, about once a month, Random House gives away free "hurt" books to their employees. In most cases, it's books so old that nobody wanted to buy them, or else books that got "damaged" at some point in their packaging.

In most cases, it's somethign as minor as a dog-ear in the middle of the book, or a tiny rip in the cover.

I got... Lemmie see if i remember.

1. Colossal Red Dragon (package had 2-inch rip)
1. Gargantuan Blue dragon (ditto)
1. Copy "Complete Scoundrel" (tiny dent in spine)
4 boosters: D&D minis (assorted sets, slightly crushed, figures unharmed)
3 boosters Star Wars minis (starships starter packs, also slightly crushed, figures also unharmed.)

All free.

Yeah. Working for the publisher has it's perks.

I take it back TB ... you are the SECOND worst meanie. :\

Aus_Snow

First Post
This is one of the reasons I don't frequent the FLGS around here.

Maybe I don't get the "flypaper for freaks" award, like some poor sods :p, but there are enough of them on a depressingly regular basis, that I often can't be bothered.

Once, there was this idiot who, after having apparently taken a shine to me and my girlfriend, proclaimed (LOUDLY) how he was in fact a MAGE, was a member of the FREEMASONS, and so forth.

And he is not the worst, thus far.

Oh - plus, their prices are not that great.

pogre

Legend
Teflon Billy said:
To show, however, that there is balance in the universe; as I was perusing the wares an obvious "D&D Geek" approached me and began regaling me with tales of what he considered the "best trap ever" (it involved guessing prime numbers on a wheel and arranging the wheel so it lined up with a calendar of days of the week (or somehting) do it wrong and a trapdoor opens that 'sends your guy to the bottom level of hell')

When I commented that that seemed a bit harsh, he ignored me entirely and began to describe another trap that involved the use of an enlarge spell and a Magic Mouth and some other damn thing to trap PCs in a room.

I had no real response to this other than "mmm-hmmm" and a continuing effort to mind my own business.

he then asked if I knew where to find a group to play in Vancouver or Victoria and I recommended meetup.com and started gathering up my purchases.

As he scooted around into my line of sight again, I was informed that "Gold Elves are the best race...not Dwarves like most people think" (?), and a treatise on the subject began to be lectured to me.

My wife intervened at this point with a fairly terse "Kid? This conversation is over. Beat it."

How sad is it that my wife is now bodyguarding me from the socially retarded this way? When did I go soft?

His closing, anguished cry of "You're buying up all the good books man!!!" was just the final...I don't even know what.

You definitely paid for those books...

Good for your wife! Mine would have done something similar - at a convention she came to bring me something to eat for a game I was running. One guy smelled really badly and she let him know it. He excused himself from the table and everyone there sighed a huge breath of relief (and fresh air). I kept thinking, "Why didn't I have the brass to do that 2 hours ago?"

Remove ads