Eating Cicadas (and other bugs)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As a Creole who knows his biology pretty well, I fully realize that I’m being inconsistent in my eating most wet arthropods (and other invertebrates) and not very many dry ones. I also recognize that North American and European culture in general at far less insect based proteins than Asian, African, and Central/South American cultures do.

I can’t help it.

I’m an otherwise adventurous eater, but the few times it has been an option, I’ve balked. We’re friends with the family that runs a Columbian restaurant we’ve dined at for over a decade, and one time, the eldest son (and chef) brought out a jar of roasted, salted hormigas culonas, a.k.a. Big Ass Ants (literally)*, a treat where he’s from. Dad tried one, said it tasted like an extra crunchy roasted peanut. I said that I’m not a big fan of peanuts (absolutely true), so someone else could have mine, thank you very much.

Apparently, mapona/mopane worms- actually a kind of caterpillar- really do taste like chicken (as immortalized in a hilarious old Food Network commercial). And there are African groceries near me that sell them in frozen 1lb blocks. I’ve seen recipes...and can’t bring myself to try them.

The closest I’ve come to actually WANTING to was 2012. The UK Olympic village had one particular restaurant that was trying to cater to global palates, and they were serving some kind of ant they had to import in huge numbers because they were not traveling well (high mortality rate)...and they were a big hit. Supposedly, they tasted like lemon drops. That intrigued me, and I probably would have tried them...but I was nowhere near England at the time, so I missed out.

* Hormigas culonas in Colombia - Colombian edible ants in Barichara | Eat Your World

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
What do you think it would take to shift a modern population to a bug-based protein diet?
I had chapulines (grasshopper) tacos in Mexico on a dare from my sons, two tacos in fact, they were fine. My wife and sons both tried them afterwards. Shrimp, and a lot of seafood like that are bugs as well. However, "bug based" I don't know if that is feasible; larger animals take less food to be large, but take more food because they are large.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I've had roasted and salted mealworms before, and they're actually pretty good. The taste reminds me of soy nuts and toasted rice snacks.
My daughter bought a bag of these with nacho cheese flavor at our zoo!

she begged and begged until I ate one too.

edible. Surely edible.

Ryujin

Legend
This place, in Ontario, Canada, was featured in several news stories a couple of years back. Their stuff is also available through Amazon Canada. If I can find one of the videos, I'll post that too.

pukunui

Legend
I would be willing to try eating bug burgers or whatever if it weren’t for the fact that they say to avoid bugs if you’re allergic to shellfish, which I am. I’m afraid switching to bugs as a source of protein may not be an option for me.

Ryujin

Legend
BTW, something I’ve known for years is that one of the exceptions to westerners eating bugs is carmine, a red food coloring made from South American beetles and used in all kinds of things, like maraschino cherries.

When I started reading the first sentence, I thought you were going to be talking about the FDA's rules for allowable levels of "contaminants" in processed foods :ROFLMAO:

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I would be willing to try eating bug burgers or whatever if it weren’t for the fact that they say to avoid bugs if you’re allergic to shellfish, which I am. I’m afraid switching to bugs as a source of protein may not be an option for me.
That's a good point!

Unfortunately in our bug-filled future, people with shellfish allergies will be stuck eating bacon, prime rib, and fried chicken while the rest of us feast on succulent cicadas.

Remove ads