Eberron It Is? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

As I said in the other thread, the question is now whether we're just going to see DMs Guild and PDF support, or whether, once the psionic and artificer rules are set, we'll be seeing something more substantial in the way of an actual published book. I have a feeling that once the necessary rules are in place (with a likely rules expansion book early next year for new classes and races), we'll...

As I said in the other thread, the question is now whether we're just going to see DMs Guild and PDF support, or whether, once the psionic and artificer rules are set, we'll be seeing something more substantial in the way of an actual published book. I have a feeling that once the necessary rules are in place (with a likely rules expansion book early next year for new classes and races), we'll be seeing a full book, and this is just to whet the appetite and get things started...

Mercule

Adventurer
Your dismissal of Eberron as not "a really good setting" is telling, especially given your error in stating the setting was not updated for 4e - Eberron had a Player's Guide, a Campaign Guide, and an adventure in 4e, same as Dark Sun.
What's more, Keith has actually said that there are several things about the 4E iteration of Eberron that he prefers over the original (Dragonmarks, for example).

Eberron was absolutely updated for 4E.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So, this is the first Splatbook launched in PDF form, and it's a (currently) Living Document that will eventually become POD when it's polished? (Which means, it's basically Early Access right now)

That's surreal. I figured that D&D Beyond and other such Apps were going to be the digital distribution method for current edition books. And I would have never imagined WotC to sell a book before it was totally finished.

And the new Unearthed Arcana installment is rules for changelings, kalashtar, shifters, and warforged.

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/723UA_EberronRaces7232018.pdf

Imo, this deserves it's own thread, if only to separate the feedback between the UA and the PDF.

gyor

Legend
What, in your opinion, makes those "really good" settings.

So, this is the first Splatbook launched in PDF form, and it's a (currently) Living Document that will eventually become POD when it's polished? (Which means, it's basically Early Access right now)

That's surreal. I figured that D&D Beyond and other such Apps were going to be the digital distribution method for current edition books. And I would have never imagined WotC to sell a book before it was totally finished.

Imo, this deserves it's own thread, if only to separate the feedback between the UA and the PDF.

D&D Beyond will likely offer their own version.

Lot of people asking about this for Eberron - not until the content is 100% sealed. Mechanics will run through UA and be updated in the PDF. Once those are done - and artificer added - we'll turn on POD.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1021493084536881159?s=20
And the appropriate bit from the intro:

"Bear in mind: this book presents my vision of Eberron. This is the world I run at my own table, and the way that I’ve converted its ideas to the fifth edition rules. All of the material here is presented for playtesting and to spark your imagination. The game mechanics are in draft form, usable in your campaign but not refined by final game design and editing. They aren’t officially part of the game and aren’t permitted in D&D Adventurers League events. If Wizards of the Coast decides to make this material official, it will be refined based on your feedback and then appear in a D&D book. Beyond that: Eberron is your world as much as it is mine. I hope that this book provides you with inspiration, but don’t be limited by my ideas or decisions. Think of this as something you can build upon, not a codex of absolute law.

Welcome to Eberron: let’s explore!"

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Your dismissal of Eberron as not "a really good setting" is telling, especially given your error in stating the setting was not updated for 4e - Eberron had a Player's Guide, a Campaign Guide, and an adventure in 4e, same as Dark Sun.

I think this is where God disappears in a puff of logic!

Kurotowa

Legend

If you think about it this isn't an entirely new business model. It's exactly what buying an Early Access video game on Steam is like. You pay now for immediate access, get updates for free as they're patched in, and have the option to re-buy the deluxe physical release when it's finished. The only difference is that WotC is trying to apply that scheme to a rulebook instead of a video game.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I have to give them points for trying to update the publishing business model to the digital age.

ETA: And my mind was running faster than my reading comprehension, because you also called out Early Access as the model they're obviously using. Doh. Still, I can't fault WotC for trying to steal a successful idea like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads