Eberron to get it's own season 8 AL campaign around the time Dragon Heist is released

Yaarel

He Mage
Certain religions count as Gods mechanically even if they don't contain any Gods, example Undying Court, which they accidently made AL legal.

The problem is, there is no *rule* that actually says a nonpolytheistic religion counts as ‘gods’.

Xanathars Guide, a supplement, has a note that in effect invites the DM to consider religions that revere a cosmic force or sacred philosophy. However, if the DM does so, the DM ceases to play official D&D and is defacto homebrewing.

The core rules must become more subjective, diverse, and open about the many different kinds of religious views, before it is able to meaningfully integrate worlds like Eberron, Ravnica, and Darksun, into a supersetting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm more curious to see how it works with the PHB+1 rule...

Pretty straightforward, I should think: the racial options or Dragonmarks would require the Way finders Guide to be the +1, if you aren't a Warforged or Dragonmarks house member you can use a different book. Fluff pieces don't come into build considerations.

Yaarel

He Mage
The 5e mantra when it comes to rules is: the specific over rules the general. They simple need to have a specific rule for Eberron. Nothing to see here.

The problem concerns the building of an official supersetting that includes Eberron − which contradicts the official rules.

Yaarel

He Mage
I’ll be quite curious to see how this plays out. Will there be cross-play (say, spend X number of Downtime Days to travel to Eberron or Ravnica or Faerun) or will they be kept separate? They’ve talked repeatedly about not wanting to fracture the brand, and allowing portability seems like it would help avoid that.

It sounds like all of the settings will be completely mixed together. For example, Crawford mentioned archfiends from Forgotten Realms invading Eberron.

Forgotten Realms elves will be learning Eberron elves religions. And visaversa.

There will be peas all over the mashed potatoes − and mashed potatoes smearing all of the peas.

dave2008

Legend
The problem concerns the building of an official supersetting that includes Eberron − which contradicts the official rules.

How. I'm not familiar with the precise wording of the issue. Care to elaborate or let me know where to look it up? I just don't see how this is an issue, but maybe I am ill informed.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
It sounds like all of the settings will be completely mixed together. For example, Crawford mentioned archfiends from Forgotten Realms invading Eberron.

Forgotten Realms elves will be learning Eberron elves religions. And visaversa.

There will be peas all over the mashed potatoes − and mashed potatoes smearing all of the peas.

Thanks to Evermeet gaining Elven immigrants from other worlds, this makes sense.

gyor

Legend
The problem is, there is no *rule* that actually says a nonpolytheistic religion counts as ‘gods’.

Xanathars Guide, a supplement, has a note that in effect invites the DM to consider religions that revere a cosmic force or sacred philosophy. However, if the DM does so, the DM ceases to play official D&D and is defacto homebrewing.

The core rules must become more subjective, diverse, and open about the many different kinds of religious views, before it is able to meaningfully integrate worlds like Eberron, Ravnica, and Darksun, into a supersetting.

XGTE lists the Undying Court as a God in the Grave Domain.

dave2008

Legend

Sorry but that doesn't help at all. I asked for specifics and you gave me nothing. Just because you say it contradicts doesn't mean that it does. Again, if you can quote a specific issue or even the relevant pages of the PHB, I would gladly work through it with you.

To me this is a non-issue so I have no desire to comb through the PHB for some small text that has 0 affect on my game. But if you can give some guidance I wouldn't mind helping out.

Remove ads