D&D 5E Eberron versus Multiverse

Yaarel

He Mage
Both Eberron and Forgotten Realms are kitchen sink settings. So, it takes effort to keep the two distinct from each other.

I strongly like the diverse kinds of spirituality in Eberron, and strongly dislike the objectively-factual polytheism in Forgotten Realms.

So, it is important that the Forgotten Realms setting lacks existence in the Eberron setting.

I am combing thru the new official book, Eberron: Rising from the Last War. I want to find all the references to the Forgotten Realms specifically or to the any connections to the Multiverse generally.

The goal is to clarify precisely what the official view is, with regard to whether or not Eberron connects to the same Multiverse that Forgotten Realms is part of.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Both Eberron and Forgotten Realms are kitchen sink settings. So, it takes effort to keep the two distinct from each other.

Sorry, strongly disagree with this premise.

Eberron and FR, despite sharing some mechanical overlap such as races, are very distict in terms of lore. And in Eberron's case, that lore tightly weaves with the setting elements to make them uniquely favorful within that setting, leaving no points of overlap.

Yaarel

He Mage
Unfortunately, it appears that Eberron is officially "in the D&D multiverse".

On the bright side, the world of Eberron lacks "the direct influence of the gods". The setting is the result of evolution. Polytheistic gods − including the gods of the D&D multiverse − are irrelevant to the existence of Eberron.

Page 5
"
7. D&D with a Twist. Every race, monster, spell, and magic item in the Player's Handbook, Dungeon
Master's Guide, and Monster Manual has a place somewhere in Eberron, but it might not be the place
you expect. Eberron has a unique spot in the D&D multiverse, and many familiar elements of the game
play different roles in the world. In particular, mortal creatures are products of culture and circumstances, rather than the direct influence of the gods. As a result, you can't assume that a gold dragon is good or a beholder is evil; only in the case of celestials, fends, and certain other creatures whose identity and worldview are shaped by magic (such as the curse of lycanthropy) is alignment a given.

"

I like how the religious views of Eberron are presented subjectively and agnostically:

Page 5
"Every child knows the story of ..."
"Almost every culture in the world shares this story as a myth that explains ..."
"Another tale shared across cultures describes ..."

gyor

Legend

I strongly like the diverse kinds of spirituality in Eberron, and strongly dislike the objectively-factual polytheism in Forgotten Realms.

So, it is important that the Forgotten Realms setting lacks existence in the Eberron setting.

I am combing thru the new official book, Eberron: Rising from the Last War. I want to find all the references to the Forgotten Realms specifically or to the any connections to the Multiverse generally.

The goal is to clarify precisely what the official view is, with regard to whether or not Eberron connects to the same Multiverse that Forgotten Realms is part of.

The only one I can think of is Lantan being mentioned in a sidebar in the Artificer section, but I haven't gone through anything.

There is more to FR religion then just the objectively factual Polythiesm, there is the Loregiver, Adama, Path of Enlightment, and more.

And you view of these settings is extremely shallow and simplistic.

Yaarel

He Mage
Eberron and FR, despite sharing some mechanical overlap such as races, are very distict in terms of lore. And in Eberron's case, that lore tightly weaves with the setting elements to make them uniquely favorful within that setting, leaving no points of overlap.

I agree Eberron and Forgotten Realms are distinct.

But the distinction between them is fragile, and becomes destroyed if Forgotten Realms lore intrudes into the Eberron setting and absorbs the Eberron setting.

Forgotten Realms is the Star Trek Borg that assimilates all D&D settings.

It is important to keep Eberron separate and whole.

Last edited:

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain

But the distinction between them is fragile, and becomes destroyed if Forgotten Realms lore intrudes into the Eberron setting and absorbs the Eberron setting.

Forgotten Realms is the Star Trek Borg of all D&D settings.

As far as I can tell it is. The only references to FR are basically the artificer class and some suggestions about how it would fit in different setting. Beyond that Eberron is part of the D&D multiverse, but not affected by it. Mordenkenian's Tome of Foes mentions Eberron in passing at lesat one in a side bar.

On the whole though the setting is distinct and separate, with a bit of material about how you might make it not so should the DM choose to do that.

gyor

Legend

Forgotten Realms is the Star Trek Borg that assimilates all D&D settings.

I'll give you that FR can be like the Borg at times (it absord Kara Tur, parts of Spelljammer, Aasimar, Tieflings, and Genasai from Planescape, several Kingdoms from Bloodstone Pass, Desert of Desolation, the Living Gate from Nentir Vale, Gloomwrought, Dragonborn, Shifters from Eberron ect...), but they are hugely different settings, the distinctions are major, it's just in the details.

Yaarel

He Mage
Unfortunately, Eberron is explicitly "part of the Great Wheel of the multiverse". This will prove to be a mistake because the gods of the multiverse factually exist. Any way, the text explicitly says the planet of Eberron is "sealed off" and "sheltered from gods". In this sense, Eberron came into existence without gods and remains without gods.

Eberron Rising, Page 228
"
PLANES OF EXISTENCE

Eberron is part of the Great Wheel of the multiverse, as described in the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide. At the same time, it is fundamentally apart from the rest of the Great Wheel, sealed off from the other planes even while it's encircled by its own wheeling cosmology. Eberron's unique station in the multiverse is an important aspect of the world: its planes have profound and shifting influences on the Material Plane, and it is sheltered from the influences and machinations of gods and other powers elsewhere on the Great Wheel.

The planet of Eberron is the heart of its own Material Plane.

"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases