D&D 5E EB's Storm King's Thunder - IC

"That's it! A Dwarven scholar named Edinbrow used to tell about Giants. He Always claimed that Giants and Dwarves had similar habits, one of which was the Recording of information on Stone. so called Ostorian Stones by the Giants. Dwarves however are intense hoarders most of the Time and keep everything locked up close. Whilest the Giants scattered theirs so that other Giants couldnt find them. Most likely this Stone holds some information that these Giant really want..."
Searinox scratches his head for a moment
"You think the rock at Nightstone might be a Ostorian Stone?" he says as he turns towards the others... Who... are gone? "Hello?"
He the quickly realizes he has spaced out again and quickly moves to the Outside of the Cave.
As he catches up to Darian he places his hand on his shoulder as he catches his breath.
"Ostorian Stone... Giants use it to record information... might be important information on this one. Perhaps the rock at Nightstone is one aswell."

"Are you saying we should not go after the giants and instead show up at Nightstone empty handed?" Darian asks. "Or perhaps you think the giants are also going to Nightstone?"

EarlyBird

Explorer
c
OOC: Darian reads giant so would have read the letter. And with a 14 WIS he would put the two together. The note said the Ostarian Stone would soon be theirs, so they must be on their way to where it is. Just like the group was to be on their way to Nightstone.

OOC: I think Darian didn't notice there was a note to read. So for him to read it would require Searinox to hand it to him. But assuming that happened at some point.

"Yeah, heh, I guess I answered my own question. We should hurry to Nightstone."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Squire Halruhk nudged Wilhelm and said, "These guys like to accuse folk of bein' cowards whenever they act sensible. They did it t'me, too. Don't listen t'them."

When everyone began to fret about the stone and suggested the Nightstone, he said, "Well what're we waitin' for? Let's go t'town, then!"

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Wilhelm nods to Halruhk with gratefulness in his eyes. The half-orc, too, saw that caution was not cowardice at all.

The warlock decides then and there that he likes the squire. With a smile Wilhelm follows Halruhk outside, where the others are talking about the Ostarian Stone.

Relieved that they will not face the immense giant right away, Wilhelm quickly agrees. "Yes, we should head to Nightstone immediately! We must warn them."

tglassy

Adventurer
“Whatever,” Buddy said, holding his pack open for the bear to get in. The fish was inside, making a good lure. “We didn’t manage to die here, maybe we’ll die there. Come on, Little Bud. Let’s make sure these guys survive long enough to get us a good meal.”

hero4hire

Explorer
Fareon returned from tracking.
"There was a Giant...bigger...20 foot maybe. His trail ends abruptly, like he flew up into the clouds."

EarlyBird

Explorer
Following the High Road you finally reach the crossroad leading to Nightstone just before noon. A wooden sign post has three arrow shaped boards nailed to it. The two marked "Waterdeep" and "Daggerford" follow the High Road but point in opposite directions. The third, marked "Nightstone, 10 miles" beckons you to follow the trail. With luck you will reach the village before dinner.

As you travel you talk of all you know or have heard of the small out of the way settlement. Darian has heard of Nightstone, besides it being named for the large obsidian monilith it is also a retreat for wealthy nobles who wish to hunt in the Ardeep Forest. House Nandar pays good money for scouts and guards offering their services to noble huntsman.

The name Nandar is one heard of in Buddy's circles. He remembers reading a writ from a Lady Velrosa Nandar offering a reward to any group willing to deal with a goblin threat in the area near Nightstone. Not being of interest to the young bounty hunter he had passed on the job.

Squire Halruhk speaks up at the talk of goblins. He and his mentor Sir Avavorn Trueheart had heard of Nightstone's call for aid and were headed there when they became seperated. With luck they will rejoin the knight and then the squire can continue on his own quest for knighthood.

Searinox has only heard a rumor that the Nightstone Inn is owned by a dwarf, whether this is true or not he isn't so sure. But if it is then the food and beer there will be truly amazing.

Fareon and Wilhelm are new to the north and haven't much to add in the way of rumor or story of Nightstone. Their worry is Veradda Stoor may not take the news of the missing treasure well.

After following the trail for ten miles, you hear the ringing of a bell. The sound grows louder as Nightstone comes into view. A river flows around the settlement, forming a moat. The village itself is contained within a wooden palisade, beyond which you see a windmill, a tall steeple, and the high-pitched rooftops of several other buildings. Apart from the ringing of the bell, you detect no other activity in the village. The trail ends before a lowered drawbridge that spans the moat. Beyond the drawbridge, two stone watchtowers flank an open gap in the palisade.

South of the village and surrounded by the river moat is a cone-shaped, flat-topped hill on which stands a stone keep enclosed by a wooden wall. The keep, which overlooks the village, has partially collapsed. A wooden bridge that once connected the keep to the village has also partially collapsed.

[sblock=Side View]
Nightstone_side view.jpg[/sblock]
[sblock=Map]
Nightstone_PC map_1.jpg[/sblock]

As you stand before the lowered drawbridge, Wolf sniffs the trampled grass off to the side of the road. His hackles rise and he growls meancingly at the smell on the air.

OOC: And so begins Chapter 1 of Storm King's Thunder: A Great Upheaval

OOC: 2 quick questions
1: could i have Resummoned my Raven on the way back?
2: does the trip count as a Short Rest? 'Cause I'm all outta spell Slots :p
3: getting excited about this ;)

Remove ads