Echo is damn good, like almost too good for Marvel

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, I liked that too. Maya got to be a kick-ass action hero but that’s not all she got to be.

As for what happened to Fisk, I think all Maya did was take away the trauma associated with his upbringing. She didn’t transform him into a good guy or anything. She just gave him some closure and that freaked him out. He probably has a big emotional hole inside him where his trauma used to be, and that will really unsettle him.

I think she tried to take it away and he couldn't let it go. You can't heal someone who's identity is wrapped around being wounded.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I think she tried to take it away and he couldn't let it go. You can't heal someone who's identity is wrapped around being wounded.
I think we may see a shift though, Kingpin has been violently ruthless, out for himself - perhaps as Mayor he sees an opportunity to legitimately do good for the poor of Hells Kitchen and New York. Kingpin as anti-hero could be interesting

Clint_L

Hero
Well, finished it. It was okay, in the end. The very promising first episode never really paid off, and it felt like Maya's character changed very little, especially given the crimes she is guilty of, which seemed pretty much hand-waved. Felt like 90 minutes of content spread through five episodes. For me, ultimately one of the middling D+ Marvel shows - better than SW and CA+WS, not nearly as good as it's predecessor, Hawkeye.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I liked it overall.

Cons: We were missing more character interaction with her family. The whole skate rink "catch and release" was unnecessary; it literally added nothing. Could have been cut and we could have had some actual character development instead. E.g. the cousin, who was meant to be so important to Maya, we barely see her. So it feels like there was a whole set up for family drama that was never explored. Now knowing that the producers went from 6 eps to 5 explains that. Even with 6 eps I'd have cut the "catch and release" plot.

Pros. Overall an engaging plot with engaging characters. Actors all very good, really sold their characters. Even given the truncated time allowed for character development they sold it. I could honestly buy Maya and Kingpin's relationship and how it developed through the show. As for Maya's personal growth, she went from wanting to kill and take over Kingpin's empire to wanting to heal and reconnect with her family. I call that pretty good growth. And I loved that her super power was connection with her ancestors. The way the show switched in and out of being able to hear was very evocative, really helped get into Maya's head.

For a super hero show - 4 out of 5.

Clint_L

Hero
I agree, the fight scene was fun.
That fight scene annoyed me!

It's such a lazy scene in which the baddies have all the dudes they need, so that a seeming handful of guys just keeps multiplying on demand no matter how many Maya kills. It goes nowhere and means nothing. Zero stakes to it, and the action wasn't particularly good. It pales in comparison to the excellent fight scene from episode 1, IMO.

Remove ads