ECL Questions

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I am sure I have already worked this out somewhere (but for the life of me I can't recall where or the results).

Off the top of my head...

A Planet...1000 ish
A Star/Solar System...2000
A "Space Sector"...4000
A Galaxy...8,000
A Super-cluster...16,000
A Universe...32,000
A Multiverse...64,000
All Multiverses...128,000

These must be the 1E values, right?

historian

First Post
Hey Dude!:)

Howdy historian mate! :)

I am sure I have already worked this out somewhere (but for the life of me I can't recall where or the results).

Off the top of my head...

A Planet...1000 ish
A Star/Solar System...2000
A "Space Sector"...4000
A Galaxy...8,000
A Super-cluster...16,000
A Universe...32,000
A Multiverse...64,000
All Multiverses...128,000

That's very helpful.

As I mentioned earlier the MERP system has official guidelines for converting AD&D levels (aka 1st edition D&D levels) to MERP and vice versa. If anyone has questions regarding the equivalent AD&D levels of specific characters from Middle Earth I'll do my best to answer them.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
As I mentioned earlier the MERP system has official guidelines for converting AD&D levels (aka 1st edition D&D levels) to MERP and vice versa. If anyone has questions regarding the equivalent AD&D levels of specific characters from Middle Earth I'll do my best to answer them.

Well heck yeah! What are the levels for the Fellowship? For Saruman? For the Nazghul? For Sauron (if available)?

historian

First Post
Hey Alzrius,

Well heck yeah! What are the levels for the Fellowship? For Saruman? For the Nazghul? For Sauron (if available)?

All of the following levels and hit dice are reported in 1st Ed. AD&D terms.

The Fellowship of the Ring

Frodo - Level 8 Sout/Rogue
Samwise - Level 6 Scout/Thief
Legolas - Level 19 Fighter
Gimli - Level 5 Fighter
Aragorn - Level 18 Ranger
Boromir - Level 13 Fighter
Merry - Level 5 Fighter
Pippin - Level 5 Fighter
Gandalf the Grey - Level 27 Wizard

The Nazgul

The Witch-king - Level 40 Wizard
Khamul - Level 33 Ranger
Dwar - Level 26 Mage*
Indur - Level 25 Mage*
Akhorahil - Level 24 Sorceror*
Hoarmurath - Level 22 Animist*
Adunaphel - Level 21 Bard*
Ren - Level 21 Illusionist*
Uvatha - Level 21 Fighter*

* Tothe best of my knowledge Tolkien only named the Witch-king and Khamul and I believe the other names are ascribed by the writers at Iron Crown Enterprises

The Forces of Darkness

Melkor/Morgoth - Level 333 Mage/Alchemist
Ungoliant - 300 Hit Dice (333 after draining the Wells of Varda)
Sauron - Level 80 Mage/Sorceror (in hiding w/o The One Ring)
Sauron - Level 120 Mage/Sorceror (as Necromancer of Mirkwood)
Sauron - Level 160 Mage/Sorceror (before the One Ring was made)
Sauron - Level 240 Mage Sorceror (with the One Ring)
The Balrog of Moria - 24 Hit Dice
The Balrog Gothmog - 67 Hit Dice
Saruman the Many Colored - Level 33 Mage/Alchemist

If there are others you are interested I probably have something on them.

Hiya mate! :)

Hammerheadd said:
If there is a infinite number of multiverses wouldn't take an infinite amount of damage?

No. As the game scales upwards the realism between "strata of power" is stretched.

This is also the way comic book universes operate.

Also isn't a high lord basically its own multiverse?

Sentients, as opposed to mere Astral Bodies will have numerous other facets to their being that simply giving a flat hit point total won't suffice. For instance (in 1st Ed. parlance...) a Greater God might have a power such as "+5 weapon to hit".

Belzamus

First Post
Is their a typo in Gimli's level? How is he possibly the same level as Merry and Pippin?

Also, where does Gandalf the White fall? I'm surprised the Witch-King is so much higher than his Grey form considering he was able to take down Durin's Bane. I can't see Angmar being able to best a Balrog, though I'm assuming 40th level is when he's proxied by Sauron?

historian

First Post
Is their a typo in Gimli's level? How is he possibly the same level as Merry and Pippin?

Also, where does Gandalf the White fall? I'm surprised the Witch-King is so much higher than his Grey form considering he was able to take down Durin's Bane. I can't see Angmar being able to best a Balrog, though I'm assuming 40th level is when he's proxied by Sauron?

That's not a misprint. It was cited in Angus McBride's Characters of Middle Earth.

That said there is a more experienced version of Gimli later identified as Level 12 (AD&D levels).

historian

First Post

Gandalf the White is Level 33 but much, much tougher than Gandalf the Grey.

That said, I feel it's pretty clear that the Witch-king was at least the equal of Gandalf the White if not more powerful by a significant margin.

Remove ads