• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eight Legged Freaks: Return of the Samhain Spider.

Krishnath

First Post
Thought I'd update my samhain spider to 3.5, tell me what you think.

----------

Samhain Spider
Large Magical Beast (Spirit)
Hit Dice:
12d10+48 (114 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 60’ (12 squares), burrow 20’
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +12 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+22
Attack: Bite +17 melee (2d6+9 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +17 melee (2d6+9 plus poison) and 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10’/5’
Special Attacks: Fear aura, Poison, Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, Darkvision 60’, Immunity to fear, Low-light vision, Resistant to acid 15 and sonic 15, Scent, Spell Resistance 22, Spider climb,
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +11, Will +9,
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 17, Con 19, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 16,
Skills: Bluff +11, Hide +14, Knowledge (Psychology) +18, Listen +16, Move Silently +18, Spot +20
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Iron Will (b), Mobility,
Environment: Any land and underground.
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil.
Advancement: 13-18 HD (Large), 19-36 HD (Huge)

“You feel the creatures presence before you see it, a feeling of unnatural dread falls upon you as the creature approaches from the shadows ahead, eight long thin green and brown legs join the creatures thorax which is of the same coloration, eight black eyes stare with malevolent intellect at you from the monsters head, it’s most striking feature however is its large bulbous hindquarters that are a vivid orange. The horse-sized spider hisses at you.”

The samhain spider, also known as the pumpkin spider due to its coloration, is one of the more deadly spiders on the prime material planes.
The coloration of the samhain spider is quite simple, the creatures head, thorax and legs are all dark green or dark brown, whereas the spiders hindquarters are a vivid almost glowing orange. The creature’s eyes are black.
Although a samhain spider is highly intelligent and understands several languages, it rarely speaks.

Combat:
Samhain Spiders are aggressive and intelligent predators that like to play with their food, often trapping victims in elaborate underground mazes the creature has methodically dug out, in which they subject their prey to one horror after another, for as the spider reasons, scared meat tastes better.
Fear Aura (Sp): All creatures within 30’ of the samhain spider must make a will save (DC: 19) or be stricken with fear. Affected creatures attempt to flee in any direction that takes them away from the spider, not stopping for 4d4 rounds, if the affected creature is unable to flee it cowers. Creatures making their save are immune for that samhain spiders fear aura for one day. The save DC is Cha based
Spell-like Abilities: At will – Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire and Ghost Sound, 3/day – Blur, Emotion (Despair only), Fear, Mirror Image, Produce Flame, Stinking Cloud, and Ventriloquism; 1/day – Acid Fog and Nightmare. Caster level 12th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Poison (Ex): DC 20, primary, paralysis, secondary 1d4 Wis, those killed by the poison rise in 1d4 days as allips, unless the body is destroyed, or someone casts remove curse on the body. The save DC is Con based.
Spider climb (Ex): As the spell, always active.
Skills: Samhain Spiders get a +4 racial bonus on spot checks.

© 2002-2004 Kristian L. Jensen

----------

Comments and Critizism is welcomed and wanted, flames will be dutifully ignored. Tell me what you think.

Last edited:

robjh

First Post
I think just a +6 damage bonus on the bite, since it has multiple attacks.

Do magical beasts get all good saves like outsiders?

For spell-like abilities, you just need to say: Caster level 12th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

How would somebody be killed by the Poison?

Otherwise it looks good and nasty... :)

Krishnath

First Post
Bite: Some creatures have str*1,5 on their primary attack, check your monster manual.

Saves: No, and this one doesn't either: HD/3=+4 add wis mod (+3) and Iron Will (+2) and you get +9, thus +9 will save. Magical beasts however get good fort and ref saves.

Spell-like abilities: I knew there where an easier way to write it, changing it shortly.

Poison: From the DMG on ability score loss: Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, comalike stupor, helpless.
Thus it would be logical that the poisoned creature would eventually starve to death while the poison is in its body, therefore the allip comment.

Thank you for your comments, :D

robjh

First Post
Krishnath said:
Bite: Some creatures have str*1,5 on their primary attack, check your monster manual.

Saves: No, and this one doesn't either: HD/3=+4 add wis mod (+3) and Iron Will (+2) and you get +9, thus +9 will save. Magical beasts however get good fort and ref saves.

Spell-like abilities: I knew there where an easier way to write it, changing it shortly.

Poison: From the DMG on ability score loss: Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, comalike stupor, helpless.
Thus it would be logical that the poisoned creature would eventually starve to death while the poison is in its body, therefore the allip comment.

Okay I missed the Iron Will feat. Sorry.

The only natural attack Strength booster I know of is: "1-1/2 the Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature's sole natural weapon." This creature has more than one natural weapon. What would you do if you if it had a sole natural attack? Multiply by x1.5*1.5? Anyway it's not important if that's the way you want it.

No problem with the poison/death thing, it just seemed to imply the poison was immediately fatal. So a point of ambiguity that might confuse a DM. No matter.

Ferret

Explorer
Are these from the movie? Or original?

Very nice otherwise, shouldn't that be "or cowers" not covers? In the fear aura description.

Krishnath

First Post
robjh said:
Okay I missed the Iron Will feat. Sorry.

The only natural attack Strength booster I know of is: "1-1/2 the Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature's sole natural weapon." This creature has more than one natural weapon. What would you do if you if it had a sole natural attack? Multiply by x1.5*1.5? Anyway it's not important if that's the way you want it.

No problem with the poison/death thing, it just seemed to imply the poison was immediately fatal. So a point of ambiguity that might confuse a DM. No matter.
Actually there are several creatures that have Str*1,5 on their primary attack, dragons for example. :p

Ferret: They are original, and D'oh! See what happens when english is not your native language. :D

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Ferret said:
At least you can blame being foreign to spelling mistakes. I'm english!
That's O.K, I haven't met an englishman yet that can spell properly, but then again, the majority those few brits I have actually met are either of Celtic decent or from Cokney. :p

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads