Eldritch Blast + Fox's Cunning?

Kordeth

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
I wouldn't rule this. Eldritch Blast is considered an Implement attack, not a Weapon attack.

But it's replacing a ranged basic attack, which is a Weapon attack. It all comes down to where you decide EB overlaps with RBA. Personally, I choose to err on the side of "spellcasters never have to pull out a crossbow" and say that, as part of replacing a ranged basic attack, you can use Eldritch Blast as part of a power that alls for a ranged basic attack even if the power in question has the Weapon keyword.

invokethehojo

First Post
How about this:

I made a Ranger multiclass Rogue who is level 2. I took the two weapon build.

My tactic is to use "unbalancing parry" to gain combat advantage then attack using "evasive strike" and add my sneak attack damage and Hunter's Quarry damage for a single, face-melting blow...

Unbalancing parry:
Encounter ✦ Martial,Weapon
Immediate Reaction Melee 1
Trigger: An enemy misses you with a melee attack
Effect: Slide the enemy into a square adjacent to you and
gain combat advantage against it until the end of your
next turn.

Evasive Strike:
Encounter ✦ Martial,Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Special: You can shift 4 squares either before or after the attack.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage

Sneak of Shadows:
Prerequisite: Dex 13
Benefit: You gain training in the Thievery skill.
Once per encounter, you can use the rogue’s Sneak
Attack class feature.

Since the CA lasts till the end of your next turn and you can choose to add sneak attack damage after the damage roll, you have a second chance to use it if the first attack fails... that is if your like me and don't want to worry about sneaking around to get CA

Kordeth

First Post
invokethehojo said:
Since the CA lasts till the end of your next turn and you can choose to add sneak attack damage after the damage roll, you have a second chance to use it if the first attack fails... that is if your like me and don't want to worry about sneaking around to get CA

I think you're misunderstanding how long the CA lasts--or rather, you're overlooking the fact that Unbalancing Parry doesn't trigger on your turn. You only get one turn's worth of CA against the enemy, because "your next turn" after Unbalancing Parry is the next time your action comes up. You'd need a power that lets you attack twice in one standard action to get a second chance to use it.

Also, what's this got to do with Fox's Cunning and Eldritch Blast?

invokethehojo

First Post
You'r right, but you could use an action point to get an attack right after unbalancing parry... or you can't cuz it's not technically your turn. oh well, just have to wait till next round to face-melt the dude

And what does it have to do with it? I don't know, just a similar power type combination... his example made me think of mine.

Last edited:

WOLead

First Post
Well with Unbalancing Parry, there is a way to take a bit of an advantage with it. Provoke an Opportunity Attack on your turn before you attack and hope it misses. Then you have Combat Advantage for your attack, and the next turn's attack.

Its got nothing to do with Fox's Cunning and Eldritch Blast though. Except maybe as an alternative to Fox's Cunning?

ZetaStriker

First Post
I've already houseruled that Eldritch Blast can be used in place of a ranged weapon for Ranger powers... but the Eldritch Blast will key off of Dex, as per the powers in question, when used as such. I mean, unless you're a halfling and stuck with a shortbow, Eldritch Blast is basically a longbow with a shorter range. Seems fair enough to me.

Remove ads