Eldritch Blast + Fox's Cunning?

calypso15

Explorer
So, say a warlock took Multiclass Ranger, and power swapped something for Fox's Cunning.

Can that warlock use Fox's Cunning to, as an immediate reaction to being attacked by a melee combatant, shift 1 square and then make an attack with Eldritch Blast?

Points to consider:

1) Eldritch Blast is considered a basic attack:

"All warlocks know the eldritch blast at-will power. This power can be used as a basic attack. You gain this power as well as another at-will power as determined by your Eldritch Pact."

2) Fox's Cunning allows you to make a basic attack:

"Attack: You can shift 1 square, then make a basic attack against the enemy."

3) Fox's Cunning has a range of "Melee or Ranged weapon":

"Melee weapon: A melee attack power that has a range of “weapon” allows you to attack a target within the reach of the weapon you’re wielding. Some weapons extend your reach beyond adjacent squares.

Ranged weapon: A ranged attack power that has a range of “weapon” allows you to attack a target within your weapon’s range (see the table on page 219). If the target is farther away than normal range but within
long range, you take a –2 penalty to attack rolls."

So... thoughts?

calypso15

Explorer
Kordeth said:
Yes. He has to be at least 4th level to pick up the Novice Power feat, but there's no reason he can't do this.

So you're concluding that "eldritch blast" counts as a weapon with a range of 10, then?

WOLead

First Post
No, Eldritch Blast is a basic attack. Specifically a ranged basic attack.

The weapon thats needed for using Fox's Cunning would be a dagger, fist, kick, or other improvised weapon. Instead of using the weapon for the basic attack, you use Eldritch Blast instead.

Stalker0

Legend
Fox's Cunning is one of the few powers this will work, because it specifically says a basic attack. Normally you wouldn't use eldritch blast with most ranger powers...but you can with this one.

Duelpersonality

First Post
calypso15 said:
So you're concluding that "eldritch blast" counts as a weapon with a range of 10, then?
Essentially, the specific instance of Eldritch Blast counting as a ranged basic attack supercedes the "Weapon" part of making basic attacks while using it. This should (though I'm not certain if it actually does by the rules) remove the Weapon keyword from Fox's Cunning for that use. Otherwise you could make a strong argument to get a proficiency bonus for using a pact blade (Note: I do not think that the prof bonus should be applied in this case, and would rule against such an argument in my games).

Jeph

Explorer
Isn't the point that the "melee or ranged weapon" range negates the option of using a non-weapon basic attack like Magic Missile or Eldritch Blast?

Or is it just that they had no good way of saying "the range of your basic attack" without using the "melee or ranged weapon" wording?

Kordeth

First Post
Jeph said:
Isn't the point that the "melee or ranged weapon" range negates the option of using a non-weapon basic attack like Magic Missile or Eldritch Blast?

Or is it just that they had no good way of saying "the range of your basic attack" without using the "melee or ranged weapon" wording?

EDIT: Changing my mind again--The ranged basic attack "power" on p. 287 also has the Weapon keyword, with the Special caveat that Eldritch Blast and Magic Missile can be used as basic attacks. IMHO, that means EB and MM will work in this scenario.

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
I wouldn't rule this. Eldritch Blast is considered an Implement attack, not a Weapon attack.

Just because it can be used as a Ranged Basic Attack doesn't mean that it is a Weapon. I read this as the Eldritch Blast can emulate a Ranged Basic Attack, not that it IS a Ranged Basic Attack.

Remove ads