Eleanore's Request (Fantasy MnM 3E, Recruiting)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
As for the impressive power, you could use Enhanced traits with the Affects others Advantage, such as Attractive (Affects Others+1) for 2 points, to show that the armour is so impressive it makes everybody around you look good, or make your skill mastery an Enhanced advantage so you can add affects others to it - people around you look so impressive they can just take their time making their points.
Good ideas (I especially like the Affect Another skill mastery). The problem with Affect Others though is that it requires a Touch to work. We'd therefore *need* to add the Perception Ranged then... All in all, I think Teamwork + Skill mastery, with SuperZero's approval on the "help to Stealth" mechanics, pretty accuratly models the basic idea/mechanics I had in mind for this power. As I said above, I'm very happy. :)

The subtle on Teamwork would indicate that though you ARE making a check (Or just using your skill mastery), people wouldn't necessarily NOTICE that you're helping (As normally they would because you'd be talking) - you're just standing there looking awesome.
Makes sense (and with the Removable already there, it's basically free too :D). Added. I also added the Keywords for each power while I was there (mostly Faerie Magic here and there), and added another distinguishing trait on his body: "Burn mark on plexus where the King entered".

How's this for the armour:
Impressive Armour: Growth 2, Reduced Speed 1; Removable

You would also want to reduce your BASE strength and stamina by 2 each, gaining you 8 points and spend 2 of those points to increase your dodge/parry to account for the Growth penalty.
So let's see:
Sell 2 each from Str and Sta = 8 PP
Impressive Armour (Growth 2 (2PP/rank), Increased Duration (Continuous), Permanent, Removable Flat) = -3PP (can't use the Reduced Speed Flat here as I already used it on the Protection and once is enough :))
Buy back Parry/Dodge = -2PP

Net Cost = Gives back 3PP
Net Benefits= +1 Intimidate
Net drawbacks= -2 Stealth, +2 mass (400 kg), weaker when out of armor...

Hm, could use those 3PP to boost his skills (search and and Streetsmarts mostly)... On the other hand, there's *always* a scene where the heroes are caught with their pants down, so to speak... Guess I'll think about it some more.

By the by, what do you guys think I should do with the extra 3 points I have floating around for Dungeon Smasher? I've been thinking about either Penetrating ("He might not have gotten through, but he's sure dented the heck out of it!" ;)) or some sort of linked Unrealiable area Concealement (from dust and flying debris from when he smashed through the door). I also considered a linked area damage for the debris, but that's not really his thing and it felt too clunky.

Speaking of area, no area effects in your common powers, Jemal? Or are you expecting DarwinofMind's character to cover the Controller side of things? (I *could* see it: pollen, smoke and gas, mostly with Cloud area and some uproarious cackling ;)).

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Good to know. :)

In the meanwhile, ladies and gentlemen, I give you...

[Sblock=Baclava]
attachment.php
[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
So I've come up with some more powers, one of them is going to need some GM input:

Impervious Bubble: Immunity X (Physical Effects. Sustained, Area: Cloud, Limit: Immobile-1, Two-way (blocks physical crossing from both sides, so caster cannot send stuff out) -1

So for this, I'm essentially thinking your standard 'sphere of force'. It creates a 15 foot radius bubble around him that lasts 1 round after he stops concentrating. It stops anything that would have to physically pass through it from either side(Physical attacks, Gas, liquids, etc) but not Energy, and the area cannot move.
I'm thinking that it would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of a rank 40 immunity, so with the extra and flaws I put on it, that would come out to a cost of 20 points.
I'd also be fine with dropping the 'lasts 1 extra round' portion of cloud. The reason I took cloud over burst is because i didn't want it to be 30' like burst is, and I didn't see anywhere that said you could choose to make it smaller than maximum area. If you would allow that I'll happily switch cloud to burst, so you won't have to worry about me trying to exploit the 'extra round' it gives. I'd much prefer the 30' *or Less* area. (And keep in mind it's not selective)

Jemal

Adventurer
OK So I also think I figured out a way to work in the 'dragon shape' thing. I made the 'variable force array' at a lower rank, and then made my dragon form under a 'Silverscale' Powerset, with an alternate effect (Which is actually the primary effect that he uses most of the time since he's in human form) that ENHANCES his force magic. Basically while he's in human form, his condensed draconic power/magic/essence can be applied to his force magic, which is less potent when he's in dragon form. I put a lot of penalties on the dragon form: Activation time (Time taken to change shape), Noticeable (Above the visual change - When he changes, his draconic essence is revealed to anybody with magical or draconic awareness), Tiring (Changing form takes a lot out of him), and finally a variation of Uncontrolled: The GM and I both have to agree that it's a good reason for him to change shape.
I also have complications that come into play if and when he takes on his dragon form.

However this means that it IS an official part of the character, and becomes an option for character or plot advancement. How's that sound to people/GM?

PS: BF, that actually looks a lot like the NPC Guardian I'm using over in my Jemals Anniversary thread - except my Guardian has dark hair and a bigger sword... and maybe a couple fewer spikes. :p

*EDIT:
OK, so here's my force dragon 2.0
I changed my mind and used a Metamorph with all the penalties to create two forms: Human and Dragon instead of an alternate form powerset. In human form his 'silverscale power' is transformed into a pair of magical items, and funneled into his magic.
The 'ring of protection' is the essence of his scales, the shades are the essence of his impressiveness, and the enhanced force magic is the essence of his might and spirit.

Complications/background in next draft

[sblock=Silverscale Force Mage]
Human Form- PL6 (90PP)

Abilities: (12 pp)
STR 0 (0 pp)
STA 1 (2 pp)
DEX 0 (0 pp)
AGI 0 (0 pp)
FGT 0 (0 pp)
INT 2 (4 pp)
AWE 2 (4 pp)
PRE 2 (2 pp+1 shades)

Offenses:
Initiative: +0
Melee Attack: +0
Ranged Attack: +0
Common Attacks: *Standardly adds +4 Allout attack to all*
Magic Missile: Perception, Toughness DC 21(can split twice);
Force Bolt: +4 atk(Homing), Toughness DC 23(Crit18-20); 200' range
Grasping Force Prison: Perception, Dodge DC 21: Failure = One degree: Hindered&Impaired; Two Degrees: Disabled&Immobile, Escape: Strength check dc 21

Defenses: (7pp)
Dodge: 4*Usually 0 due to all-out attack* (2 base +2 enhanced)
Parry: 4*Usually 0 due to all-out attack* (2 base +2 enhanced)
Toughness: 8 (1 sta +2 enhanced +5 Mage Armour)
Fort: +4 (1 base +1 sta +2 enhanced)
Will: +6 (2 base +2 awe +2 enhanced)

Skills: (14 ranks= 7pp)
*Unassigned*
Expertise: Magic, Dragons

Advantages: (8 pp)
Attractive, Luck 2, Ranged attack 2, Accurate Attack, All Out Attack, Power Attack

Powers: 54pp
Dragon: metaMorph (Activation: move, Noticeable *Magical/Draconic Awareness*, Quirk: Noticeable at longer range, Tiring 1, Uncontrolled 1): 1pp

Force Magic Array (Variable rank 6): 42pp
Common powers: (30pp pool with Enhanced)
Mage Armour: Sustained Protection 5: 5pp
Flight rank 2, Subtle: 5pp
Force Bolt: Damage rank 8 (Ranged+1, Accurate, Homing, Improved Crit 2): 20pp
Magic Missile: Damage rank 6 (Perception ranged+2, Split 2): 20pp
Wall of Force: Create Rank 10 (Continuous+1, Impervious+1, Limited: Flat vertical wall-2, Subtle 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Innate): 25pp
Telekinesis: Move Object rank 9 (Perception+1, Subtle, Precise): 30pp *This is max power. Usually downgraded for simultaneous usage with other powers.*
Grasping Force Prison: Affliction rank 6 (Perception Range+2, Extra Condition+1, Cumulative+1, Concentration+1, Limited Degree-1): 30pp *A Grasping Force attempts to hold the person in place. Initial resistance: Dodge, to escape: Strength. Failure - One degree: Hindered&Impaired; Two Degrees: Disabled&Immobile*
Impervious Bubble: Immunity X (Physical Effects. Sustained, Area: Cloud+1, Limit: Immobile-1, Two-way (blocks physical crossing from both sides, so caster cannot send stuff out) -1:
*The Impervious Bubble creates a 15 foot bubble around caster that lasts 1 round after he stops concentrating. It stops anything that would have to physically pass through it from either side(Physical attacks, Gas, liquids, etc but not energy), and the area cannot move.*
Create Object: Varies

*items*
Ring of Protection +2: 8 pp
Enhanced Dodge +2(2), Enhanced Parry +2(2), Enhanced Fort +2(2), Enhanced Will +2(2), Enhanced Protection +2(2) = 10 pts -2 removable=8pp

Silver Shades of Persuassion: 3 pp
Enhanced Presence +1(2), Enhanced Advantage: Attractive(1), Immunity: Visual Afflictions(2)=5pts -2 Easily Removable=3pp

COST: 12 Abilities + 7 Skills + 8 Advantages + 7 Defenses + 54 Powers = 88/90

Complications:
Motivations:

Background:

*** Dragon Form: - PL6 (90PP)

Abilities: (12 pp)
STR 4 (0 pp+4 growth)
STA 4 (0 pp+4 growth)
DEX 0 (0 pp)
AGI 0 (0 pp)
FGT 0 (0 pp)
INT 2 (4 pp)
AWE 2 (4 pp)
PRE 2 (4 pp)

Offenses:
Initiative: +0
Melee Attack: +0
Ranged Attack: +0
Common Attacks:
Natural attack +6(Multiattack), Toughness DC 21(threat 19-20)

Defenses: (11pp)
Dodge: 2 (4 base -2 growth)
Parry: 2 (4 base -2 growth)
Toughness: 10 (4 sta +6 Protection)
Fort: +5 (1 base +4 sta)
Will: +6 (2 base +2 awe)

Skills: (14 ranks= 7pp)
*Unassigned*
Expertise: Magic, Dragons

Advantages: (7 pp)
Luck 2, Accurate Attack, Power Attack, Benefit(Silverscale), Connected, Takedown

Powers: 53pp
Human Form: metaMorph (Activation: move, Noticeable *Magical/Draconic Awareness*, Quirk: Noticeable at longer range, Tiring 1, Uncontrolled 1): 1pp

Growth 4(Permanent): 8pp
Flight Rank 3(Wings, Permanent): 5pp
Natural Attack: Damage 2 (strength based, Multiattack+1, Accurate 3, Improved Crit 1): 12pp
Protection 6: 6pp

Force Magic Array (Variable rank 3): 21pp
*As human but lower power, 15pp pool*

COST: 12 Abilities + 7 Skills + 7 Advantages + 11 Defenses + 53 Powers = 90/90
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Just to show where I am at right now, so sorry that it's taking me so long.

I kinda need some help saving some points to buy skills with.

Advice?

Whispers of the Unseen, models the spirits speaking to her, and the magic is weather control, and healing plus luck control for blesses and curses.

[sblock="Quevadyn"]
Quevadyn

Abilities
-----------------
STR: 1; STA: 2; AGL: 2; DEX: 0;
FGT: 2; INT: 2; AWE: 3; PRE: 3;
(Abilities 30)

Defenses
-----------------
Dodge 4 (2 base + 2)
Fortitude 4 (2 base + 2)
Parry 4 (2 base + 2)
Toughness 2 (2 base)
Will 5 (3 base + 2)
(Defenses 8)

Skills
-----------------
Expertise (Magic) 2 Int + 4 = 6
(Skills 2)

Powers
----------
Whispers of the Unseen:
Senses (Mental) 17 ranks (18)
Accurate, Awareness (spirit), Counters Concealment (all), Counters Illusion, Danger Sense, Extended, Penetrates Concealment (Extra: Alternate Effect)
AP: Senses (Mental) 8 (8)
Postcognition, Precognition (Flaw: Uncontrolled (-8))
Spellcasting:
Magic 6 ranks (24)
DAP Environment (cold) 6 (12)
DAP Environment (heat) 6 (12)
DAP Environment (impede) 6 (12)
DAP Environment (light) 6 (12)
DAP Environment (visibility) 6 (12)
AP: Luck Control 4 (12)
AP: Healing 5, Persistent, Stabilize (12)
(Powers 42)

Advantages
---------------
Animal Empathy
Favored Enviroment (Woodlands)
Luck 3
Ritualist
Tracking
Trance

(Advantages)

Totals: 90/90
Attributes: 30
Defenses: 8
Skills: 2
Advantages: 8
Powers: 42

Complications
--------------
Responsibility: Quevdyn has true faith and trust in the spirits and has the responsibility to act in compliance to what they say.
Prejudice: Quevdyn doesn't act like normal people and lacks understanding of many things in civilized culture, thus is viewed with distrust
Acceptance: (begins only after some time with the party) Quevdyn would never admit it, even to herself, but she really wants to be accepted into the party and be friends.
Power Loss: Quevdyn's magic is dependent on not angering the spirits.
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Darwin, cool character! Since you asked for suggestions about how to free up some points for skills, I have a few:

1) You've spent a LOT of points on Whispers of the Unseen...more than you probably need to. Here's the power for reference:

Accurate, Awareness (spirit), Counters Concealment (all), Counters Illusion, Danger Sense, Extended, Penetrates Concealment (Extra: Alternate Effect)

You can tone this power down in any number of ways, perhaps intending to later use experience to buy it back. Think of the character as being not quite this experienced. First, consider dropping Penetrates Concealment. Being able to sense spirits through walls is useful, but probably not essential. Accurate isn't that big a deal either for a mental sense. I see where you're going with Counter Concealment, since spirits will often be invisible, or hiding in dark places...but Counter Illusion is probably overkill, at least at first. Especially because not too many critters will have Illusions that even work against Mental senses.

Some of these senses, like counters concealment and counters illusion might actually be better as upgrades to Vision (sparing you the cost of making Whispers an accurate power). Maybe split it into

Spirit Sight (Vision counters concealment and illusions)
Whispers of the Unseen (Mental Awareness: Spirits, Radius, Extended, acute), 4pp

That would very likely save you some points, especially if you buy 'basic' spirit sight at first, that only counters darkness and invisibility, then upgrade it from there as we go.

2) Your stats could be 'optimized' a bit, to free up some points. Depending on your concept, of course. Not sure that having Strength 1 and Fighting 2 and no other melee boosters is a good use of points. If you want Parry of 4, it's cheaper (by 2 points) to just buy a Parry of 4. You don't have any attack powers either, so this could be an issue. Perhaps sell back some attributes, and add a Summon (combat spirit) to your array? Or a series of physical enhancements that represent a spirit partially posessing you and giving you strength?

3) You should probably turn in a rank of Luck for some Equipment, for some armor at least. I realize that's not saving you points for skills, but it could save your life. :)

4) Your array gives you a wealth of options, but I suspect you will find that most of them are not useful options. You can blend heat, cold, various forms of impediment, very flexibly...but ultimately you'll probably find yourself using a very small number of 'sweet spots' almost exclusively as you learn what works and what doesn't. Also, rank 6 on Environment powers is -enormous-. I realize that kind of works for weather powers, but this is another case where you may want to start smaller, more focused, more effective, then expand out into the big cinematic hoodoo later on when you have points to spare.

Consider a weather array that is based more on Afflictions, each being nondynamic (costing much less). An area Affliction that slows/immobilizes/makes helpless, with the Variable Descriptor feat (just 1 point) could be anything from a tornado holding them helpless in its wind, to a blizzard freezing them, to a sudden burst of rocks jumping out of the earth and holding them. Afflictions are stupendously efficient in arrays, especially with that variable descriptor trait, because just a handful of powers can cover a vast number of effects.

Healing is good, but you may want to focus on power over Persistant at first. Incurable is not a common attack effect, and being able to deal with it could plausibly be considered a 'higher level' form of spirit or magic.

Another benefit of optimizing the array is that it will free up points to invest in attack/defense powers, which you currently sorely lack. Even if you don't intend to be personally fighting much, a summon can do wonders. A single summon, which acts instead of you in a fight, could probably be taken with the Heroic extra, making it quite durable.

SuperZero

First Post
She actually does have an attack power. The "Magic" sample power uses Blast as a base. I overlooked that at first, too, and was going to say that her array was 1 point too much and she lacked an attack.

Further comments forthcoming when I get a chance, but I just thought I'd point that one out.

Shayuri

First Post
Ah! Good eye! Thanks for that. Still, it's a ranged attack on a character with no Dexterity bonus and no feat or skill bonus.

So it's nearly as bad as no attack. :)

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Thank you for your input, figure I'll throw out my reasonings as it might help in further comments.

2) Yeah my stats are higher than need be, they were that way when I was building her with some melee to represent the wilderness living. I'll adjust those.

3) yes, good place for a point for equipment... but that's not getting me skills :p

4) I could make the Enviromental powers smaller but since they are APs it wouldn't save me any points to do so.
I'll look at the Affliction thing,
As for Persistant on healing, I wanted Stabilize and so I only had 1 pont left, Persistant was the only extra that cost 1 flat. If I didn't use it I lost it so oh well.

Now for the big one,
1)
I see what you're saying about not needing all those ranks especially at first, but the big thing is I'm seeing this very differently than you seem to be so let me descibe what I'm trying for here as I'm afraid I might not be even getting what I think I'm getting.

I'm not really using senses with counter concealment to say I can see concealed spirit, I'm describing that there are invisible spirits everywhere talking to Quevadyn and so say you are standing behind a wall, she's not really seeing thru walls but there is a spirit telling her you are standing there. The point is not to see spirits, but to see everything using spirits. Is that possible? Would that be visual instead of mental, it's mental from the spirits to her, and I don't imagine spirits really use eyes.

And skill bonus is what I'm trying to get here for ranged attack for instance :p

Remove ads