Eleanore's Request (Fantasy MnM 3E, Recruiting)

Jemal

Adventurer
New WIP of my wall/dome of force:
Wall of Force: Create Rank 10 (Continuous+1, Impervious+1, Limited: Wall/Sphere-1, Subtle 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Innate): 25pp *Can be shaped as either a wall or a sphere(Hemisphere on ground). @1 inch thick with 1000 cubic feet can create a dome with a 44 foot radius.now the book says each doubling of thickness gives +1 toughness to objects so if I make it 4 inches thick it'll be an 11 foot radius invisible sphere with impervious toughness 12. At pl 6 that seems about as 'indestructible' as I should hope for - immune to damage effects at or below our PL.
As a wall of similar thickness it woold be 3000 square feet, say 20 feet tall by 150 long...
For example.

*edit*
Just realized my math on the dome size is wrong but I'm arriving
At work now so will have to fix it later.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Had a look at it as well, hope you don't mind, Jemal?

Create Rank 10 (2 PP/rank base, Continuous+1, Impervious+1, Limited: Wall/Sphere-1) = 30 PP
Plus (Subtle 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Innate) = 35 PP, outside your Variable's power cap.

Sadly, I don't think Created objects are affected by the rules for estimating Toughness for "RL" objetcs. i.e. as written on P.102, they always have a maximum Toughness of [your rank in the Create power]. Which makes a lot of sense from a balance point of view (10-foot-thick moveable forcefields anyone? :)), and combines well with the paragraph below.

At Rank 10 I make it a dome of 4/3 * pi * r^3 / 2=1000 cft, so, let's see, radius= 8 feet. (We've always played it that you have to consider the entire volume of the thing in your calculations; just like if you were Creating a cabinet or a chest (say with the Precise Extra), you would go with the volume of the whole thing, not the actual volume of the "walls" of the cabinet. This, I suspect is mostly a helpful simplification to allow the creation of objects without the need to draw up bluprints every time (and heated discussion on "Exacctly how thin does a plane of created wood/force have to be to make a dome/chest out of it? Paper-thin?" and the like), but it's also a balance issue, I would think. It does lead to the somewhat counter-intuitive fact that being able to Create a filled sphere 8' in radius costs the same, point-wise, as Creating of hollow sphere of any wall thickness 8' in radius. But then, in both the case of the dome and the chest, you're getting a *lot* of use out of that hollow space compared to a relatively useless filled object, so it balances out I think. If you want to simulate "Thicker is Tougher", I suggest taking the Proportional flaw instead?) You need Create rank 8 to create a 5' radius dome. Create rank 11 to create a 10' radius dome. Create rank 13 to create a 15' radius sphere and Create rank 14 to create a 20' radius dome. Etc.

Idea: What's the SFX on you flight? Might it be "Walks on created force-plane floors/stairs"? You could add the Affects Others to it then (Perhaps limited by the fact that the others have to walk on the same planes as you? Modeled as an area Extra? i.e. You're either close-by, walking on the same plane as him, or you're falling. Add an Uncontrolled Quirk to it (i.e. you can't decide not to support people in the area of effect without cutting out the entire Flight power (though you could Var a Nullify power next round and "open up a hole in the floor" below any enemies foolish enough to try to climb on :devil:) or make it a Shapeable area right from the get-go for pretty much the same effect.

Edit= Built it for another character I'm working on. :) Feel free to borrow/customize as needed: Flight 1, Platform -1, Affects Others +1, Shapeable Area +7 (+1 Affects user as well, +5 area (16 contiguous 5X5 squares (equivalent 10' radius or up to 80' away in a straight line))), Uses target's land spd Quirk -1 Flat, Subtle 1 Flat (same noise as walking). 10 PP. Standard action to get it started, then Free to re-shape/maintain the area each round (i.e. Sustained, like the base Flight power).

Edit 2= Ack! Might want to invest in a few ranks of Immobile or Moveable Extras on the Force Dome as well, Jemal. Else I just realized anybody can just lift it and sneak under, push it about or something!

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
BF: I dont mind at all but I do disagree with you about create objects, will explain later in post.

First though, I actually forgot to recalculate from my previous -2 limitation, which is why I had the lower cost, thank you for spotting that. Guess I'll have to either drop continuous or convince superzero that 'limited: Wall or sphere' is worth more than just 1.

Secondly, re: flight - His basic flight is just the standard 'lift myself with telekinetic force' variety. May use an affects others variation or try that platform idea if its needed in game, however: benefits of Variable. :)

Now onto the meat:

Toughness.
I can see where you're coming from at a balance perspective, I just want to give my views:
Create does not state that they have a MAXIMUM toughness equal to your rank, it says they have a TOUGHNESS equal to your rank (The word maximum is only used in relation to the volume). Normal objects have a specific toughness also, it just states under 'damaging objects' that object toughness is based on an inch of thickness and that each doubling of that increases said toughness by one.
Logically the same should follow with created objects, and nowhere is it stated that this is not the case, so the only issue is the balance one.
So for example, that 10 foot thick shield you mentioned: It has 7 higher toughness than the normal would at 1 inch, and has 120 times less area on the sides. so at rank 10 you could have a field like that 10 feet high and wide.. thats not a wall, its a bigass rock. A single move action gets around that.
More realistically lets go with 16 inches thick.. 1 and 1/3 foot, 4 doublings.
At Create 10, that would give me a 'wall' of toughness 14.. but it's still only 10 feet by 75 feet. Its the thickest wall you can get that will block someone without a movement power, and it still won't stop anybody WITH any form of special movement like jumping, flying, levitation, Teleportation, speed, etc. And yes toughness 14 DOES seem powerful.. because this is a PL 6 campaign and that's a massively high-powered effect compared to the PL. EVEN SO, the wall is defenseless and as such anybody trying to break it need only make an attack check against active defense 10 to get a crit. Add to that that it only needs to fail a save by 6 to be broken, and lets do that math:
Scenario: Player A takes an action to stop Player B with a wall. Player B is a standard PL 6 character(+6 atk, 6 rank damage effect), so needs a 4 to hit for the crit then the wall needs to roll a 7 to not be broken through, and on a 1 is utterly destroyed.
Player B has a 25.5% chance of penetrating the wall and 4% chance of destroying it completely.
If you take away the thickness, the same wall needs to roll an 11 to not be broken and a 6 to not be destroyed, player B now has a 42.5% chance of breaking it and a 21% chance of destroying it completely.
And that's against a create rank almost twice the PL of the campaign. Powerful but not broken.

volume.
I sincerely hope that's not how it gets ruled, because that'll make most of what I had planned impossible.
At rank 10 i would be able to create a structure of maximum 10X10X10? So not even a tiny hut.
It also means that it would take the exact same amount of effort and power to create a featureless cube as to create a fully furnished room of the same size as said cube. That seems too counter intuitive.
I can see an argument for simplicity if the user of the power wants to take the easy way, or if you're in a RL, face to face situation and the maths taking away from game time, but I see no reason to limit someone willing to take the time without interrupting the game. I'm fine with a bit of simplification/rounding (I have no intention of detailed blueprints...) but the 'total volume' concept just kills create for me.

As to the proportional "thicker is tougher" idea : that's actually the opposite of what proportional does. Proportional makes it so the more volume you use, the LESS toughness you get.

and finally as to moving it: from my reading of the extras/limits on create (movable, tether, stationary) it seems to at base function like a real object with regards to being moved- albeit without listing any mass. (one would assume mass corresponding to equivalent volume rank). Though if there were an "immovable" extra I would do my best to afford it!

Jemal

Adventurer
Second run at it (Until SuperZero chimes in I'm working under the assumption that toughness/volume work as I thought)

Plane of Force: Create Rank 10 (Continuous+1, Limited: Single shapeable plane of force-1, Subtle 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Innate): 25pp *Can be shaped as either a wall or a sphere(Hemisphere on ground).
With 1000 cubic feet, here's example sizes and toughness at various thicknesses (Note also that I dropped Impervious)
1 inch thick = 44 ft rad Dome; 31 ft rad sphere; 12,000 sq ft wall(10X1200) : Toughness 10
2 inch thick = 31 ft rad Dome; 22 ft rad sphere; 6,000 sq ft wall(10X600) : Toughness 11
4 inch thick = 22 ft rad Dome; 15 ft rad sphere; 3,000 sq ft wall(10X300) : Toughness 12
8 inch thick = 15 ft rad Dome; 11 ft rad sphere; 1,500 sq ft wall(10X150) : Toughness 13
16 inch thick = 11 ft rad Dome; 8 ft rad sphere; 750 sq ft wall (10X75) : Toughness 14
MATH:
2 X pi X Radius squared = square feet of Dome surface
4 X pi X Radius squared = square feet of Sphere surface
SO Radius = Square root of (surface/6.3) for dome; R=sq rt of (surface/12.6)

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Ok, here is my revised Quevadyn

I actually wound up with 2 points left over LOL

Quevadyn
Power Level 6/90pp
Race: Human
Sex: Female

Abilities
-----------------
STR: 0; STA: 1; AGL: 2; DEX: 1;
FGT: 0; INT: 2; AWE: 3; PRE: 3;
(Abilities 26)

Defenses
-----------------
Dodge 5 (2 base + 2 + 1 small shield)
Fortitude 4 (2 base + 2)
Parry 5 (2 base + 2 + 1 small shield)
Toughness 5 (2 base + 3 Chainmail)
Will 5 (3 base + 2)
(Defenses 8)

Offense
Initiative +0
Magic Attack +12 Ranged, DC 27 Toughness, Magic
Fireball +11 Ranged Area, DC 26 Toughness, Magic & Fire
Spear +0 Melee, DC 15 Parry(?) , Piercing

Skills
-----------------
Expertise (Magic) 2 Int + 6 = 8
Expertise (Nature) 2 Int + 6 = 8
Insight 3 AWE + 1 = 4
Perception 3 AWE + 2 = 5
Ranged Attack (Magic) 1 Dex + 5 = 6
Stealth 2 AGL + 4 = 6

(Skills 12)

Powers
----------
Whispers of the Unseen:
Senses (Visual) 8 ranks (8)
Awareness (spirit), Danger Sense, Extended, Penetrates Concealment, Radius (Extra: Alternate Effect)
AP: Senses (Mental) 8 (8)
Postcognition, Precognition (Flaw: Uncontrolled (-8))

Spellcasting:
Magic 5 ranks (Extra: Area) (15 + 13 = 28) {Fireball}
DAP: Environment (cold) 5 ranks (Extra: Selective) (15) {Weather Magic}
DAP: Environment (heat) 5 ranks (Extra: Selective) (15) {Weather Magic}
DAP: Environment (impede) 5 ranks (Extra: Selective) (15) {Weather Magic}
DAP: Environment (light) 5 ranks (Extra: Selective) (15) {Weather Magic}
DAP: Environment (visibility) 5 ranks (Extra: Selective) (15) {Weather Magic}
AP: Luck Control 4 ranks (Extra: Luck 3) (15) {Curses and Boons}
AP: Healing 6 ranks (Extra: Persistent, Stabilize) (14) {Spirit Healing}
AP: Blast 6 (12) Magic Blast
(Powers 36)

Advantages
---------------
Animal Empathy
Equipment 2
Favored Enviroment (Woodlands)
Ritualist
Tracking
Trance

(Advantages 7)
Equipment 9/10
---------------
Chain-mail
Spear
Small Shield
Spirit Bag
Dried food
Fetish
Ceremonial Knife

Totals: 88/90
Attributes: 26
Defenses: 9
Skills: 12
Advantages: 7
Powers: 36

Complications
--------------
Responsibility: Quevdyn has true faith and trust in the spirits and has the responsibility to act in compliance to what they say.
Prejudice: Quevdyn doesn't act like normal people and lacks understanding of many things in civilized culture, thus is viewed with distrust
Acceptance: (begins only after some time with the party) Quevdyn would never admit it, even to herself, but she really wants to be accepted into the party and be friends.
Power Loss: Quevdyn's magic is dependent on not angering the spirits.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

First though, I actually forgot to recalculate from my previous -2 limitation, which is why I had the lower cost, thank you for spotting that.
No problem. :)

I can see where you're coming from at a balance perspective, I just want to give my views: Create does not state that they have a MAXIMUM toughness equal to your rank, it says they have a TOUGHNESS equal to your rank (The word maximum is only used in relation to the volume).
Disagree with you on the semantics, but anyways, here is the official word from the Greenronin site, last paragraph of that post (as ruled for 2nd ed, but as there's been no change in wording since then...). All the advice in the main forum also seems to fall in line with this as well (search for "Create Toughness" or the like here).

volume.
I sincerely hope that's not how it gets ruled, because that'll make most of what I had planned impossible.
At rank 10 i would be able to create a structure of maximum 10X10X10? So not even a tiny hut.
It also means that it would take the exact same amount of effort and power to create a featureless cube as to create a fully furnished room of the same size as said cube. That seems too counter intuitive.
I can see an argument for simplicity if the user of the power wants to take the easy way, or if you're in a RL, face to face situation and the maths taking away from game time, but I see no reason to limit someone willing to take the time without interrupting the game. I'm fine with a bit of simplification/rounding (I have no intention of detailed blueprints...) but the 'total volume' concept just kills create for me.
That's how we played it anyways. Being able to create *anything* you can imagine that fits in a 10X10X10 cube is actually a pretty powerful/handy thing to have (assuming you have the Precise Extra), but a lot of the uses you were thinking about can probably be represented better with other powers that simply happen to have a "Force" descriptor (as always in M&M, it's important to think about what you want to *do* instead of how you want to do it). Take the hut, for example: what do you want it to do? Depending on your answer, you might be better served with some sort of area effect Immunity?

As to the proportional "thicker is tougher" idea : that's actually the opposite of what proportional does. Proportional makes it so the more volume you use, the LESS toughness you get.
Yes? Exactly? Create a *big*, high volume dome and it's less tough, create a smaller, "thicker", dome and it's tougher. Seems to be exactly what you were trying to model (?).

and finally as to moving it: from my reading of the extras/limits on create (movable, tether, stationary) it seems to at base function like a real object with regards to being moved- albeit without listing any mass. (one would assume mass corresponding to equivalent volume rank). Though if there were an "immovable" extra I would do my best to afford it!
Um, there is? "Stationary" on page 103? For 2nd Ed, we ruled that any created object had trivial mass as default (which is usually an advantage). If you want it to be hard to move (for whatever reason, including being heavy), then you obviously consider *that* an advantage over a regular created object, so you had to pay for it (with the Stationary Extra). Wether it falls back down to the ground or hangs in mid-air after you let it go is then just a question of what SFX you've choosen for it. As I said, YMMV.

EDIT= With your interpretation, it works fairly well for substances with known densities, but how heavy is "force" (one could very easily argue for "no weight at all" in this perticular case)? "Hardened air/fire"? "Transluscent metallic aluminium"? It just seems to invite interpretation when there's no real need for it...

Last edited:

Binder Fred

[MENTION=33]DarwinofMind[/MENTION], did you see my coment on the need to add Selective to some/all of your Environment powers? Else when you Impede, for example, you'll be Impeding *everybody* within the area of effect, including the rest of the party? Is that really what you want?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I made a few changes shifted some stuff around and got Selective in there. The fireball is still not Selective cuz, if you're dumb enough to stand in the fireball... :)

Anyways I hope I have everything right. I love M&M as a system but it often confuses me.

Jemal

Adventurer
Disagree with you on the semantics, but anyways, here is the official word from the Greenronin site, last paragraph of that post (as ruled for 2nd ed, but as there's been no change in wording since then...). All the advice in the main forum also seems to fall in line with this as well (search for "Create Toughness" or the like here).
There has been a change though. There's no progression in 3e. Increased Mass is SIMILAR, but I never thought it could apply to Create. If I can apply it as a progression then I'd cede the point, but that response from kenson seems to be that he's against allowing toughness by thickness because of Progression. He ends by basically saying "if you allow doubling thickness then don't allow progression."

That's how we played it anyways. Being able to create *anything* you can imagine that fits in a 10X10X10 cube is actually a pretty powerful/handy thing to have (assuming you have the Precise Extra), but a lot of the uses you were thinking about can probably be represented better with other powers that simply happen to have a "Force" descriptor (as always in M&M, it's important to think about what you want to *do* instead of how you want to do it). Take the hut, for example: what do you want it to do? Depending on your answer, you might be better served with some sort of area effect Immunity?
I was intending to Create mazes, houses, obstacles, bridges, a bunch of types of structures.
Yes? Exactly? Create a *big*, high volume dome and it's less tough, create a smaller, "thicker", dome and it's tougher. Seems to be exactly what you were trying to model (?).
Except that's not how it works... If we were to follow your ruling on volume and toughness, then the small dome could have walls that are paper thin and the big dome could be several feet thick without affecting the toughness, the only thing that would matter would be the overall volume of the dome. Bigger objects with less toughness.
Looking at a very simple example, and the basic way I'll be using it most often : a WALL. Proportional Create 10 could create a wall 10 feet thick, 10 feet tall, and 50 feet wide.(Volume rank 9) with toughness 1. OR it could create a wall 10 feet tall, 60 feet wide and only ONE foot thick (60 cubic feet, volume rank 6), and have toughness 4.
So the second wall is the same height, 10 feet longer, and 1/10th as thick, but tougher. That's what proportional does.

Um, there is? "Stationary" on page 103? For 2nd Ed, we ruled that any created object had trivial mass as default (which is usually an advantage). If you want it to be hard to move (for whatever reason, including being heavy), then you obviously consider *that* an advantage over a regular created object, so you had to pay for it (with the Stationary Extra). Whether it falls back down to the ground or hangs in mid-air after you let it go is then just a question of what SFX you've chosen for it. As I said, YMMV.
OK Lets look at a few things.
First off, dropping a created object causes damage. A fair bit of damage. Objects without mass don't hurt when they fall on you. Ipso Facto, created objects have non-trivial mass. *Though admittedly it does base the damage off the objects toughness which makes less sense..*
Now lets look at the three powers I quoted.
Stationary: It appears to me to be about keeping an object in the air, not about keeping it in one place. It does mention that it resists being moved with a str score, which upon thinking further, IS better than just having that much mass, because mass doesn't resist, so that could be useful to me, but that's a different point.
Movable: You can move your object with a move-object effect at your create rank. This seems to imply to me that you would need a higher rank move object to move a bigger object. If the object is essentially weightless, then this is just a cheap way of gaining Telekinesis (via a platform or grasping object) combined with your create.
Tether: OK this one's just weird. You have a 'connection' that allows you to exert your strength on your created object... But this just raises questions. What's the range? Is it limitless (in which case its essentially an odd form of cheap telekinesis that uses your strength score instead); Is it touch range, in which case it seems entirely pointless (if you can already move created objects with strength..); Or does it have a specific range (In which case why is this not stated).

On top of that, the book has a section on using created objects as cover. If they could be just moved out of the way with minimal effort that would be entirely pointless.
All of these things together cause me to believe that created objects have mass.

EDIT= With your interpretation, it works fairly well for substances with known densities, but how heavy is "force" (one could very easily argue for "no weight at all" in this perticular case)? "Hardened air/fire"? "Transluscent metallic aluminium"? It just seems to invite interpretation when there's no real need for it...
I was just working under a basic assumption of mass = volume rank for simplicity. Regardless of what you 'say' you've made, the power creates objects of the same density. Otherwise I could create 1000 cubic feet of Osmium and crush superman. lol
*edit: just for fun: that much osmium would weigh 640 metric tonnes and be worth over $30 billion US.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

There has been a change though. There's no progression in 3e. Increased Mass is SIMILAR, but I never thought it could apply to Create. If I can apply it as a progression then I'd cede the point, but that response from kenson seems to be that he's against allowing toughness by thickness because of Progression. He ends by basically saying "if you allow doubling thickness then don't allow progression."
Read it again, please. He's saying, almost word for word: "The rules as written are that a created object has a Toughness equal to its Rank." That directly implies that "Created objects' Toughness is therefore *not* affected by Progression." The first statement is not, IMHO, at all conditionned by the presence or absence of the second. it's simply the basis of his reasoning.

If you're instead suggesting that his later suggestion *in case that group decides to houserule it* is in fact what happened when they created 3rd ed (i.e. "They removed Progression, so that must mean we're now allowed to boost Toughness with thickness, right?")... I think that's a bit of a stretch... And it seems to be contradicted by a lot of other piece of advice in the main 3rd ED forum (see link above).

I was intending to Create mazes, houses, obstacles, bridges, a bunch of types of structures.
Mazes and obstacles are things that slow, immobilize, distract or confuse their targets (Afflictions, mostly). Houses are things that protect you from the cold, wind or the elements (Immunities), or, maybe a bit of a stretch for a Force-based power, give you peaceful rest (Healings). Bridges are... no problem at all with Create, I would think, unless you wanted to ford the Grand Canyon or something? Once you start opening up a closed shape, you can get a lot of surface out of your create.

Except that's not how it works... If we were to follow your ruling on volume and toughness, then the small dome could have walls that are paper thin and the big dome could be several feet thick without affecting the toughness, the only thing that would matter would be the overall volume of the dome. Bigger objects with less toughness.
A flat Create would indeed not care at all about the thickness of it's walls. What you're forgetting, I think, is that with the Toughness ruling above in place, there's really no reason at all to make a 4 feet thick wall: with a bare Create power a wall is a wall and will have the same Toughness no matter how thick or thin you make it. What matters to a wall is its useful surface (and yes, this does mean you have to set an arbitrary Minimum Wall Thickness. We go with 1 foot as it makes sense with most materials and it simplifies calculations). Wall thickness, in this context, is just flavor text. Make it 4 feet or 8, so long as you don't try to gain an advantage from it (stopping opponent's on *that* side, for example (that would require two or more angled walls then)), then it doesn't matter. What then becomes important for a wall is it's surface area, how much ground it can cover.

So, if you add Proportional to the power because you want to simulate objects that *do* care about the thickness of their walls, the IC-logic then becomes that you have a fixed amount of mass to work with, so you can either create a paper-thin wall that covers a lot of area, or shrink down your area so you can have a thick, tough wall. In this version you *can't*, IC, arbitrarely decide to have a big AND thick wall because thickness has now become the IC representation of your Proportional -- though the actual thickness pf the big wall vs the small need only be proportional (i.e. you could say your base thickness at maximum volume is 1 inch, or 3 feet, of whatever).

It's somewhat arbitrary, mostly because of the 1 foot thing, but it works fairly well, is the way it *has* to work if we take the "Toughness fixed by rank" approach and is, I think, balanced: closed shapes are so much better than walls in all respects that I can see justification for them costing a lot more to make.

Note: "Trivial weight" is not the same as "weightless". Created object have enough mass to stay in place provided nobody tries to actively move them.

Movable: You can move your object with a move-object effect at your create rank. This seems to imply to me that you would need a higher rank move object to move a bigger object. If the object is essentially weightless, then this is just a cheap way of gaining Telekinesis (via a platform or grasping object) combined with your create.
We have GM's to interpret exactly this sort of thing: "Moveable only allows you to move the weight of your own created objects, whatever that weight may be.". Voila. If you want to move more weight, you know which power to consult. (Various housrules are also a possibility, of course (TK rank = diff between Object toughness and your rank in the Create power or the like)).

Tether: OK this one's just weird. You have a 'connection' that allows you to exert your strength on your created object... But this just raises questions. What's the range? Is it limitless (in which case its essentially an odd form of cheap telekinesis that uses your strength score instead);
With feedback though, so it's more like a form of Stretching? Plus it uses Two actions to get a TK effect (create object, then Move), which is not very efficient... or precise. Can't really conclude anything based on this one though.

On top of that, the book has a section on using created objects as cover. If they could be just moved out of the way with minimal effort that would be entirely pointless.
Well, there's cover against ranged attacks, and for close and/or TK attacks, did I mention the Stationary extra by any chance? ;)

The main problem in terms of logic seems to be the frankly cludged-on "Dropping Objects" use. We have a specific power designed to do just this and it's called Damage. Every other power *has* to buy an Alternate Power to do what "Dropping Objetcs" describes. Why is Create so special? I say drop that section in the waste bin of inhereted system nonsense and good ridance.

I was just working under a basic assumption of mass = volume rank for simplicity.
Sure, a fixed density could be the way to go. You do realize though that 1. the above formula works out to a density of somewhere between 0.8 to 0.9 depending on the rank you're looking at (i.e. slightly *below* the density of water, which is far from realistic for pretty much all building materials known to man), 2. even then a rank 10 objects weights 25 tons, which, if we go with your proposed version, will be resting on a contact surface 1 inch thick (Can forest ground support that weight, never mind the second floor of the Villains Villa?).

I don't know. I guess for me the whole thickness vs Toughness vs density thing just seems too tied to physical reality (*how* you do the things you do) rather than the beautifully abstracted M&M rule-reality (What *advantage* do you gain by spending this many points on this power). You buy Create? You get to, basically, shape barriers into any shape you wish. You want other people to have problems moving the barriers you've just shaped? You pay a little extra. Makes sense to me.

So, to sum up, we have a series of non-exclusive options that Superzero needs to weight-in on:

1. Fixed Toughness (as, I believe, the rules described, but that doesn't necesseraly mean it's the *right* system for us) vs Thickness-based Toughness (limited by PL, I strongly suggest)

2. Entire volume closed shapes vs wall volume closed shapes

3. Trivial weight with Stationary to keep things in place vs fixed density to keep things in place vs density by descriptor

In all cases, a Minimum Wall Thickness (needed to get your base rank in Toughness) needs to be set (Jemal is suggesting 1 inch, I'm suggesting 1 foot... could easily climb up past 3 feet if we're talking about a free-standing wall without the Stationary add-on, really).

Does that about sum it up, Jemal?

Last edited:

Remove ads