• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elemental Evil characters not allowed in Season 3?

kalani

First Post
Thank you.

Where can I read about these clarifications? Could they be added to the document itself?
The best place to read up about clarifications is by joining the DndAL Facebook group(s), reddit, and google+ pages. I personally frequent the FB groups myself (as I am not a fan of google+ or reddit). The link to the main FB group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventurersleague/

Links to regional FB groups can be found on the administrators page.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
It kind of astonishes me how often I see messages or even whole threads from people who vociferously claim that they don't play Organized Play; dude, if you don't play, then why do you care?

And don't bother trying to claim that you just want OP to be 'better' -- dude, you don't *play*, so you're already admitting you have no interest in trying to make the campaign 'better', otherwise you'd be participating.

People can write whatever they want; I'm just trying to come up with basically any reason to take someone seriously when they say "I don't play OP because it sucks, but I still think you should do *this thing here*."

--
Pauper

Steve_MND

First Post
The Story Origin mechanic is an attempt to proactively prevent such problems without the added issues associated with reactive banlists.

Honestly, it's just swapping out one set of cumbersome and oft-inconsistent set of regulations for another set of cumbersome and oft-inconsistent set of regulations. All that's really changed is the flavor. The AL's set of regulations are smaller in size right now due to the lower number of sources having to be dealt with, but the Storyline origin I don't feel is going to be this amazing 'cure-all' in the long run.

kalani

First Post
Honestly, it's just swapping out one set of cumbersome and oft-inconsistent set of regulations for another set of cumbersome and oft-inconsistent set of regulations. All that's really changed is the flavor. The AL's set of regulations are smaller in size right now due to the lower number of sources having to be dealt with, but the Storyline origin I don't feel is going to be this amazing 'cure-all' in the long run.

I don't know about that. I have been using a similar rule* in my home games since the days of 3.5, and it works wonders. In over a decade, I have yet to see an OP character at my table since I instituted this rule, nor have I had anyone complain (as my rule eliminates arbitrary restrictions based on my own taste preferences, and therefore allows players more freedom to create the characters they desire).

* Players can use the PHB and any two splatbooks of their choice when creating/leveling their character (this includes spells, feats, races, classes, and all character options). The only exception is that I might provide magic items or other equipment from any source at my discretion.

darjr

I crit!
magic has been doing a similar thing for ages, right? Go with what works. And it ALREADY has paid dividends. No play testing with combined splats. That is a huge win.

Dracoprimus

First Post
so, you build characters based on your assumptions, without checking the player guide, and the DM is the jerk for holding to the playerguide? I thought you said you played OP before, ther3 is ALWAYS a player guide you are expected to hold to for build limits.

And honestly, the fact you are arguing against the limits as much as you are is EXACTLY why AL didn't want to allow everything and then limit it later.

As AL staff, we've been fielding questions about the legality of SCAG since it was announced. And we've been saying clearly, the entire time, it is NOT legal until otherwise announced. We've spent months saying don't use the SCAG material until told otherwise, up until last week.

It kind of astonishes me how often I see messages or even whole threads from people who vociferously claim that they don't play Organized Play; dude, if you don't play, then why do you care?

And don't bother trying to claim that you just want OP to be 'better' -- dude, you don't *play*, so you're already admitting you have no interest in trying to make the campaign 'better', otherwise you'd be participating.

People can write whatever they want; I'm just trying to come up with basically any reason to take someone seriously when they say "I don't play OP because it sucks, but I still think you should do *this thing here*."

--
Pauper
This was posted in the regular 5e board at first or i would not notice it,,,,don't worry your jack boots are getting me to leave...

Remove ads