• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elemental Savant and Races with Elemental Resistance?

melkoriii

First Post
OK so how would you handle a Aasimar wizard from the Forgoten Reams book becomeing a Elemental Savant?

The PrCl gives you elemental resistance but the Race has that already.

So do they stack?

if not why?

Last edited:

Zogg

First Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't aasimars resistant to only certain kind of elemental damage (like cold and lightning, for instance)? I seem to also remember tieflings having resistance to fire (naturally), so I was thinking the same would be true for aasimars. In other words, their resistance isn't "5 to all elemental damage".

Either way, I would say YES, they stack. This is similar to when other classes, when gaining a feat or ability that they already have, are given options like selecting another feat or improving (ie., stacking) the ones that they have.

Simulacrum

First Post
I asked the exact same question maybe a year ago. And people agreed that it wouldnt stack, but overlap.
Since the resistance comes from two different sources yet confer the same *resistance*. thus they overlap rather than add up.
There has yet to be official word on that from wotc.
I doubt there will ever be.
In doubt its as always: same bonus/resistance never stacks, but overlaps. :eek:

melkoriii

First Post
Zogg said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't aasimars resistant to only certain kind of elemental damage (like cold and lightning, for instance)? I seem to also remember tieflings having resistance to fire (naturally), so I was thinking the same would be true for aasimars. In other words, their resistance isn't "5 to all elemental damage".

Either way, I would say YES, they stack. This is similar to when other classes, when gaining a feat or ability that they already have, are given options like selecting another feat or improving (ie., stacking) the ones that they have.

They have Resistance to Electrical, Cold and Acid of 5.

If he takes the Elemental Savant as Electical then the calss would give him Electrical resistance of 5 at like lvl 4.

So your saying that the Aasimar would then have Electrical of 10, Cold 5 and Acid of 5.

Correct?

melkoriii

First Post
Simulacrum said:
I asked the exact same question maybe a year ago. And people agreed that it wouldnt stack, but overlap.
Since the resistance comes from two different sources yet confer the same *resistance*. thus they overlap rather than add up.
There has yet to be official word on that from wotc.
I doubt there will ever be.
In doubt its as always: same bonus/resistance never stacks, but overlaps. :eek:

That kind of sucks though.

The Aasimar have a ECl of +1. Then they get punished for having it?

Pax

Banned
Banned
They aren't punished. They simply don't NEED it.

Turn the page to Savant (10), when they gain total immunity.

What then, they getimmunity and ... well, how would resistance (infinite) stack with resistance (5) ... ?

isoChron

First Post
If you take Elemental Savant (Air) you get Resistance to Electricity
at 1st level 5, at 4th level 10, at 7th level 15 and at 10th level total immunity.
Now the opposed element is acid an you are (at 10th level and beyond) more vulnerable to damage from this element. So wow, the Acid resistance 5 comes very handy now ...

If you feel like losing something, take elemental savant fire ... aasimars are not protected against fire. But I strongly recommend not to take fire, it's the first element everybody wants protection for.

The Aasimar is a good balanced race for ECL +1, IMHO.

BYE

Last edited:

Remove ads