Elements of Magic Comments

Cyberzombie

Explorer
I have no idea if a patch is possible -- I know exactly nothing about making PDFs; I don't know if Monte has access to something special -- but if one is possible, I will ask Morrus to do one. The FAQ list and errata I know I can do, so I'm working it up. The FAQ will be seperate, in any case.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Cyberzombie said:
I have no idea if a patch is possible -- I know exactly nothing about making PDFs; I don't know if Monte has access to something special -- but if one is possible, I will ask Morrus to do one.

Monte's access to something special was a guy named Alan Card (I didn't intend for that statement to sound dirty, honestly). Monte had admitted previously that he also knew nothing of making PDF patches, and Alan came along and took the errata and did it for him, making the various patches for early Malhavoc Press releases. I don't know the guy's email address or how to get in touch with him, but its a start. Hope that helps.

Selganor

Adventurer
Maybe I just have to reread EoM a few times, but I can't find a way to do my favorite spell with this magic system: "Mount"

I only recently dicovered how usefull this spell can be but so far (on my first read-through) can't find any way to do so.

Maybe Summon (Biomatter) but I'm not too sure.

How do I create other Summoning Spells (like Summon Nature's Ally and the like) ?

The simplest thing would be to summon a Celestial/Infernal/Axiomatic/Anarchic Horse. Alternately, a slightly lenient application of Infuse Object with Life could work if you wanted to create a mobile creature out of existing matter. It wouldn't be able to fight, just move.

Dark Eternal

First Post
First and foremost, my compliments to the chef! EoM is a fantastic product; I had been working on an idea quite similar to what is here, and I just couldn't figure out how to handle a lot of factors. The solutions in Elements to the problems I was dealing with are simple but elegent, and to say that I'm impressed is to risk understatement. Thank you to all involved for making this book available; I'll be quite interested in getting my hands on supplimentary material for this system.

Ok, now on to business. The biggest question I've had so far has to do with the side effects; particularly the side effects of the Life element. Why does it create heat? I had briefly had visions of White Mages being able to use Evoke Area Life, Create Life Object and Wall of Life spells to fashion wonderous and strange types of healing effects, but my dungeon master pointed out that these things would deal damage from heat at the same time that they healed damage! Was this intentional, and is there any way to prevent this side effect?

My next biggest question was about the Biomatter element, but I've already mostly answered it from previous comments in this thread... ; ) One remaining question, though - do organic remains of living things count as 'Biomatter'? eg. would Abjure Biomatter protect someone from organic but non-living weapons?

That's all I have for now, but I might have a few more questions as we get closer to starting our new campaign (which will be using the Elements of Magic system for spellcasting - I'm very excited about it). Thanks again - for everything! ; )

Victim

First Post
There needs to be a side effect altering metamagic feat. Maybe +1 level for adjusting the side effect intenisty by 1.

Anon Dragon

First Post
Victim,
I would go even further. RangerWickett stated that combination effects would become available in the next rule book. Why keep using Meta feats, when meta lists would serve so much better(if possible).

There are several examples, one would increase (or decrease) the elemental side-effect. One could increase duration, eventually replacing permanency (based on the original duration). Another would add Contingencies to spells for triggers. (a delay blast fireball, a force effect in retaliation of getting hit, or a teleport when disabled.) I think that 90% of the current metaspell-feats can be altered in this manner.

I wonder if this is something that the authors have planned for the next book and I'm eager to see what they come up with. I only wonder if this will leave the system balanced?

towerwarlock

First Post
Elements of Magic and other spells

I have enjoyed the new magic of the Elements of Magic, and I think that those who don't see their favorite spell or want to create Undead might consider the Alter Reality spell list and use it to duplicate a spell effect. After all, the Player's Handbook and other books all list the spell level for the spells, it would be easy to use the Alter Reality spell list to recreate these spells.

r-kelleg

First Post
RangerWickett said:
To R-Kelleg

The Medium saving throw was first introduced in the Star Wars D20 version. I don't see why it'd be a problem.

Because none of the class ever proposed in all the D20 fantasy oriented books I saw used them :p

Understand me well, I think that those medium SavingThrow are an excellent idea. but They are alone in the DnD world. May be the monk should be revised or the barbarian or the rogue...
Anyway, that's a detail. This system is amazing. We will play with it next sunday. I can't wait :D

Last edited:

Cyberzombie

Explorer
I've saved this page again, and I'm adding questions and comments to the FAQ/Errata sheet I'm working up. I should have a first draft within a week, maybe less. I want to have it as complete as possible. :)

Remove ads