Elements of Magic - Spell Creation and Critique

The Goblin King

First Post
I'm trying to figure out how to do this spell. The idea is to make the targets shadow animate and attack them. I'm not sure if Summon Undead or Transform Undead is the best way to go. Also, this spell can be defeated by a really really bright light which would cause all the shadows in the area to disappear. Would that be worth anything or would that just be a side effect?

Semirhage

First Post
Opinion

The cost effective approach on this one will be Summon Undead. With the MP you save, you can afford some extra general enhancements or use Illusion Shadow to make it appear as if the character's shadow vanished when the monster was summoned.

The flavor bit really isn't worth anything, when you consider that the effect that dispels all shadows in the area is going to be 1) a 3 MP plus modifer Create Light Spell{Luminesence}, which by definition drives away all Shadows, or 2) an Evoke Light spell or varying magnitude, which is the antithesis of the shadow anyway. So, all you've really said is that the system works and opposed elements do extra damage. ;)

Archus

Explorer
RuleMaster said:
Lyceian Arcana has a feat like Overcasting, but it will result in Ability Damage. Any overspending beyound the actual caster level has to be carefully considered regarding its consequences.

I like this method much better than the one I proposed. I knew that general enhancement MP reduciton would just make everything more powerful but for some reason the cost of range bothers me (easily fixed as a house rule to make it Touch 0 MP, 800 ft 1MP if I wanted - or just use scry).

RuleMaster said:
"To fireball like damage"? Is this English? :confused: If you mean, that you don't get more damage with an increased caster level, then you don't take into account, that with adapting damage it would be greatly unbalanced. In such a case, you can toss out tons of damage and pay only 5 MP for each spell, while having hundreds of MP. It is only a different way to adjust the power - in the core rules, the magic system without the use of the caster level would be simply unusable, because you would have to research every level a new spell for the slots, which have to be changed, too. Yes, everything balanced in its own way.

I meant I'm used to having a 10th level wizard dish out 10d6 in an area with fireball, where the EoMR "wizard" would only dish out 6d6 in an area. But the nice thing (you rightly point out) is that the EoMR wizard could do that a bunch of times.

Slowly I'm adjusting my world view and liking EoMR more and more. The hints dropped about the Lyceian Arcana have convinced me that it is a must have. I'll be using the two supplements in my next game and will try to get all the spellcasters to buy their own copies.

RuleMaster said:
I agree with you about the clerics, but I have to disagree with you about the multiclassing. While the wizard/cleric combination is easily achieved and in every regard as viable as every other pure caster combination, a fighter/mage is still screwed. Feats like Practised Spellcaster or the other one in your wiki help to mitigate the problem, but it kinda like to say: "In a Undead-heavy campaign the rouge has to take a feat, which allows sneak-attacking of undead" - give one of your precious resources up to be viable again. Actually, I don't believe, that it is possible to balance a fighter/mage out without changing MP per day, spell lists known, bonus feats and so on, and if we are at this area, then it is simpler, if we can give up classes and switch to a system like the one of Buy The Numbers.

I didn't find my 5th/5th Wizard/Cleric to be anywhere near as effective as the 10th Wizard or 10th Cleric. A little more versitile. But then I picked up a prestige class that leveled both at the same time and I was a god. My 9th Wizard with 1 level of Cleric was much better - access to Cleric scrolls was all I need.

The Practiced Spellcaster is a minor patch for a very focused spellcaster that is mostly a fighter. The Mageknight is really the way to go if you want to do both.

You have a good point about spending the precious feats to be effective. I tried to mix up the types of enounters in my game, but when they fought undead and constructs too often the rogues felt slighted. Same thing happens if you fight too many things with magic resistance - the spellcasters are fairly screwed. If I were running an "against the undead" campaign, I might let the rogues have their sneak attack effect undead normally but take a feat to effect the living (specilized undead slaying rogues).

Thanks for the feedback RuleMaster, it helped.

Verequus

First Post
Archus said:
Slowly I'm adjusting my world view and liking EoMR more and more. The hints dropped about the Lyceian Arcana have convinced me that it is a must have. I'll be using the two supplements in my next game and will try to get all the spellcasters to buy their own copies.

If you have seen the teasers, then it is no question, that Lyceian Arcana will be very useful. Combined with an updated EoMR (how shall that be called? EoMR 1.5?) it will be an invincible system compared to the core rules. And I appreciate the support, like RangerWickett surely does (although I won't see any money from it :p ).

I didn't find my 5th/5th Wizard/Cleric to be anywhere near as effective as the 10th Wizard or 10th Cleric. A little more versitile. But then I picked up a prestige class that leveled both at the same time and I was a god. My 9th Wizard with 1 level of Cleric was much better - access to Cleric scrolls was all I need.

I meant actually the EoMR-representation of a Wizard/Cleric, not the standard classes. I should have made that clearer.

The Practiced Spellcaster is a minor patch for a very focused spellcaster that is mostly a fighter. The Mageknight is really the way to go if you want to do both.

Yes, I've looked again at the stats. I've never noticed before, that a Mageknight has access to Fighter-only feats, so my impression, that Mageknight is some kind of Cleric is only partially correct: It can be one, but it hasn't to be one.

You have a good point about spending the precious feats to be effective. I tried to mix up the types of enounters in my game, but when they fought undead and constructs too often the rogues felt slighted. Same thing happens if you fight too many things with magic resistance - the spellcasters are fairly screwed. If I were running an "against the undead" campaign, I might let the rogues have their sneak attack effect undead normally but take a feat to effect the living (specilized undead slaying rogues).

The problem with the undead sneaking is, that it doesn't take into account, what sneak attack actually means. SKR himself suggested himself a solution, but I don't find the thread now, where the solution is detailed (and I've forgotten it). Maybe you can ask in Meta for that?

Thanks for the feedback RuleMaster, it helped.

I'm glad to help. Actually, the lack of your response made me insecure, if I have gone too far in one or other direction - but it seems, I worried simply too much. At least, the years dabbling in game design start to pay off themselves. How goes the old saying? "To become a good game designer, you have to start as a bad one." ;)

Archus

Explorer
RuleMaster said:
Yes, I've looked again at the stats. I've never noticed before, that a Mageknight has access to Fighter-only feats, so my impression, that Mageknight is some kind of Cleric is only partially correct: It can be one, but it hasn't to be one.

Mageknights don't need to be religious at all. I was planning on making an order of swordmages Mageknight. Spells to boost defenses, movement, and damage being the order of the day. You could even make an unarmed specalist with spells to boost damage - although I'd really like to make a prestige class for these guys to give them Monk like bonuses to unarmed damage - but even without they could do some impressive things.

RuleMaster said:
The problem with the undead sneaking is, that it doesn't take into account, what sneak attack actually means. SKR himself suggested himself a solution, but I don't find the thread now, where the solution is detailed (and I've forgotten it). Maybe you can ask in Meta for that?

I'll go check it out. You could change the sneak attack from dirty fighting and knowledge of weak spots to magically enhanced damage vs undead, but why would you need to distract them....

Probably would make a better undead slayer with a mageknight.

RuleMaster said:
I'm glad to help. Actually, the lack of your response made me insecure, if I have gone too far in one or other direction - but it seems, I worried simply too much. At least, the years dabbling in game design start to pay off themselves. How goes the old saying? "To become a good game designer, you have to start as a bad one." ;)

I wasn't offended at all, just was at my MBA classes this weekend. Even if your ideas went against mine, I'm always happy to hear well constructed discourse (as yours is).

Just keeping up my interest in EoMR until LR comes out and I try to start my new campaign. Trying to decide between running "The Worlds Largest Dungeon", Dragonstar, Dungeon Magazine adventures, or something of my own creation. I'll probably go with TWLD for now - 8 months to go on my masters and not much time. Some of the non-magic classes from Arcana Unearthed are going to be brought in - if I had time I'd port over the Witch, and Magister (very little effort needed here) to EoMR.

Have a good night.

Verequus

First Post
Archus said:
Mageknights don't need to be religious at all. I was planning on making an order of swordmages Mageknight. Spells to boost defenses, movement, and damage being the order of the day. You could even make an unarmed specalist with spells to boost damage - although I'd really like to make a prestige class for these guys to give them Monk like bonuses to unarmed damage - but even without they could do some impressive things.

I haven't considered this path - thank you for the tip!

I wasn't offended at all, just was at my MBA classes this weekend. Even if your ideas went against mine, I'm always happy to hear well constructed discourse (as yours is).

Thank you! :eek:

Just keeping up my interest in EoMR until LR comes out and I try to start my new campaign. Trying to decide between running "The Worlds Largest Dungeon", Dragonstar, Dungeon Magazine adventures, or something of my own creation. I'll probably go with TWLD for now - 8 months to go on my masters and not much time. Some of the non-magic classes from Arcana Unearthed are going to be brought in - if I had time I'd port over the Witch, and Magister (very little effort needed here) to EoMR.

Have a good night.

I'd like to see the ports - you could put them on the wiki. But beware, that you can't use the names, as they are IP. But ask Monte for a license, which allows the use.

Good night and good luck.

astriemer

First Post
New Spells and such

Hey all-
I finally got around to posting some of the spells we've been using in our campaign. I was about to post them to the wiki site, but thought I'd run them past you all to get some feedback.

I've divided the spells into three sections: d20 conversions, new spells, and a few new feats that we've come up with (though we haven't tried any of them yet).

Thanks for the assist,

Okay, I've broken this post into three parts so as to make comments easier. Sorry for the long original post (they're still long, but not as bad).

This first one will just be d20 spell conversions...

d20 SPELL CONVERSIONS

0 MP Spells
Anarchic Water
Infuse Chaos 0/Gen 0
Total MP: 0
Range: Touch
Area: one pint of water
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: None
Spell Resistance: No
Description: This spell imbues a flash (1 pint) of water with the energy of chaos, turning it into anarchic water. Requires the Craft Charged Item feat (cost: 10 gp + 1 XP). Costs: 0 MP Infuse Chaos.
Similar spells exist for Holy Water, Axiomatic Water, and Unholy water.

Blur
Illusion Shadow 0/Gen 0
Total MP: 0
Area: one creature
Duration: 1 minute
Save: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: yes (harmless)
Description: The subject’s outline appears blurred, shifting and wavering. This distortion grants the subject concealment (20% miss chance). A see invisibility spell or the like does not counteract the blur effect, but a true seeing spell does. Opponents that cannot see the subject or that have blindsense or blindsight ignore the spell’s effect (though fighting an unseen opponent carries penalties of its own).Costs: 0 MP simple visual illusion.

1 MP Spells
Beastland Ferocity
Charm Humanoid 0/Gen 1
Total MP: 1
Area: one humanoid
Duration: 10 minutes
Save: Will (harmless)
Description: You unleash the savage will to survive inherent in every creature. The subject becomes such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying. If the creature is reduced to -10 hit points, it dies normally. Costs: 0 MP mild bravery, 1 MP duration.

Camoflage
Illusion Shadow 1/Gen 0
Description: The affected creature is concealed by a fair illusion granting a +10 bonus to Hide checks. Costs: 1 MP standard visual illusion.

Darkvision
Scry 1/Gen 0
Save: Will negates
Spell Resistance: yes
Description: For the duration the target gains darkvision 30. Costs: 1 MP darkvision.

Daze
Charm Humanoid 0/Gen 1
Range: Close
Description: The caster dazes a creature of 5 HD or less. The dazed creature can take no actions, but can defend itself normally for the duration. Costs: 0 MP weak daze, 1 MP range.

Featherfall
Move Air 0/Gen 1
Description: This signature spell is quickened, allowing it to be cast after you fall, before you hit the ground. You fall at a safe speed of 60 ft. per round. Costs: 0 MP featherfall, 1 MP quickened signature spell (cantrip). This spell requires the Quickened Spell feat.

Resistance
Abjure Force 0/Gen 1
Duration: 1 hour
Description: You get a +1 resistance bonus on all saves for the duration. Costs: 0 MP free cantrip effect, 1 MP duration.

Spook
Charm Humanoid 0/Gen 1
Description: The target is spooked and suffers from being shaken (-2 morale penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and saving throws). Costs: 0 MP weak fear, 1 MP range.

2 MP Spells
Darkvision
Scry 1/Gen 1
Total MP: 2
Description: The target gets darkvision 30’ for the duration. Costs: 1 MP scry darkvision, 1 MP duration.

3 MP Spells
Invisibility
Illusion Shadow 3/Gen 0
Total MP: 3
Description: The affected creature is protected by a complex visual illusion. If the affected creature deal damage to, or casts a spell and has it resisted by, another creature, that creature is allowed to attempt to disbelieve automatically, with a +4 bonus. Costs: 3 MP complex visual illusion.

Magic Missile
Evoke Force 2/Gen 1
Description: The caster fires force missiles that strike the target for 3d6 force damage with a successful ranged touch attack. Costs: 2 MP damage, 1 MP range.

Melf’s Acid Arrow
Create Acid 1/Infuse Force 1/Gen 1
Area: Fifty projectiles, all of which must be in contact with each other at the time of casting
Description: You turn ammunition (such as arrows, bolts, shuriken, and stones) into acidic projectiles. Each piece of ammunition deals an extra 1d6 points of acid damage to any target it hits. Additionally each missile gains a +1 enhancement bonus on attacks and damage. Costs: 1 MP damage, 1 MP duration, 1 MP infuse force

Obscuring Mist
Create Mist 0/Gen 3
Range: 0
Area: 20 foot radius sphere
Description: The caster creates a cloud of mist that obscures sight. Total concealment for more than 5’ away, partial concealment to 5’ (20% miss). Mist can be dispersed by strong winds. Costs: 0 MP mist, 2 MP area, 1 MP duration.

Protection from Elements
Abjure Force 2/Gen 1
Area: Creature Touched
Description: The affected creature is protected from energy damage. The creature has energy resistance (all) of 5. Costs: 2 MP energy resistance, 1 MP duration.

Shield (Force)
Create Force 2/Move Force 1/Gen 0
Area: tower shield
Description: Creates a tower shield of force that moves to intercept attacks made at the caster providing a +4 shield bonus to AC. The shield moves of its own accord to block attacks as long as the caster is aware of the attack. Costs: 2 MP elemental object, 1 MP effective strength.

Sleep
Charm Humanoid 1/Gen 2
Area: 10 foot radius sphere
Description: Creatures in the area (up to 7 HD) fall asleep unless they make their Will save. Costs: 0 MP weak sleep, 1 MP range, 1 MP area, 1 MP increase threshold

4 MP Spells
Tiefling/Eladrin Blessing
Infuse Lighting 3/Gen 1
Total MP: 4
Area: Creature touched
Description: The creature touched is filled with a bit of infernal/divine power. They gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma and to Dexterity. Costs: 3 MP enhance two ability scores, 1 MP duration.

5 MP Spells
Avoid Planar Effects
Transform Outsider 4/Gen 1
Total MP: 5
Description: The target gains a temporary respite from the natural effects of a specific plane. These effects include extremes in temperature, lack of air, poisonous fumes, emanations of positive or negative energy, or other attributes of the plane itself. The effects of gravity traits, alignment traits, and magic traits aren’t negated by avoid planar effects, nor is the special entrapping trait that some planes have. Costs: 4 MP transform strong defenses, 1 MP duration.

Hamatula Barbs
Transform Outsider 2/Gen 3
Save: Fortitude (harmless)
Description: This barbed-devil-inspired transmutation causes the subject to grow a covering of sharp barbs from its skin, equipment, or clothing, whichever is appropriate when the spell is cast. Any creature striking the subject with a handheld weapon or a natural weapon takes 1d8 points of slashing and piercing damage from the subject’s barbs. This damage does not apply to attackers using reach weapons. The subject itself is not harmed by its own barbs. Costs: 2 MP transform outsider (partial unique form, est. CR 1), 3 MP duration.

Mechanus Mind
Abjure Force 2/Infuse Death 2/Gen 1
Description: Like entities that inhabit the plane of Mechanus, the subject of Mechanus Mind temporarily becomes a being of focused order. The subject gains a +4 bonus on Will saving throws to resist mind-affecting spells. While in the grip of Mechanus Mind, the subject also becomes more analytical and less emotional. The subject gains a +2 bonus on all Intelligence-based checks, but takes a -2 penalty on Charisma-based checks.

Touch of Adamantine
Transform Metal 4/Gen 1
Area: weapon touched
Description: This spell grants one weapon the properties of an adamantine weapon. The weapon gains a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls (as though it were a masterwork weapon) and bypasses hardness when striking objects or sundering weapons, ignoring hardness less than 20. The affected weapon also has one-third more hit points than normal for the duration of the spell. You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike. A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell. If the weapon is made of another special material (cold iron or silver for example), it loses the benefits of its original special material for the spell’s duration. Costs: 1 MP duration, 4 MP transform (based on the cost of create).

6 MP Spells
Flaming Sphere
Evoke Fire 4/Move Force 1/Gen 1
Total MP: 6
Area: small flaming sphere
Description: Conjures a flaming sphere that does 1d6 fire damage to any creature it touches with a successful ranged touch attack. The caster can move the sphere to attack the same or a new creature each round. Costs: 4 MP enduring damage, 1 MP range, 1 MP effective strength.

Mantle of Chaos
Abjure Law 3/Gen 3
Total MP: 6
Description: Flickering yellow chaotic energy surrounds you. This power grants you spell resistance 14 against lawful spells and spells cast by lawful creatures. Costs: 3 MP abjure law spell resistance, 3 MP duration.

7 MP Spells
Belker Claws
Evoke Air 7/Gen 0
Total MP: 7
Area: Living creature or creatures touched
Save: Fortitude half
Description: This spell transforms one of your hands into a smoky claw like that of a belker. With a successful touch attack, you fill a living target’s lungs with smoke. The smoke inside the victim solidifies into miniature claws and begins to rip at the surrounding organs, dealing 3d4 points of damage. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage dealt. The smoke lasts for two rounds, doing another 3d4 points of damage during the second round. You can use this melee touch attack once per round up to a maximum of twice. Costs: 7 MP air damage split over multiple creatures and rounds.

Telepathy Tap
Compel Humanoid 4/Divination 1/Gen 2
Area: 20’ radius
Duration: Concentration
Description: You can overhear the telepathic conversations of other creatures within the spell’s area. Telepathy tap does not allow you to detect the uncommunicated thoughts of creatures or understand conversations spoken in languages you do not comprehend. In an area where numerous telepathic conversations are occurring at the same time, you must specify the creatures you wish to overhear during a given round. You can separate and decipher the telepathic messages of a number of creatures equal to 1+ your Int bonus. Telepathy Tap does not allow you to overhear the telepathic conversations of creatures protected by a mind blank spell, nor does it grant the ability to telepathically communicate with other creatures. Creatures get an initial save to resist the spell, but if they fail are affected for the entire duration.
Costs: 1 MP mind scan, 3 MP subtle compulsion, 1 MP dowse simple, 2 MP area.

8 MP Spells
Antimagic Shell
Dispel Magic 5/Gen 3
Total MP: 8
Range: Medium
Area: 10’ radius
Save: none
Spell Resistance: special
Description: A sphere of antimagic is created generating SR 15+caster’s ranks in Dispel Magic. Magic items and permanent effects are suppressed if their caster level +11 is less than the SR of the spell. Costs: 5 MP antimagic, 2 MP range, 1 MP area.

Confusion
Charm Humanoid 4/Gen 4
Area: 20 foot radius
Description: Creatures in the area (up to 13 HD) when the spell is cast are confused for the duration. Costs: 0 MP weak confusion, 4 MP increase threshold, 1 MP range, 1 MP duration, 2 MP area.

Infernal Wound
Create Death 8/Gen 0
Description: The infernal wound spell makes a weapon inflict persistent wounds similar to those made by bearded devils and horned devils. A creature injured by a weapon with infernal wound cast upon it loses 2 additional hit points each round for the remaining duration of the spell. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a Heal check (DC 10 + MP/2 + caster’s ability mod), a cure spell, or a heal spell. Costs: 8 MP elemental weapon (damage averaged and spread over duration).

Evil Glare
Evoke Death 6/Gen 2
Range: 30 feet
Area: living creatures
Duration: 1 minute and 1d8 rounds; see text
Description: This spell, inspired by the malevolent gaze of the shadowy nightwalkers, causes your eyes to glow with dark energy. Immediately upon completion of the spell, you may target a living creature within range with your glare; that creature becomes paralyzed with fear for 1d8 rounds. You must be able to see the creature, and it must be able to see you (though it need not meet your gaze). Once per round after that for the duration of the spell, you can target another creature with your glare as a move action. You can’t target the same creature twice with a single casting of the spell, regardless of the success of its saves. Cost: 6 MP death damage (swapped out for paralysis), 1 MP range, 1 MP duration (divided among targets).

Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser
Dispel Magic 5/Gen 3
Area: 10’ radius
Save: none
Spell Resistance: special
Description: In immobile faintly shimmering sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects unable to penetrate SR 15+caster’s ranks in Dispel Magic. The area of effect of any such spells does not include the area of the globe. The caster is unaffected by the globe and up to 8 other creatures can also be unaffected. The globe can be brought down by a targeted dispel magic, but not an area dispel magic. Note that spell effects are not disrupted; they are merely suppressed while within the globe. Magic items and permanent effects are suppressed if their caster level +11 is less than the SR of the spell. Costs: 5 MP antimagic, 1 MP duration, 1 MP area, 1 MP discerning.

Magic Missiles
Evoke Force 5/Gen 3
Area: up to 8 creatures in a 20’ diameter sphere
Description: The caster fires force missiles that automatically strike up to eight targets for 3d4+3 force damage. Costs: 5 MP damage (halved for no save), 1 MP range, 1 MP area, 1 MP discerning.

Shield of Glory
Abjure Nature 3/ Abjure Force 4/Gen 1
Area: one creature touched
Description: An armor like force strengthens the creatures clothing or skin providing a +4 enchanement bonus to AC and providing resistance 10 versus all forms of energy. Costs: 3 MP abjure nature AC, 4 MP abjure force resistance, 1 MP duration.

Tiefling/Eladrin Blessing, Greater
Infuse Lava 4/Infuse Force 1/Gen 3
Area: Creature touched
Description: The creature touched is filled with a bit of infernal/divine power. They gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma and a +2 enhancement bonus to attacks. Costs: 4 MP enhance one ability scores, 1 MP enhance attack, 3 MP duration.

Magic Weapon, Greater
Infuse Force 5/Gen 3
Description: The weapon touched by the caster gains a +5 enhancement bonus on attacks and damage. It is also considered a magical weapon for purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Costs: 5 MP enhance attack, 3 MP duration.

Haste, Greater
Infuse Time 5/Gen 3
Area: caster
Description: The caster is placed slightly outside the time stream such that he is moving slightly quicker than the normal world. As a result he gains an extra standard action each round. This spell counters and is countered by slow. Costs: 5 MP enhance time, 3 MP duration.

X-Ray Vision
Scry 5/Gen 3
Range: 60’
Description: For the duration the caster is granted omnivision. He can see through solid objects, with a range of 60’. Darkness still provides concealment, but objects, fog, etc. do not. The caster can choose not to see certain objects, such as if he wants to be able to shield himself from a medusa hiding behind a rock. Costs: 3 MP Omnivision, 2 MP extended range, 3 MP duration.

Fast Healing
Heal Life 8/Gen 0
Description: The caster gains fast healing 7 for the duration of the spell. Costs: 8 MP enduring curing.

Owl’s Wisdom, Greater
Infuse Water 8/Gen 0
Description: Caster is infused with energy gaining +8 enhancement bonus to Wisdom. Duration 10 minutes for Infuse Specialist. Costs: 8 MP increased stat.

Cat’s Grace, Greater
Infuse Air 8/Gen 0
Description: Caster is infused life energy gaining +8 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. Duration 10 minutes for Infuse Specialist. Costs: 8 MP increased stat.

Bull’s Strength, Greater
Infuse Earth 8/Gen 0
Description: Caster is infused with energy gaining +8 enhancement bonus to Strength. Duration 10 minutes for Infuse Specialist. Costs: 8 MP increased stat.

Displacement
Illusion Shadow 1/Illusion Lightning 4/Gen 3
Description: Caster form is hazy and indistinct; his actual location is hard to determine. Creatures have a 50% miss chance with any attack. True seeing or blind-sight will prevent this, but detect invisibility will not. Costs: 1 MP standard visual illusion, 4 MP intensify visual, 3 MP duration.

11 MP Spells
Anarchic Storm
Create Water 1/Evoke Chaos 8/Gen 2
Total MP: 11
Area: 20’ radius centered on caster
Save: Reflex 1/2
Description: A driving rain falls reducing hearing and vision and giving a -4 penalty on Listen, Spot, and Search checks. Additionally, the rain gives a -4 penalty on ranged attacks that pass through the area. The force of the rain extinguishes unprotected flames and has a 50% chance to extinguish protected flames. Lawful creatures in the area take 2d6 damage each round, Neutral creatures take half damage (1/4 with a successful save), and Chaotic creatures take no damage. Costs: 1 MP create water, 8 MP enduring damage, 2 MP area.
A Lesser version of this spell exists that uses Evoke Chaos 4 (Total MP cost 7) that only does 1d6 damage to Lawful creatures each round. Costs: 1 MP create water, 4 MP enduring damage, 2 MP area.
Similar spells exist for Axiomatic Storm (damages Chaotics), Infernal Storm (damages Goods), and Heavenly Storm (damages Evils).

Wall of Force
Create Force 9/Gen 2
Total MP: 11
Area: 10 foot radius around caster
Description: A sphere of force of up to 10 foot radius surrounds the caster. The sphere has hardness 50, energy resistance 50, and 50 hit points per 5’ section. Costs: 3 MP elemental object, 6 MP force special effect, 1 MP area, 1 MP duration.

12 MP Spells
Attune Form
Transform Outsider 4/Gen 8
Total MP: 12
Duration: 1 day
Description: Other than the duration, this spell exactly resembles Avoid Planar Effects. Costs: 4 MP transform strong defenses, 8 MP duration.

Misama of Entropy
Evoke Time 9/Gen 3
Area: 30’ cone
Save: Fortitude 1/2
Description: Misasma of entropy causes accelerated decay in all wood, leather, and other natural materials in the spell’s area. It destroys nonmagical objects of wood, leather, paper, and other formerly living organic matter. All such objects within the area rot into slimy, pulpy masses. Objects weighing more than 10 pounds are not affected, but all other objects of the appropriate composition are ruined. Alternatively, you can target miasma of entropy against a single solid object of nonliving organic matter that weighs up to 100 pounds. When targeted against an animated object of organic material, miasma of entropy deals 10d6 points of damage, with a Fortitude save for half damage. Costs: 9 MP evoke time damage, 3 MP area.

Telepathy Block
Dispel Magic 3/Gen 9
Area: 80’ radius
Save: special
Spell Resistance: no
Description: This spell is designed to block telepathic communication within its area. The area gains spell resistance equal to 1 + your Dispel Magic skill modifier against Compel Humanoid, Compel Outsider, and Compel Magical Beast. Costs: 3 MP targeted anti-magic (1 each Compel Humanoid, Compel Outsider and Compel Magical Beast), 1 MP range, 8 MP area.

15 MP Spells
Balor Nimbus
Create Fire 15/Gen 0
Total MP: 15
Area: Personal
Description: Like the legendary balor, your body bursts into lurid flames. The flames do not harm you or any equipment you carry or wear. However, each round, the flames deal 6d6 points of fire damage to any creature grappling you (or any creature you grapple) on your turn. Costs: 15 MP elemental weapon.

Word of Recall
Move Space 11/Gen 4
Total MP: 15
Duration: 24 hours
Description: The caster is protected by an enchantment that will teleport him to a specified location when a specific condition is met. The condition is named when the spell is first cast (such as when reduced to 0 or fewer hit points). The location is also specified when the spell is first cast. The spell does not function across planes. Therefore, if the trigger condition is meet while the caster is on a different plane than the one he originally cast the spell on, the spell fails to function (unless he is taken back to the original plane and the spell and trigger conditions are still in effect). Costs: 11 MP teleport, 4 MP contingency.

Last edited:

Verequus

First Post
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

So many spells... I can't read them all today, so I tried to find some interesting bits. General comment: Please include detailed costs for every spell - deciphering spells with strange effects are much harder, if you don't know the ingredients of the spell. Some spells contain costs, which are the combination of different effects, like Infernal Wounds.

Touch of Adamantine
Transform Metal 4/Gen 1
Description: This spell grants one weapon the properties of an adamantine weapon. The weapon gains a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls (as though it were a masterwork weapon) and bypasses hardness when striking objects or sundering weapons, ignoring hardness less than 20. The affected weapon also has one-third more hit points than normal for the duration of the spell. You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike. A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell. If the weapon is made of another special material (cold iron or silver for example), it loses the benefits of its original special material for the spell’s duration. Costs: 1 MP duration, 4 MP transform (based on the cost of create).

It isn't only illogical, that one can transform the monk's unarmed strike, but not a normal unarmed strike - I can't form a visual image, that explains this mystery, too. But actually you can this spell not only for the intended effect - a "Adamantine Body" comes into my mind. Without "De-animate" one would be living adamantine, wouldn't one?

Infernal Wound
Create Death 8/Gen 0
Description: The infernal wound spell makes a weapon inflict persistent wounds similar to those made by bearded devils and horned devils. A creature injured by a weapon with infernal wound cast upon it loses 2 additional hit points each round for the remaining duration of the spell. The continuing hit point loss can be stopped by a Heal check (DC 10 + MP/2 + caster’s ability mod), a cure spell, or a heal spell. Costs: 8 MP elemental weapon (damage averaged and spread over duration).

First, averaging damage takes not only the rolling out, but the dividing goes a bit too far with the rules bending, I believe - at least for a general available spell, which should be usable without some houseruling involved. How many damage dice are created? 9d6? Average damage is 31.5, one minute is ten rounds - 2 hp less instead 3? Hold a minute - I just see, you are using Create Death instead Evoke Death. Why? Next to the horrible high MP spent on it, which mean, you could create anything within a 5 ft. cube, you don't describe the kind of weapon, which is created, because the damage depends from the weapon form. I repeat: You create the weapon out of nowhere, you don't need an existing weapon. You seem to have confused two spell lists to worst kind of interpretation possible... *sigh* Also the heal check idea is nowhere supported in the rules - it may have nice flavor, but it isn't core for EoMR and would weaken the spell further.

Belker Claws
Evoke Air 7/Gen 0
Area: Living creature or creatures touched
Save: Fortitude half
Description: This spell transforms one of your hands into a smoky claw like that of a belker. With a successful touch attack, you fill a living target’s lungs with smoke. The smoke inside the victim solidifies into miniature claws and begins to rip at the surrounding organs, dealing 3d4 points of damage. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage dealt. The smoke lasts for two rounds, doing another 3d4 points of damage during the second round. You can use this melee touch attack once per round up to a maximum of twice. Costs: 7 MP air damage split over multiple creatures and rounds.

Those smoky claws should be only illusional - otherwise some munchkin tries to abuse this situation. Why Fortitude as save? Only Death and Life change the save type from Reflex. (BTW, I'm unsure, if I'd allow such a description like smokey claws in the victims lungs in my campaign, but I don't know, how to describe Air damage anyway - maybe strong, compact winds twisting your body? In any case, smoke isn't something what I consider to be creatable by [Air], but I leave this aside for the discussion).

Next, how to you get 6d4 for damage? It is Evoke 7, so the damage, which can you spread, is 8d6. Furthermore, you can discharge a spell only one time within the current rules - there are no double or triple charges possible.

Evil Glare
Evoke Death 6/Gen 2
Range: 30 feet
Area: living creatures
Duration: 1 minute and 1d8 rounds; see text
Description: This spell, inspired by the malevolent gaze of the shadowy nightwalkers, causes your eyes to glow with dark energy. Immediately upon completion of the spell, you may target a living creature within range with your glare; that creature becomes paralyzed with fear for 1d8 rounds. You must be able to see the creature, and it must be able to see you (though it need not meet your gaze). Once per round after that for the duration of the spell, you can target another creature with your glare as a move action. You can’t target the same creature twice with a single casting of the spell, regardless of the success of its saves. Cost: 6 MP death damage (swapped out for paralysis), 1 MP range, 1 MP duration (divided among targets).

The target doesn't have to see you and you can only attack one creature ever with this spell. You can't divide duration, only unconverted damage dice.

Good Specialist [Mage]
You can charge your damaging spells with celestial energy that leaves good creatures unharmed.
Prerequisites: Any good alignment, Spell mastery with Good lists (you must know 6 Good spell lists)
Benefit: A spell you modify with this feat gains the good descriptor. Furthermore, if the spell deals damage, neutral characters take half damage, or one-quarter with a successful saving throw (if allowed)., while good creatures take no damage at all.

Effectively, does this mean, that you cast only Evoke Good spells? A feat would be wasted then. Or do you mean, that Evoke Fire 4 would do damage, which is counted both as [Fire] and [Good]? It would result in weaker spell than Evoke Fire 2/Evoke Good 2, because if someone is immune against either one element/alignment, he won't be damaged at all. In this case, I don't see a reason, why it would be unbalanced, but maybe someone else has another idea. Another effect would be, that you would count for the use of this feat as a [Good] creature regarding any effect possible effect - maybe you should extend this effect for gaining the [Good] subtype through taking the feat. Wouldn't be unreasonable.

Focused Mage [Tradition]
You can trade spell diversity for focused learning.
Prerequisites: None.
Benefit: At any level (after you have taken this feat) you can give up learning a new spell list and in exchange gain a bonus feat. The feat must be used for either a mage, metamagic, or tradition feat. You can do this multiple times, but no more than once per level.

This is broken. Every level a bonus feat? Even the fighter doesn't get this benefit. Furthermore, I believe, that the feat Extra Spell List could be underpowered - you give one of your precious general feats up for only one extra list? What more power does it give to you? Two seem more reasonable.

Spell List Specialist [Mage]
Choose a spell list, such as Evoke Fire. Your spells of that list are more powerful.
Prerequisites: Spell List Focus
Benefit: Whenever you cast a spell from the chosen spell list, you may increase the MP limit by 1, thus allowing you to spend more for a more powerful spell.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you do you may either increase the MP limit by another 1 point or you may apply it to another spell list for which you have the Spell List Focus feat.

1. This is stepping on the feat Spell List Familiarity. 2. I don't know, if this feat is overpowered or underpowered - this requires a lot of number crunching and I don't have time for that now.

I too have not had a chance to read all the spells you posted, but in general I'm very forgiving in my games. When I write rules I try to make sure that things are straightforward and clear, so people who like to stick to the rules can figure out what they can and can't do. But if someone wanted to use Transform Metal to get adamantine fists, I'd just make sure the cost didn't seem too low, and I'd let them have at it.

I encourage imaginative uses in game; I just can't provide rules for them in text.

Archus

Explorer
astriemer said:
Hey all-
I finally got around to posting some of the spells we've been using in our campaign. I was about to post them to the wiki site, but thought I'd run them past you all to get some feedback.

I've divided the spells into three sections: d20 conversions, new spells, and a few new feats that we've come up with (though we haven't tried any of them yet).

Thanks for the assist,
I've been totally caught up in preparing for finals, working, and preparing to travel to Prague in March that I haven't done any work on the wiki site in a while. I'll try to review these spells soon, but feel free to post them anytime - they can always be modified later. And as RangerWickett said, sometimes I allow for more creativitiy and bend the rules a bit.

Not that I have used EoMR yet :(. I'm planning on starting a game in January (and failing that definitely when I get my MBA in July) that will use:
  • EoMR
  • Lyceian Arcana
  • D&D 3.5 - Magic using classes removed in favor of EoMR and LA
  • Arcana Unearthed/Evolved Races - I like leveled races
  • Arcana Unearthed/Evolved Classes - different types of fighters and the akashic. Spellcasters might be converted to EoMR or discarded in favor of EoMR.
  • The Book of Iron Might - nifty combat maneuvers and such
  • Savage Species - monster characters
  • Libris Mortus - undead characters
  • Draconomicon (maybe) - Possibly dragon characters, but looks like Arcana Evolved will take care of me there.
  • Dragonstar (maybe) - If I want to run a space fantasy.
  • Steam and Steel - If I want a steam fantasy game.
  • Wounds and Vitality

At one point I've thought of taking the concept of designing your own "class" and "race" from Cloak of Steel or BESM d20 and combining it with EoMR. Then just make all the core classes and races within that framework as an example. This would allow people just make the kind of character they want to play while keeping mostly compatable with all the d20 material (combining the something like a point buy system with a leveled system that still works for d20 material). Just don't have time to do more than dream about that now.

Well that's mostly me wishing. We will se what comes of those wishes. At the very least I should get to some actual gaming next year.

Remove ads