Elf Cleric/Ranger

Thanee

First Post
Thinking about an Elf Cleric with the Multiclass-to-Ranger feat currently.

Since I would want Perception as a skill, anyways, to enhance one of the elven strengths, the 1st-level multiclass feat seems like a no-brainer, giving a strong encounter ability in addition to the trained skill. Also, elves automatically get proficiency with the bow, so that could be handy.

However, it seems like there is little to no synergy between Cleric and Ranger (Cleric powers don't work with bows; Cleric doesn't need Dex much; etc).

Feels a little restrictive in that combination.

What do you think... could it be worthwhile to follow this path?

Later on, the Ranger's Twin Strike power seems almost worth it to give up the Paragon path for it, doubling your attacks for the rounds where you do not use any of the higher grade abilities.

I would have to concentrate more on the spell-side of the Cleric then, naturally, and get some cross-over powers from the Ranger to enhance bow attacks, since spreading out between melee weapon, ranged weapon and spells wouldn't really work well, I suppose.

Thoughts?
Ideas on specific powers from these two classes, that would work well for that combination?

Bye
Thanee

(Please no "4E Multiclassing sucks, I always said so." comments. Kidding or otherwise. Thanks! :))

Thanee

First Post
Thanks, quite interesting and very similar to what I thought myself. :)

Unfortunately, it seems like it's true, that the synergy effects are simply not enough and thus using the bow is simply not a viable choice at some point forward.

Bye
Thanee

phil500

First Post
the powers are restrictive in that sense.

First of all, you give up your str attacks, which is about 1/2 your powers. so that means you will be landing those with wis. but the wis attacks are mostly ranged- look at the 2 at wills. So you'd basically be using a bow instead of the at wills.

I wouldnt do it unless I could convince my DM to let me replace the STR vs. attacks with DEX vs. That would be really cool.

Gloombunny

First Post
phil500 said:
the powers are restrictive in that sense.

First of all, you give up your str attacks, which is about 1/2 your powers. so that means you will be landing those with wis. but the wis attacks are mostly ranged- look at the 2 at wills. So you'd basically be using a bow instead of the at wills.

I wouldnt do it unless I could convince my DM to let me replace the STR vs. attacks with DEX vs. That would be really cool.
It seems to me that a cleric is best off choosing either Wisdom or Strength and not trying to do both anyway.

drquestion

Explorer
Thanee said:
Unfortunately, it seems like it's true, that the synergy effects are simply not enough and thus using the bow is simply not a viable choice at some point forward.

Yeah, it seems if you want an archer cleric, that's not really an optimal build in 4e.

On the other hand, you might be able to do an effective build with a Str-based cleric multi'd into a dual-wield ranger. Wis as your second ability would even benefit some of the ranger powers.

Thematically, that's probably not what you were looking for, though.

Thanee

First Post
Yep, though that's so extremely straightforward... ;)

Maybe I should investigate my other idea as well, to get a decent weapon (like the Bastard Sword) with the Weapon Proficiency feat and then go that route...

Bye
Thanee

drquestion

Explorer
Thanee said:
Yep, though that's so extremely straightforward...
No, you've got it all wrong. Dual-wielding a mace and a sickle is the epitome of subtlety.

Thanee said:
Maybe I should investigate my other idea as well, to get a decent weapon (like the Bastard Sword) with the Weapon Proficiency feat and then go that route...
That seems like an obvious choice for a Str-based cleric. If you're going to go that route and still want to multi, grabbing some of the str-based paladin powers might work.

Destil

Explorer
I really like disruptive strike. No upgrades (or at least I didn't see any) at higher level. But it's still a level 3 power I'd consider holding onto until 30th. And such a cleric is the ideal PC to use it.:ranged:

Thanee

First Post
True, Disruptive Strike seems like a pretty awesome ability, both granting an extra attack and helping your ally.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads