D&D General Elves are to the Feywild as ______ are to the Shadowfell?

Reynard

Legend
I think it would depend on the cosmology you want to use. With the default D&D cosmology, I think shadar-kai elves are the closest match.

In Mystara, there isn't really a Shadowfell, or even a "plane of shadow" so to speak. The closest you would get is probably Limbo (the "Realm of the Dead", probably best described in Dragon Magazine #180) or the Land of Mists (from adventure module X2: Castle Amber). If your game uses this cosmology, you might consider using tieflings, dhampir, hexbloods, and The Reborn in addition to shadar-kai.

Which cosmology is your game using, @Guang ?
Dhamfir works well too.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Interesting idea - I'm aware of Kobold's underground kingdom of ghouls, but not how their ghouls might live among other peoples. Would they be neighborly enough to work? Do they have some kind of planar attachment or abilities?

I could imagine some "civilized" ghouls who trade for "food" with a city above them. And as to the planar connection isn't that where their undead qualities come from?
This requires a little more of a departure from established D&D cosmology/canon than the Shadar-Kai, but I like the idea quite a bit. Making Ghouls (or at least some Ghouls) more civilized gives them some fun applications. :)

Birthright Halflings

Halflings seem to be harmless, good-natured folk, but they harbor hidden secrets. Most people assume that the name halfling refers to their stature, but only a handful know the truth. Halflings were once creatures who could pass freely between Aebrynis and the Spirit World. In the early years of the Anuire Empire a darkness arose in the Spirit World (now called the Shadow World) and halflings made Aebrynis their permanent home.

Cerilian halflings stand about 3'6" tall and resemble small humans. They tend to be plump, and are fond of creature comforts. Halflings can pierce the barrier that separates Cerilia from the Shadow Land by concentrating. This allows them to detect evil, detect undead, or detect necromantic magic with a high degree of reliability. Exceptional halflings can develop this ability to allow them to enter and exit the shadow world in places where the barriers between worlds are thin. Halflings avoid revealing these abilities to people they don't trust.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Elves (and their various relations) can serve a Prime Material community as a natural bridge to the Feywild, both attracting otherplanar threats and having wisdom on how to deal with them. At least that's one way of looking at how a contingent of elves (or Eladrin, or even half-elves) living in an "elven quarter" might change a town.

Is there an ancestry (in any edition) that might naturally fall into a similar role when it comes to the Shadowfell? Vampires would seem a logical choice, as would Shadar-Kai, but neither is easily made part of a community (Welcome to Vampire town! Those of you with rare bloodtypes may want to apply this tincture of garlic before entering).
Help pls?
Nothing really fits the role rules as written so homebrew is likely what you are going to have to do if you want something that fits.

Remove ads