D&D General Elves are to the Feywild as ______ are to the Shadowfell?

I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but in my campaign setting I have Feywild and Shadowfell both the same realm of Faerie, along with an as-yet-unnamed third realm. ("Praxis"? I'm not sure yet.) The Fey plane is deeply intertwined with the Prime, meaning it's easy to move between the two without magic. In this setting, many elements of Faerie follow the rule of three.

There are three mortal humanoid races that have lived on Faerie for ages, but since they are mortal they are kind of happy to be able to live on the Prime Material plane.

"Elves" -- This race is associated with the Feywild. It consists of three sub races: High Elves (high elves), Iron Elves (dwarves), and Stone Elves (gnomes).

"Drow" -- This race is associated with the Shadowfell. It consists of three sub races: Drow, Duergar, and Sverfneblin. All drow are capable of limited shapechanging similar to Changelings, allowing themselves to appear as an Elf.

"Goblins" -- This race is associated with the third realm. It consists of three sub races: Goblin, Hobgoblin, and Bugbear.

The only races native to the Prime Material are Humans and Orcs. All other magical or supernatural creatures are from Faerie in one way or another. Other playable Faerie races exist, but they're all Fey in nature even if they have other types. Further, many true Fey are less inclined to travel to the Prime Material plane in spite of it's safety, as many are often all but immortal on the plane of Faerie (restoring themselves after a period of years) but they may be killed outright on the Prime Material.

Voadam

Legend
Dark Creepers are a prime plane underdark race with strong ties to shadow.

1641336196129.png

jgsugden

Legend
So you're looking for a creature found on the prime material plane that is influenced by the magics of the Shadowfell. That would be intelligent undead.

Vryloka, Damphir, etc... can also fit the spot.

However, not everything needs to be mirrored between the Shadowfell and Feywild. I see no reason to make a clear equivalent.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but in my campaign setting I have Feywild and Shadowfell both the same realm of Faerie, along with an as-yet-unnamed third realm. ("Praxis"? I'm not sure yet.) ...

"Goblins" -- This race is associated with the third realm. It consists of three sub races: Goblin, Hobgoblin, and Bugbear.

The only races native to the Prime Material are Humans and Orcs. All other magical or supernatural creatures are from Faerie in one way or another. Other playable Faerie races exist, but they're all Fey in nature even if they have other types. Further, many true Fey are less inclined to travel to the Prime Material plane in spite of it's safety, as many are often all but immortal on the plane of Faerie (restoring themselves after a period of years) but they may be killed outright on the Prime Material.
How about Malebolge?

How about Malebolge?

Ordinarily I'd say possibly, but I don't think I want something that ascribes moral or ethical behavior so heavily. I've also limited alignment to deities, outer planes, direct servants of deities, major powers, and then things like organizations, guilds, kingdoms, churches, etc.

A knight might be a member of an order, but the knight themselves, their superior, and even the order's captain would not be aligned. The idea being that free will precludes alignment, so only very specific things are aligned. Being in the presence of an aligned being, then, is pretty terrifying because... they have cosmic moral and ethical goals and limitations and obligations and duties. Mortals need to band together to create something with enough willpower to truly be aligned.

So, there will be deities and major Fey powers that have alignment, but otherwise humans, orcs, elves, drow, goblins, and even other fey, will have open-ended cultures, ethics, and morality determined by their choices and associations. People tend to think of mythological fey as Chaotic, but look at them closely. They have strict hierarchies and placement in it, they are concerned with rules and contracts and natural laws, etc. The fey are just as Lawful as they are Chaotic. Sure, some myths say those rules were imposed on them, but that's not universal.

I like Praxis because Goblins as a whole seem to be do-ers. Goblins are commonly artificers, hobgoblins practice warcraft, and bugbears... well, not every goblin has to follow the same path (Edit: I think I'll make them hunters). I haven't quite decided what they will be doing. Some of the subraces of Drow and Elves like crafting and creation, too. Imagining Praxis as a warren of caves in a steampunk techbase, or something like the world of The Labyrinth would be interesting. Praxis is ideas given form.

Last edited:

Remove ads