• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elysium

GSHamster

Adventurer
Anyone seen Elysium yet? How is it?

Also, how is the shaky cam? I had to leave the theatre when watching District 9 because I got so nauseated from the shaky cam. Don't really want that to happen again.

Joker

First Post
There's a thread below with a couple of reviews but that one has spoilers.

I absolutely loved it. There have been so many poor blockbuster movies these past few years. Marvel movies (excepting the Avengers), Micheal Bay movies, f****** Prometheus, Pacific Rim and so on, it was refreshing to see a movie like this. I loved all the details in the tech, the characters were great and performed very well, the action sequences are beautiful and so are the effects*.

I felt the story was well developed with good pacing, which is also very refreshing. While it followed the Formula, I was so immersed in the story and characters I didn't notice or care.

However, a lot of people felt the theme of haves and have nots was done in a hamfisted way or didn't like the way it was developed at all. Personally, I thought it was well done.

As for the shaky cam, I couldn't tell you if it was disturbing. I'm a big fan of the technique since I first saw it in Saving Private Ryan so now I don't notice it when it's used. But if I think hard most of the shots are filmed with a steadycam. So you get the fluid movement of a first person view without the jitteriness. There are a few scenes where it looked like the camera was attached to the subject being filmed but I think something was done in post to make it look rather smooth. It still turned out a bit shaky, though.

I'll put a more complete review in the spoiler thread below when I get some time.

And thank the gods it wasn't it 3D. Thank you, thank you very much.

* On the effects; You will rarely see such good CGI where you know it has to be CGI. The compositing of the images is superb.

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
Here is my unspoilered checklist of the film:

Cinematography - Great
Direction - Spot on
Acting - Terrific
Set Design, Art Direction, Special Effects and Production Value - Freaking fantastic
Action Sequences - Exciting
Not So Subtle Ethical and Political Stance - Matches my own
Story - Made absolutely no sense when tied in to the rest of the movie

Remove ads