WotBS EmeraldBeacon's Burning Sky (online game)

I recall when we published this adventure that I was a bit anxious about there being three NPCs who go along with the party, but I've seen enough examples of groups having great conversations like this to be glad they were there. I cannot take credit. Jacob Driscoll did a great job writing it.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I recall when we published this adventure that I was a bit anxious about there being three NPCs who go along with the party, but I've seen enough examples of groups having great conversations like this to be glad they were there. I cannot take credit. Jacob Driscoll did a great job writing it.
I remember reading a few accounts of the adventure being too linear and having too many NPCs, so I made sure to let the PCs choose which way to go at the fork in the road and generally only have Torrent help in the fights. The players consistently rated the fire forest as one of their favorite experiences throughout our campaign (of which EmeraldBeacon was a player).

emeraldbeacon

Adventurer
My group is a fairly large six players, and they're currently toting along three NPCs. Usually, only Torrent assists, while Crystin and Haddin hang back, only participating in RP moments (save in fights that have notable environmental hazards, like the Fire Walls when Indomitability was testing the party).

By the time that Chapter 2 is done, they might even be bringing a FOURTH NPC (Tiljann) along with them, which should make things quite interesting in the southern Dasseni swamplands...

Fuzzybear

Explorer
My group is a fairly large six players, and they're currently toting along three NPCs. Usually, only Torrent assists, while Crystin and Haddin hang back, only participating in RP moments (save in fights that have notable environmental hazards, like the Fire Walls when Indomitability was testing the party).

By the time that Chapter 2 is done, they might even be bringing a FOURTH NPC (Tiljann) along with them, which should make things quite interesting in the southern Dasseni swamplands...
Don't forget about Diashan. Bump that up to 5 NPCs to be safe.

For what it's worth, I sidelined the NPCs quite a bit in our game as I was worried about them overshadowing the players. They interacted with them some, but also ignored them some which worked out pretty well. We are now in Seaquen, so the NPCs are dispersing, though the prep time for me has increased greatly!

emeraldbeacon

Adventurer
Me: asking players to confirm backstory elements, and if they have any roleplay goals for the campaign
Drow Cleric player: wanting to find/confront twin sister who left his church years ago
Me: already planning for her to be one of the Droalesti who aided Rhuarc in the assassination of Coaltongue...
1640830723684.png

emeraldbeacon

Adventurer
So, after our party learned a bit about the Song of Forms, they got into a fairly lively (and sometimes heated) debate about what to do regarding Indomitability, and the Seela to the south, some saying that the devil Kazyk actually had some good points... Eventually reaching the Seela village, the group split off, with half of them following the elder Papuvin to his cave, to learn what he remembered about Anyariel's last battle, while the other half (conveniently, with BOTH of the party Trillith!) decided to see what the mysterious Vuhl had to say.

After each team received one half of a story, two team members from Deception's side decided that they needed to talk to Indomitability, and out of the blue, remembered the dream seeds that provided "visions of the flamebringer." And that's how we ended the episode, as two PCs fell unconscious, and three remained completely unaware, as dream elementals began to apparate WITHIN the Seela Village...!

Amusingly, when the two players were sharing experiences in the dream realm, I made sure to note that each of them saw themselves, and an odd beast in the dream realm, alongside the fiery form of Indomitability, and the silvery masses of Dream Elementals... a wolf, for the trillith-inhabited Wild Magic Barbarian, and a small dragon, for the Way of the Dragon Monk. They were perplexed at first, but soon realized that they were each seeing something in the other...

Last edited:

emeraldbeacon

Adventurer
Remind me, is there anyone in the party who'd be in the market for a big wooden sword?
I think either the Barbarian or Hexblade would find the Living Blade useful (likely transmuting it into a greataxe or polearm, respectively), while the Rogue or Ranger could conceivably turn it into a bow of some kind.

emeraldbeacon

Adventurer
In our latest challenge, the party was able to fend off a pair of Dream Elementals, even while one among their numbers had the boon of Indomitability REVOKED for confronting him in the dream realm, and refusing to follow his demands blindly. Saved rather quickly by one of the group's significant surplus of Spare the Heat potions, they eventually gathered to discuss a course of action... a conversation that Vuhl very easily eavesdropped upon, with a Stealth role of 30, before he offered the suggestion of approaching Guenvere, should they wish to gain Timbre's attention.

The group got to her grotto without much difficulty, then promptly began to dispute how to get the attention of Guenvere... and soon realized she was watching them, as she completely botched her stealth check with advantage, and fully half the party caught with their passive perception. An awkward conversation ensued, during which they managed to convince her that they wanted to help the wood (and subsequently the lake) to heal, at which point she allowed them into her private cave. Inside, they saw another shrine to Anyariel... not the grand, public display of honor that Timbre had erected, but a private one filled with Guenvere's own artistic representations of the elven hero. She provided the group with the lock of hair in shame, then asked them to leave her be.

Heading straight to Timbre's Glade, they bypassed her boar guardians, and held audience with the burning dryad. The story of the Living Blade was told, and Tiljann's shocked realization at the story, and how it tied to the line from the Song of Forms, helped the party finally put the pieces together. Now, they prepare to head back to the Seela Village, planning to spend the night recuperating, before finally putting an end to Indomitability's decades-long curse...

...little knowing that a certain Bearded Devil is watching and waiting for a chance to strike, now that they're at their weakest.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases