EN World Short Story Smackdown - FINAL: Berandor vs Piratecat - The Judgment Is In!

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Hi Piratecat, *waves* I sent you an e-mail last night, but I am informed that somehow I have "chosen" not to receive e-mails. I have no memory of choosing this, nor any idea how to change this choice, but if you want to e-mail me the answer to the link question (and I hope you do, just so I know how to do it in the future) my addy is: zehlers at aol dot com. Thanks bunches!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Thanks!

A couple of useful tags for Ceramic DM. All of these use brackets [] around them to work, instead of the {} I'm going to use for demonstration.

Black bar spoiler: {spoiler}blah blah blah{/spoiler}
blah blah blah

Sblock spoiler: {sblock=say something pithy}blah blah blah{/sblock}
Sblock spoiler: [sblock=say something pithy]blah blah blah[/sblock]

Photos are a tiny bit trickier. Here's what to do. Once you have your story written, go back and view each of your photos in a separate tab. Copy the url of a photo into your clipboard. Now go back to your story and find the bit of text you want to hyperlink to that photo. For example, Maxfieldjadenfox, for your story you might want to link the red-eyed tentacle photo to your line "...tangled in the coils of an enormous black serpent, craggy scaled, with one liquid red eye."

The code is {url=PASTED IN WEB ADDRESS}the hyperlinked text{url}.

So in this example, it would be "...tangled in the coils of an enormous black serpent, craggy scaled, {url=http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=34063}with one liquid red eye{/url}."

With proper brackets, this will look like "...tangled in the coils of an enormous black serpent, craggy scaled, with one liquid red eye."

Tah dah! Not too much work once you get the hang of it, and I think it helps some.

(Incidentally, mail settings are up at the top of the screen, under My Account --> edit profile --> edit options (on sidebar). Email me at kevin dot kulp at gmail if that's not working for you.)

Last edited:

Round 1 Match 7 -- Rodrigo Istalindir - "The End of the Line"

The End of the Line

Would I do things differently, if I knew then what I know now? I’d like to think so. I’d like to think I couldn’t deliberately set in motion the course of events that would result in the eventual extinction of the human race.

*​

Marie was the rarest of creatures. Her brain operated on an entirely different plane than the rest of us, yet she was warm and funny and not at all what one expected of the world’s foremost geneticist. Yet despite her genius, or perhaps because of it, she could be the most delightfully scatterbrained person I’d ever met. They used to say that Einstein was so preoccupied thinking great thoughts that he’d show up to work with two different colored socks. Sometimes, Marie didn’t even manage that.

The first time I saw her was in the library at the University. She was walking through the stacks, fingers running along the spines of the books. It was early in the morning and she was dressed in her nightclothes, bare feet padding along the carpeted floor.

I should have left her alone, but behind me I heard several students entering the hall, and I thought to spare her some embarrassment. I called out to her, and she turned, startled. (Picture 3). I mimed covering myself up. Shaken from her reverie, she glanced down and blushed.

I grabbed my coat and scurried behind the bookcases. I held it out to her, like a child feeding a skittish deer. She laughed, twirled, and stood there waiting for me to drape it about her. We left the library through the back stairwell.

*​

I was smitten from the start. I was a man of science, and if asked I’d have said that the entire notion of love at first sight was a romantic, hormone-fueled delusion, silly but harmless. We were definitely silly.

Our friends and colleagues just looked at us and shook their heads. I think it amused them to see two devoutly logical people acting like a couple of addled teenagers.

I can’t deny that our work suffered, at first, but after a few months the first blush wore off and we stopped being one of ‘those couples’, mooning about, holding hands everywhere we went. You know what I’m talking about – those couples no one can stand to be around for more than five minutes.

But the attraction and the love and respect didn’t fade. Not after six months, not ever.
The first time we worked together on a project was as heady as our first date. Our skills complemented each other perfectly. Her theoretical knowledge and uncanny knack for isolating gene sequences, combined with my groundbreaking work with viral delivery systems made us the hottest thing in the rapidly growing gene therapy community.

Our first breakthrough was a remarkably effective treatment for Parkinson’s. It wasn’t a complete cure, but it was a damned good start, and I had no doubt that it would buy time for those afflicted while someone else refined the process. I would have preferred to keep working at it – I’m a hopeless perfectionist – but Marie was already anxious to move on. So she did, and I followed.

Success followed success. Had we worked for a major pharmaceutical company, we’d have been millionaires several times over. But we were happier in an academic environment, where Marie had enough clout to ensure that the processes we developed were kept affordable for those that needed them.

Time Magazine called us ‘the greatest scientific couple since the Curies’.

*​

The first sign that something was amiss was on her 40th birthday. I’d arranged a surprise party, the kind of thing most of our peers would have laughed at, but they knew Marie almost as well as I, and they knew she’d love it.

The party was in full swing. Gifts were piled on the dining room table, music was playing a little too loud, and some of the grad students were already drunk enough to start dancing in the living room. Someone – I never did find out who – had paid Hisoka and Ozuru to dress up as ‘genes’. Hisoka was the ‘S’, and Ozuru the ‘N’ (an inside joke – Marie and I had recently published a paper on using variant of the N bacteriophage to alter the ‘S’ gene expression in hepatitis). Their revealing costumes were frightful, especially when they started dancing, but Marie laughed like a delighted child. (Picture 2)

When I tried to get everyone’s attention, I had to shout, but most heard me and gathered around the coffee table as I carried in the fiery cake. Someone started singing ‘Happy Birthday’ and the entire crowd joined in, more or less on key.

Marie was beaming from ear to ear. She picked up the knife and cut off a huge slice of cake. She extended it towards me, still holding the knife in one hand. As I reached for it, her arm spasmed, and the knife sliced deep into my hand.

I gasped in pain and clutched the injured appendage with my free hand, the forgotten cake trampled underfoot as the crowd erupted in chaos. Finally someone returned from the kitchen with a dishrag, and the dean of the medical school wrapped it tightly around the wound before leading me to his car for the trip to the emergency room.

Hours later, we returned, my hand heavily bandaged. My wife was mortified, and kept apologizing over and over. The repetition stopped mid-sentence when she opened the door to our bedroom. She let out a squeal of delight when she saw the puppy I’d gotten her for her birthday. In the confusion and haze from the painkillers, I’d forgotten about the little thing, but fortunately he’d just gone to sleep in his crate. One look at the radiant smile on Marie’s face and the accident was forgotten.

I think it was the last time I saw her completely happy.

*​

Within months, the tremors became more frequent and undeniable. The doctor’s were at a loss, until one of them ran a test for mHtt, and it came back positive. It was a one-in-a-million event, liking hitting the lottery in reverse. Huntington’s is almost unheard of where neither parent has the gene.

Marie threw herself into her work with abandon. In a strange way, we were lucky. There was probably no one in the world more likely to develop a treatment, and now there was no one more motivated to find it. Except, maybe, for me.

The progression of the disease is inexorable, but slow, and over the next few years she remained largely unaffected. She insisted that I I take over more of the delicate lab work; she was worried that she’d flinch at the wrong time and invalidate a test.

We hit dead end after dead end. Marie had never failed at anything before, and the realization that she might come up short at the most critical point in her life was devastating. She became increasingly driven, spending twenty hours a day at the lab. On those rare occasions when I managed to pull her away for a few hours of a normal life, I could tell she was with me only in body; her mind was elsewhere.

By her forty-fifth birthday, the disease had progressed to the point where she was doing almost no hands-on work, and her speech had started to deteriorate. She became a near-recluse, working through me, and never interacting with the other researchers and assistants except through email.

*​

The breakthrough, when it came, was so obvious in retrospect I almost felt guilty for not having seen it sooner. Previous efforts had been fruitless because in trying to reduce the polyQ glutamine chain, the treatment either went too far, eliminating it entirely, or snipped off a single repeat of the gene and then stopped and wouldn’t repeat.

One of our previous successes gave me a brilliant idea. Rather than using one of the modified viruses we typically worked with, I modified the hepatitis virus to serve as the delivery mechanism. I hoped it would follow its typical path, taking up residence in the liver and continuously act to keep the glutamine chains in check. HepB was nothing to laugh at, but compared to the alternative, I figured it might buy us the years needed for a complete cure.

There was one hitch.

FDA approval to even start clinical trials for such a risky protocol would take years, and might never be approved. The Huntington’s lobby was damned effective, but no one had ever tried to cure someone by intentionally infecting them with a contagious disease. Marie didn’t have years.

When she almost choked to death in her office because she couldn’t swallow the chocolate pudding that had become one of her few remaining joys, I began preparing. When I was cleaning out our bathroom and found the bottle of carefully hoarded pills, I acted.

*​

The reversal wasn’t dramatic. No Hollywood-style ‘go to bed sick and wake up cured’ nonsense. But over the course of a year, her life returned to normal. It wasn’t possible to hide her hard-won health even if we wanted to. The FDA was suspicious, but they couldn’t prove it was anything other than an accidental exposure in the lab. We paid the OSHA fine without complaint.

The clamor in the medical community couldn’t be ignored, though, and eventually the government caved to the pressure and fast-tracked clinical trials. A thousand of the most desperately sick patients were infected with the mutated hepatitis. Almost ninety percent showed noticeable improvement within the first three months.

Marie’s sparkling personality had returned with her health, and she was a hit on the morning news shows. The brilliant doctor who’d triumphed over a horrible disease like no other in history. The publicity was worth its weight in gold.

*​

We were on our way back from the airport after another appearance on ‘Good Morning, America’ when we got a call from the senior lab assistant. There was a note of panic in her voice, and she urged us to return to the lab as soon as possible. She met us at the door and hurried us to the room where the lab animals were kept. We were startled when she closed the door behind us and locked it.

The animals were kept in clean, larger than normal cages on the far wall. Marie had recognized the need for animal testing, but she had taken a personal interest in their care. The lab assistant pointed her towards the far wall, where the animals from the earliest tests were kept for continued observation.

With a gasp, Marie reached inside one of the cages and withdrew a mouse lemur named Marcy. The animal was horribly deformed – it looked like it had aged ten years overnight. The skin was wrinkled and most of the hair had fallen out, the eyes were rheumy and blind. She shivered uncontrollably. I went to get a needle to take a blood sample while Marie cradled the pathetic creature in her hand. (Picture 4)

Marcy died that morning. An initial post-mortem revealed no aberrant pathology; it appeared she had died of old age. This would have been unsurprising, except that Marcy was only three years old, and mouse lemurs in captivity had a life expectancy in excess of fifteen years. Other than the fact that she was dead, and the blood test showed the presence of our modified hepatitis virus, she was completely normal.

The true horror of what had happened didn’t become apparent until a month later, when we returned home after another marathon session at the facility. Marie went upstairs to fetch Muttley for a walk, and found her beloved dog dead, his muzzle grey with age.

The hepatitis virus I’d used as the vector for the gene therapy had mutated. There had been strict warnings to prospective patients because hepatitis B could be transmitted through bodily fluids, but most considered the risk acceptable given the alternative. But casual transmission was unheard of.

Normally, the virus was only present in blood and semen, and to a lesser extent in saliva. And transmission only took place when there was contact with a mucous membrane or open wound. The mutated version, however, was present in overwhelming quantities in perspiration, and could even be transmitted via airborne particles after a cough or sneeze.

And it carried the Huntington’s genes along with it.

There was no predictor for the unset of what we referred to as ‘Huntington’s B’ and what the press dubbed ‘Methuselah Syndrome’. In some, it triggered within weeks of infection, while a rare few, including Marie, showed no signs of the disease even years after infection.

*​

The outcry was unprecedented. Fortunately, the FDA bore the brunt of the blame; Marie’s media appearances had endeared her to the public. They were more willing to focus their ire on careless bureaucrats and politicians than a woman who’d been desperate to save her own life and others.

Still, there was enough anger to go around. The University rallied around us, shielding us from the protestors and hiring guards in response to the numerous death threats. No expense was spared, no resource denied. We had the best and brightest working to find a way to halt the epidemic even as it killed by the tens of thousands.

Society was on the brink of total collapse before we found a possible avenue of attack. In our early research, we’d identified a secretion from a rare Pacific eel that seemed to have a retarding effect on the progression of Huntington’s. I’d discarded it in favor of more likely approaches as it was highly unlikely we’d have found a way to modify the gene to work within the human body.

Now, though, we were grasping at straws. Even a partial treatment that bought us some time was worth pursuing, and our techniques had improved in the intervening years. And at least in the Petri dish, it seemed to be working. I pulled out all the old research and asked the cold-storage facility to send over the remaining gene lines from the eel. They called back an hour later and told me they’d lost that storage locker in an electrical fire three years ago.

*​

The scramble to find a replacement for the destroyed material proved fruitless, until at long last we found a rich ichthyophile in Russia. He indicated that he’d part with what appeared to be the last surviving specimen for an unreasonable amount of money. We didn’t hesitate.
Thirteen hours later, a courier arrived with a padded cooler. We rushed it to the animal section, where we’d painstaking prepared an aquarium to house our serpentine savior. We opened the sealed container and instead of a water-filled bladder containing a jet-lagged eel, we found a single aluminum tin on dry ice.

Numb with shock, we opened the tin to see the remains of our last, best hope. (Picture 1) We picked it apart cell by cell, but the brining process the Russian had used made it impossible to extract anything useful from the remains. Turns out there was a mixup in the translation, and the Russian wasn’t a fish collector, he was a wealthy gastronome with a taste for endangered species.

*​

I found Marie this morning, slumped over her desk. Her beautiful sable hair had gone gray overnight. In her hand was a picture I’d taken the night of her birthday party. It showed her laughing and smiling, her new puppy cuddled against her chest.

I smiled as I thought about our life together , as I rummaged through the bathroom cabinets until I found what I was looking for. I swallowed the whole bottle, and then went back downstairs, I carried Marie to the sofa and sat down with my arms around her.
Despite the suffering, I wouldn’t have traded those extra years with Marie for anything.

Would I do things differently, if I knew then what I know now? I’d like to think so.

But God help me, I don’t know that I would.

Thorod Ashstaff

First Post
Match 2: Thorod vs. Eeralai - Thorod's Entry

To Weep In a Dark Time

by Thorod Ashstaff

I'd tell you my name, if only I could remember what it was. Call me Eve. No, strike that, that's not right.
Jake—dear Jake—called me Eve on that first day. I'd been asleep for so long. How many days, how many centuries? But I had been awoken; I had been called to come forth. It is so hard to remember things when you've been asleep for so long. And sometimes it is so hard to want to.
"I have to call you something," he'd said, "just because you've got amnesia, or you're in shock, or whatever, I'm not just going to call you Jane Doe like they do on TV. I'm going to call you Eve, because you looked so beautiful when I found you climbing out of that canyon, so amazing, like you were the first woman I'd ever seen."
His language was new to me, though a few of the words sounded like ones I'd heard before, only changed. I had been asleep for a very long time. I understood him of course, and could answer his questions soon enough; tongues are easy to learn when you can reach in and grab each word's thought. Soon enough my own thoughts were in his language, English.
He'd called me beautiful, and I looked down and realized that I was. He'd given me a flannel shirt from his pack, one big enough to cover me like a robe, because he was worried for my modesty, or his own. It was a red plaid, and it clashed with my hair, which was auburn again, and long. My body, this body, was one of youth, young and perfect and fresh, and my eyes again shone with the deep blue of the evening sky. Jake looked at my face and I could see his hunger, and the beginnings of his love, and I was troubled.
We sat on the edge of the little canyon, and he told me how he'd go to the police when we'd hiked back to town, just a two-hour walk back to his car and then a one-hour drive. We'd check for missing persons reports, and find out who I was. He called this place England, but that's not what it was called when I'd gone to sleep, when I'd been pulled deep, deep into the earth by the long roots. But Jake was wrong. It wasn't amnesia, not like he thought anyway, and I didn't need to go to any enforcers, nor would there be any records. But I didn't tell him that, he would not have understood. I didn't even understand, not completely, not yet. I knew so little, this soon after waking, but I knew I had to find the ones who had called me.
"No," I'd said, "please. Could we just go someplace quiet, where I can collect my thoughts. I feel like deep fog, and I'm strangely tired, and hungry. We can go to the police tomorrow."
So we walked out of the woods, along a well-used trail, under a grey sky that was threatening rain. I would have liked the rain, cold and fresh on my young body, but I sensed it would worry Jake, with me wearing only his big flannel shirt, so I held it off. We walked, and he asked me questions I couldn't answer, and he told me tales of his life: his flat in the city called Cardiff, his job, which he hated, and his dreams, which he believed in. And I saw the goodness in his heart, and I began to love him in return, though I knew that was a mistake, and at some point on the trail his hand reached out, and I took it in mine, and we walked together.
At the end of the trail was a road, not of stone or of packed turf but of some hard black tar, which had a foul smell. We got in his machine, which he called an SUV, and when he brought the beast to life it smelled like poison, and I recognized it as the taste in the air that had so confused me. He was poisoning the world's air just to travel from town to town, they all were, and yet there was no hatred of the world in his heart. I was sad, and quiet, on the drive back to town. I had been called from sleep in a strange time, a time of poison and paradox, a time that felt like endings. Jake sensed my sadness, though not its cause, and he was wise enough to drive to town in silence.
We drove to his flat, his home, and he offered me strange meats, but they smelled like poisons too, different poisons, but still foul, and I could not touch them. But he had bread, which smelled wonderful, and creamy butter which he kept magically cold, and good honey, and wine. He built a fire in his small brick fireplace, and we sat by the fire and I ate the good food and drank the heady wine, and Jake put the strange meats away without a word and ate bread and honey with me, because that's who he was. And as the windows grew dark with dusk and the fire burned low, I took off the big flannel shirt, and let my long auburn hair fall softly against my breasts, and Jake took off his clothes as well, with clumsy, shy fingers, and I helped him.
"You are so beautiful," he said, "and I feel so unworthy, which is a new feeling for me, and so old."
I laughed, for the first time in a very long while. This child, this mortal, this too-brief spark of goodness was telling me he felt old, while his touch was making me feel so young. I laughed, and I ran my fingers through the fine, soft hair of his chest, and pulled him down to the floor, and we made love by the dying embers of the fire, and he fell asleep in my arms.
"Dear Jake," I whispered, "Dearheart." And then I killed him.

I wept for a long time. Wept hard, for his love and his spark, for his beauty and the feel of his soft hair between my fingers, wept in rage against the poisons I'd sensed lying deep in his lungs when we made love. While I wept I let the rain finally come, and it spattered against the windows like the footfalls of mourners. I had awoken in a dark time, a time where there were poisons in the air, where mortals with good hearts breathed the poisons of their own creation until their very lungs became black. Jake's body grew cold and stiff as I wept, and the embers of the fire at last went out, and I, I who could not feel cold, shuddered.
I had given him such a gift, to touch that which so few mortals were allowed to touch. And I had given him another gift when I had killed him, when I had protected him from the long, ugly, painful death that his own lungs were about to bring him. I sat in the darkness, with my hand lying in the soft hairs on his cold chest, and I began to remember who I had been. And then I wept some more.
At last, when the windows were once again growing light, I got up. It was time. Death, for these mortals, can come as a gift, or as a judgment. It was time for judgment. I ate the last of the bread and honey, and drank the last of the wine, and found clothes in Jake's closet that would do, though they did not fit. I reached out with my mind, seeking for the ones who had called me, and soon enough I found them, or at least knew in which direction I had to go. It was not far, a few leagues at most, and I walked quickly, avoiding as much as I could the strange metal beasts with their poisonous breath. Sometimes I would reach out again with my mind as I walked, but the ones I sought were not moving, they were gathered together and my way was sure.
There was a stone archway, deep in the center of this city Jake had called Cardiff, with a locked metal gate within the arch. I touched the lock, and opened the gate, and I walked through the archway already knowing that those who had called me were on the other side. It was an open courtyard, and in the center of the courtyard they stood in a circle, wearing white robes and white cowls, hands clasped. Such fools. They were doing it again, and that was something I could not allow.
They were chanting, but they stopped when one of them spotted me and called out. The circle broke, and I walked through, walked straight to the old man who wore a red sash over his white robe.
"I'm sorry," he said, "but this is a private ceremony. The gate was supposed to be locked."
"I am come," I said.
The old man looked into my eyes, and paused, and for a moment I thought he knew who I was, but when he spoke again I knew he didn't, though he may have begun to guess.
"Are you interested in neo-paganism?" he asked. "We're druids, and we come here once a week to reflect on nature. Today we're doing a new chant, only the second time we've done it. I found it in the old archives at the Trevithik library, I'm the librarian there."
"You are not druids," I said, suddenly angry, "you are fools! Fools and amateurs who somehow stumbled on the right words at the wrong time, that's all."
The old man stepped back, his eyes wide. He'd at last seen something in my eyes, and he was beginning to understand.
"You're..." he said, but he stopped.
My anger cooled, gone as quickly as it had come. The old man had a good soul, and all of them, all these confused mortals standing in a circle around me, they had their hearts in the right place at least. I realized now they must have had, or the words wouldn't have worked, even the right words. They were closing in, wanting to defend the old librarian from this angry stranger who had come into their midst. So I put them all to sleep, and they fell to the grey stones of the courtyard in a tangle of white robes. Then, one by one, I laid them out flat, and I laid the palm of my hand on their foreheads, and I made them forget. I made them forget me, and I made them forget the new chant. But I let them remember who they were, and what they believed in; there was no evil here.
Lastly I came to the old man, and kneeling beside him I lifted him up to a sitting position, and I let him wake up. He looked around at his friends, and then at me.
"What happened?" he said. "Did you do that? Are they dead?"
"No, they are not dead, though I came here to kill them, for the sake of my sisters. I cannot allow them, allow you, to do this, it is not the right time. Your friends sleep, and they have already forgotten me."
"The chant..."
"Yes, the chant. You must bring me the chant you found. And any copies that have been made." I was not angry, but I put Command in my voice, and he nodded.
"I've got it right here," he said. He had a backpack lying against the wall of the courtyard, and from it he took an old, tattered book and a few pieces of white paper with the words of the chant typed out on them. "Here, this is the book I found it in, it wasn't even in the catalogs, just an old history book stuck in the archives. These are the copies I made for our group." I looked at him, and he understood. "They're the only ones, honest, and the book might be the only one left too, at least I couldn't find any record of it when I went online."
I took the book, and opened it to the page the old man had marked with a red ribbon. The text was copied from a broken stone monolith, in an old tongue, and then translated into English. There was a line drawing of the monolith, though the author of the book was vague about its location. I touched my fingertips softly to the line drawing, and I knew where the old stone was, knew where I had to go next. I put the typed pages into the book and shut the musty covers, then I held the book in my hands and squeezed until there was nothing but dust, grey dust which swirled out of my hands and disappeared over the walls of the courtyard. The old man did not look surprised, and I gazed at him with new respect. He was, perhaps, not as much of a fool as I had thought.
"Now you must sleep again," I said softly, "and dream. You will not remember me."
"Please," he said, "let me remember you. You're so beautiful, and your eyes are so blue, there is light in them." There was something in his look, not quite love but close, it reminded me of Jake.
"Make me forget the chant," he said, "but not you. I will keep the memory to myself, always."
"It will cause you pain."
"I'm an old man, I've lost friends and lovers both, and I've lost my companion of forty years. I can handle the pain of a beautiful memory. Please."
"So be it," I said. "But the chant..."
"I understand. The chant will be gone. I promise not to even look for it."
"You will not even remember there was anything to look for." He looked into my eyes, and then he was asleep, and I lowered him gently to the grey stone, and laid my hand on his forehead.

I found the stone the next day, at dusk, and sent its dust to the wind to follow the dust of the book. Then I began the most important search of all, the search for a place to rest. Now it is the deep quiet before dawn, and I can feel that I am very close. Again I am clad only in sky, as I began. I walk west along a road of packed dirt, in the midst of a forest of virgin wood, and the full moon leads me on. Soon I will turn off the road, perhaps just ahead, and I will find a place where I can once again sleep. A place where the roots will push me deep, deep into the earth, until the time is right. I wish that I, too, could forget, like those sleeping mortals in their white robes, but I cannot. I take heart from the old man's words, and turn into the wood, and find the place, and as I lie down on the soft pine needles and close my eyes, I let myself remember the feel of Jake's soft hair beneath my fingers, and accept the pain.

Thorod Ashstaff

First Post
Paid up?

maxfieldjadenfox said:
I am informed that somehow I have "chosen" not to receive e-mails.

This is often ENWORLD's subtle way of saying "Hey, it's a great site, but it needs the occasional influx of cash." i.e., If you're not paid up on the (reasonable) annual dues, you can't receive or send private emails. If you ARE paid up, then you need to change your settings under 'profile.' I think.

If some administrator type like PC has a different idea, feel free to correct me.

Thorod Ashstaff

First Post
I have noticed that Enworld's formatting doesn't indent paragraphs, and that entries like Rodrigo's (with paragraph line breaks) are easier to read than mine. Sorry.

I will not edit the post (as promised), but if I happen to defeat my honorable opponent Eeralai then I will use such breaks in Round Two.

And thanks, PirateCat, for the picture instructions. I knew how once, but that was long, long ago in a thread far, far away...

Also, I've found that you can copy the pictures' URL (with the brackets and such) straight into an MSWord document, and that when you copy that into a post it works fine. In case that helps anyone.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Just sent my comments and judgment for Round 7 (Rodrigo Istalindir vs. tadk) off to Herremann. Good luck to both of you.

Remove ads