EN World Short Story Smackdown - FINAL: Berandor vs Piratecat - The Judgment Is In!

Just a quick note to all our competitors - thank you very much for your stories and congratulations on both the quality and timeliness of your submissions. Out of sixteen competitors, everyone got something in with only one being late. This is a great effort from all concerned!

Now it is up to the judges to get our judgments out as quickly as possible - I'd like to try and get all judgments posted by Wednesday night (Sydney time) if not sooner. I know one of the judges has had a small hiccup in their schedule but all should still be cool.

As for round two, could Rodrigo and Mythago please post suitable times for their match? I'm looking at starting round two matches this Thursday (9:00am Sydney time), Friday and possibly Saturday. Which out of these works best for you - or do you prefer a later (or even earlier I suppose) start?

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

I'm going out of town for the long weekend, so I'd prefer pictures either go up tomorrow so I can finish before I go, or a week from tomorrow so I can finish when I get back.

Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I'm going out of town for the long weekend, so I'd prefer pictures either go up tomorrow so I can finish before I go, or a week from tomorrow so I can finish when I get back.
Mythago, which one of these works best for you? I'm happy to go either way.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Eeralai

First Post
Comments on the rest of the stories

[sblock] Just finished reading all of the stories and I really enjoyed myself. What a great first round! I am glad I am not a judge :) [/sblock]

Eeralai

First Post
Ycore Rixle said:
[sblock] Thanks! I agree about the editing. I've been accused of writing too tersely in the past, though, so I wanted to err on the side of giving good weight. But yeah, editing would be good.

I enjoyed "Jenna" too. I liked the Holly Golightly modern/ancient juxtapositions that were a common theme, and they highlighted how sex is both modern and ancient. I thought there could have been a few more plot points in the middle, but that's a good sort of criticism in that it implies I'd like to spend more time with the characters and the world. Good stuff.

[/sblock]

[sblock] Hey, thanks! Yeah, I was talking with my husband at length about the contest and I think the lack of plot points and the lack of developing more interaction between the angel and Jenna will be my doom. I wonder how this contest would go if we could take three days off of work/school/kids to write. If all the stories would be much more flushed out or if we would be going crazy until the last hour trying to come up with something and the story would still be rushed? I guess we'll never know :) [/sblock]

arwink

Clockwork Golem
That will probably leave me as the delay. Seems it was a bad weekend to be a Ceramic DM judge (I was in a minor car accident; I'm fine, my car is not quite so lucky, and the insurance companies have eaten my free time today). I've sent off a judgement for Piratecat vs. Orchid Blossom, but I won't get a chance to read/judge the other rounds until tomorrow.

Dlsharrock

First Post
Stomach flu, ISP deaths and car crashes?? Is somebody 'upstairs' trying to tell us something? Are we witnessing the birth of the curse of Ceramic DM?

I had my in-laws over for tea on Friday and I consider that a pretty awful situation, and like any right-thinking human being I blame Ceramic DM.
Yes, these are evil times.

I jest, but it's good to hear you're not hurt Arwink. Accidents are a royal pain in the rump but walking away from them unscathed is only ever a good thing!

Remove ads