EN World Short Story Smackdown - FINAL: Berandor vs Piratecat - The Judgment Is In!

awayfarer

First Post
Any time after this Friday is good for me for the next round. I've got one last final exam on that day.

Been busy in the mean time. I got around to reading Berandor's story. Really liked the premise. Still haven't read the others but I'd like to.

Bah. Well, off to hit the books, handouts, various notes, text files, word documents and Wikipedia for now.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Any idea when I'll be up next? Posting pictures for me next Monday night would be ideal, but I have some flexibility. Just let me know.

And who is my esteemed opponent?

Gulla

Adventurer
Hey, I stole some time and started reading. Comments for Tadk and Rodrigo.
(In Sblock, since I'm only on page 9 and better safe than sorry)

[sblock]"Report on the Viability of", TadK
A nice report, but it lacks much of the dreamlike images and flow of some of your earlier efforts. I like the idea, but cannot find anything to get emotionally attached to. It lacks some life, I think. Which makes it a very good scientific report, but not so interresting reading. So maybe a successful experiment and well done style excercise, but it is just plain good to me. Not exciting.

"The End of the Line", Rodrigo Istalindir
Wow. That is for me the best one so far. The eternal hunt for a cure for anything treathenig our beloved ones. And it almost succeded. With a terrible price. It's an old plot, but very well done. (And for once the geniouses are nice, social and loveable instead of weird). Nice painting of the two main characters, a believeable (newr future?) world and good pacing. I really like this one.[/sblock]

I have read all up till Rodrigo's but will try to keep my comments for each match together. If anyone thinks I should rather post as soon as I get the comments written, I will do so.

Håkon
Theoretically with lots of free time tomorrow.

Piratecat said:
Any idea when I'll be up next? Posting pictures for me next Monday night would be ideal, but I have some flexibility. Just let me know.

And who is my esteemed opponent?
Hello PC,
Written down that you would also like the Tuesday morning (Sydney time) start. I'm still waiting on a judgment or two and then you shall find out your esteemed opponent... not wanting to give anything away mind you.

Eeralai VS. Winner Match 1 - FickleGM/Dlsharrock
I'm also conscious of the fact that Eeralai may have some issues later in the month regarding time away. As such, if Dlsharrock and FickleGM (and Eeralai) can be on notice that Match 9 (Eeralai vs. Match 1 Winner) will be starting sooner rather than later (possibly within 24 hours of this very post), I'd appreciate it. If you guys could just add a post saying if that is OK, and that you are ready and waiting eagerly for your judgment.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

FickleGM

Explorer
Herremann the Wise said:
Hello PC,
Written down that you would also like the Tuesday morning (Sydney time) start. I'm still waiting on a judgment or two and then you shall find out your esteemed opponent... not wanting to give anything away mind you.

Eeralai VS. Winner Match 1 - FickleGM/Dlsharrock
I'm also conscious of the fact that Eeralai may have some issues later in the month regarding time away. As such, if Dlsharrock and FickleGM (and Eeralai) can be on notice that Match 9 (Eeralai vs. Match 1 Winner) will be starting sooner rather than later (possibly within 24 hours of this very post), I'd appreciate it. If you guys could just add a post saying if that is OK, and that you are ready and waiting eagerly for your judgment.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise
Okilee Dokilee, Smokilee! :)

Round One / Disharrock vs. Fickle DM

ARWINK’S JUDGMENT

Disharrock / Untitled
As usual, I’ve got a lot of respect for people who try and write a story using a non-standard format, even if the attempt doesn’t quite come together. This largely barrels forward on the strength of the voice and the layering of image-after-image and it mostly gets away with it. Had it not been for the sudden introduction of a narrative hook (Take me, for example. I thought I had a pretty good life.) in the middle of the story I probably would have just surfed the wave of imagery and enjoyed myself. Unfortunately, once Disharrock gave me that hook and a story to latch onto, the story just felt unbalanced. The first half is a layering of images, the second half is a story, and both halves needed a more even distribution.
In terms of the picture use, I found the first image to be something of a disappointment since it was a relatively easy use of a fantastic picture in a piece that was willing to throw itself on the sword of surreal after-life imagery to fit the last two images in.
And cause I’m a stickler for such things, I really wanted this to have a title :)

FickleDM / The LARP that Wasn’t
This story had a couple of laughs, but I think the complexity of maintaining two narratives (Johnson in the present, Bob in the past) means that both get short shrift in the end. Johnson feels too much of a device for me; he’s skeptical at the beginning, passively reading the dairy, then switches to a man of action who believes in what’s happening the moment we’ve had the background set-up complete. The real interesting character of the story is Bob, and not just because he’s a gamer , since he’s the one who actually acts and changes as the story progresses. Even the eventual victory is his, since Johnson proves to be pretty ineffectual when the goddess has actually broken free.
Judgment: This is something of an awkward round to judge; both the stories had strengths and weaknesses, and neither really leapt out at me in terms of their picture use. Both tried something interesting with their structure, though neither really succeeded on pulling it off in my eyes. I think I’m going to give the round to Disharrock, but it’s a close thing in my eyes.

THE JUDGMENT OF HERREMANN THE WISE

This match was a tough one for me to judge as the entries were at opposite ends of the expected spectrum. FickleGM has done well, piecing the images together into an amusing tale of Gencon gone bizarrely wrong. Dlsharrock has produced a spectacular rant from the grave/afterlife that unfortunately only pays a cursory glance to the images provided. How to split the two?

FickleGM’s stuttered use of the journal worked well for me in propelling the mystery forward. While I enjoyed the story well enough, it was not at what I would call the premium end of “Wow”. It was however well rounded enough in that it concluded with enough space to keep the pacing even throughout. However, I could not help feeling that there should have been a little more to it, be it in more consistent characterisation, or ramping up the tension. Johnson really was flatly presented and so his demise was little more than a speed bump rather than the dramatic loss of a major character. Bob’s sacrifice was over before it really began – although if you are going to die and take the bad guy with you, "FALL IN LAVA AND DIE. NO SAVE, B1TCH!" has to be considered the ultimate in style! This was a fine effort but there are most probably a few things for you to work on.

Dlsharrock has produced a truly engaging piece of writing that really hit the mark for me. It was an impassioned and enthralling piece, well composed and delivered and great to read. However Dlsharrock has played thin with the images with only the sand-face and Nintendo boy carrying any metaphorical weight. It is a real shame to say it but in terms of picture-use, I felt as if the images provided little to no inspiration for the direction of the piece. The “Austrian Villa” and the “magic sparking from our fingertips” pictures could have been of almost anything and just as casually folded into the mix. It is one thing to have the story or theme dominate the images provided, it is another to have it trample over the top of them.

Judgment: Whilst Dlsharrock has provided the superior writing performance for this match, I am going to have to award my judgment to FickleGM for giving the pictures suitable recognition with a good story. It is a very fine line but most unfortunately on this occasion, I think Dlsharrock’s brilliant submission has tiptoed over it with a bulldozer.

MALDUR’S JUDGMENT

Funny fickle, Funny. Lava no save, almost had me spewing my coffee out of my nose. But Dlsharrock pulled a rabbit out of his hat, that was pretty impressive.

Judgement: Dlsharrock

FINAL JUDGMENT

Dlsharrock wins this match with a 2-1 advantage over FickleGM and advances into a round two matchup with Eeralai. Well done though to both of our competitors.

Last edited:

FickleGM

Explorer
Congratulations, Dlsharrock. Your story deserved the victory. While it may not have been my style of story, I could felt it was a stronger entry than my story. Good luck from here on out.

I may have went too far with inside jokes (or not-so-inside) and such, but I was in a real giddy mood when I wrote it. Once again, I find that I rush my stuff (I believe that all my CDM entries have had some advice to the effect of expanding more on my thoughts and not rushing so much). I am a very impatient person and it shows in my writing. With practice, I hope to eventually improve.

I'll also say that I have a hard time writing anything deep or meaningful (I like books and movies with thin plots, too). It isn't my style and at times seeing other people's deep and/or meaningful stuff is quite intimidating.

Finally, while I can see the shortcomings of my story, I still had a lot of fun writing it (it was my most fun story to date) and if I will be competing in the future. :)

Now, I get to sit back and read everyone else's stories.

Match Six / Ycore Rixle vs. Rangerwickett

ARWINK’S JUDGMENT

Ycore Rixle / The Scooter Preacher’s Daughter

Thus far, Ycore has put together my favourite opening paragraph of the competition. Such a mundane moment, but the phrasing and the choice of details tell us that the conflict is coming and provides us subtle detail about the character. And the rest of the story carries with the trend – tight plotting, great choices when it comes to the description, and a series of engaging characters that layered conflicts that slowly twine together. One of my favourite moments was the start of section two, when we’re told that “Home was a trinary star system in a galaxy of misery” and the grandeur of that metaphor is gradually winnowed down to something more mundane and unhappy (much like Theresa’s potential at this point).
Despite the strength of the story, I have to admit that I don’t think the title compliments it. It’s a good title, but there’s not enough made of Mama as the Scooter Preacher to really give it resonance.

Rangerwickett / The Contest of Harmony and Invention

Rangerwickett gives us a very focused and polished story, which is always a bonus in Ceramic DM, but the overall effect still feels a little flat for me. The story handles the external conflict of the storm and the demon well, but I couldn’t get a sense of the internal struggle that Jordan faces and overcomes. Without that internal struggle in place, most of Jordan’s choice are being robbed of their importance and the climax seems like something of a false high because, realistically, once Jordan accepts that there is such a thing as demons and all he has to do is play violin to save his home, why wouldn’t he? It’s something of a non-choice, although it has the illusion of choice there. If I had had a greater sense that, say, he didn’t quite understand his relationship with his home city, or he had turned against his mother’s beliefs and refused to accept there was such a thing as a demon, then I think the choice to believe and play would have had a greater resonance and become a true climactic moment that would elevate the story and change our protagonist at a fundamental level.

Judgment

Both of these stories are strong work, quite possibly the strongest we’ve had in the first round to my eyes, but I’m going to give this round to Ycore Rixle. While the Scooter Preacher’s Daughter wasn’t as polished as Rangerwickett’s tale, I felt more hooked into the characters Ycore presented us with and that his picture-use was a touch stronger. That said, I think Rangerwickett has a brilliant foundation for building a highly-effective story there, albeit one that needs a solid redraft without the looming time-crunch of ceramic DM to bring it to the fore.

THE JUDGMENT OF HERREMANN THE WISE

This was one of those sets of pictures that went in several opposing directions – a real traditional Ceramic DM to be sure. It was going to be tough to tame them into a coherent story, but I think both of our competitors did a great job.

Ycore Rixle has spun a tale of a young geeky, loser-in-love, mother-dominated mycologist that while totally and utterly bizarre, really gelled for me (pardon the pun please). I think full marks for writing and style here with the slowly built tension well crafted – you had me for the whole four-and-a-half thousand word ride. I have to say that I liked the space and room you gave the story, allowing the tale to gently unfold. Strictly speaking, your picture use was only OK rather than great with both the magic candle and the spiralling foliage images being little more than visual waypoints. I think if you advance further, in this competition, I’d like to see a slightly more solid use of the images provided – although admittedly, these ones were pretty tough. Your use of additional resources may be frowned upon by some, but I thought this a nice touch that added to the overall experience. Congratulations on a story that will stick in my head for quite a while...fungus... who would have thought.

Rangerwickett has done a lot of things very well in his story but there is something nagging in the back of my head about it. Whilst the storm was raging (excellent description!), and guns were a-firing and a strange young woman was mysteriously appearing, I never felt that our hero Jordan was in any true life-threatening danger. I don’t know if it was the images that failed to inspire enough inherent tension or if whenever there was some element of conflict in the story it was resolved just a little too quickly/easily? I think this is a shame because the story was excellently conceived, brilliantly written (Rangerwickett has a real knack for placing words exactly where they should go) and the images were well covered.

This has been a really tough match for me to split. Whilst Rangerwickett has ticks in so many boxes, I think I’ll go with Ycore for this match with a story that I enjoyed just a tad more. If possible, I would go for a draw and flag both competitors through.

MALDUR’S JUDGMENT

Secret mushroom experiments, what the heck? it is so silly, it became hilarious.

Floods, bayou, mysterious happenings. Although sometime a little too descriptive.

Judgement: Rangerwickett

FINAL JUDGMENT
Ycore Rixle has the most coffee beans at the end of the judging and scrapes through in perhaps the most hotly contested match of round one. Very well done to both competitors for crafting such fantastic stories.

BSF

Explorer
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Wait, Thorod's from New Mexico too?

Sending in one of the Cabal undercover....very sneaky. But you shouldn't have blown his cover.

Absolutely! I'd recruit more if I felt it necessary. ;) We have had a lot of NM folks over the years.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
FickleGM said:
I'll also say that I have a hard time writing anything deep or meaningful (I like books and movies with thin plots, too). It isn't my style and at times seeing other people's deep and/or meaningful stuff is quite intimidating.

Deep and meaningful is over-rated. All other things being equal, I'd happily read the story of a writer whose having fun with their work over anything else :)

Remove ads