[EN5ider#55] Epic Threats: Goblinoids and Orcs

New for EN5ider patrons! In the second in our Epic Threats series, James Introcaso brings us a range of goblinoids and orcs designed to challenge high level adventurers. Meet the brutish Bugbear Savage (CR 18), the depraved Goblin Creeper (CR 16), the battle-hardened Hobgoblin Monarch (CR 14), the devoted Orc Godspeaker (CR 14), and the mighty Orog Devastator (CR 20). Illustrated by Jen Tracy.

New for EN5ider patrons! In the second in our Epic Threats series, James Introcaso brings us a range of goblinoids and orcs designed to challenge high level adventurers. Meet the brutish Bugbear Savage (CR 18), the depraved Goblin Creeper (CR 16), the battle-hardened Hobgoblin Monarch (CR 14), the devoted Orc Godspeaker (CR 14), and the mighty Orog Devastator (CR 20). Illustrated by Jen Tracy.

goblinoids.jpg

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
There is an error in the orc godspeaker's damage calculation. 1d6+6+1d12 doesn't average to 11. Also its line for skills is formatted oddly.

Mephista

Adventurer
Orcs and goblins basically follow the rules for barbarians, clerics, and rogues as it is. Just stat out actual clerics, barbarians, and rogues, paint them orc/goblin, and run them? I guess I don't see the point when monsters are just PCs with a different coat on them. Its not uncommon to see monsters with the equivalent of the Parry feat on them either.

Are they fully fleshed out, with personalities and story hooks? Or little more than battle tactics and stat blocks?

Jimbro

Explorer
Orcs and goblins basically follow the rules for barbarians, clerics, and rogues as it is. Just stat out actual clerics, barbarians, and rogues, paint them orc/goblin, and run them? I guess I don't see the point when monsters are just PCs with a different coat on them. Its not uncommon to see monsters with the equivalent of the Parry feat on them either.

Are they fully fleshed out, with personalities and story hooks? Or little more than battle tactics and stat blocks?

Thanks for this feedback. I understand your criticism. It's always good to have constructive feedback and I appreciate what you're saying.

The idea behind the article is actually to provide the stat blocks for high CR monsters since there aren't as many at the moment for 5e. NPC personalities and story hooks are very easy to come by in books and PDFs already owned and for free online, especially since these story elements are system neutral. That said, I would have loved to write some great hooks and story for each, but a word count only goes so far. It didn't seem cool to say, "Hey, I've identified what I see as a problem - not enough high level monsters," and then only provide 2 new monsters with loads of backstory most GMs would change to fit their campaigns. It seemed most GMs would get the maximum out of the words by using for stat blocks, but if that isn't the case that's good to know. I want to write the things people want to read. I don't want to speak for the EN5ider staff, but based on how they ask for and respond to feedback, I'm thinking they like constructive criticism as well.

I'd like to think that these goblinoids and orcs are more than painted PCs (especially since high level PC doesn't become a super high CR creature without a lot of extra abilities and magic items... just look at the Archmage NPC). Many delve into the supernatural with their abilities a bit while still remaining believable as orcs and goblinoids in order to give them that boost into higher CRs. But again, if you disagree this is also good to know.

Just wanted to explain where the article was coming from in my own brain at least. I hope that makes sense. Again thank you for the feedback.

zoroaster100

First Post
I am happy to have these stat blocks. I know I can come up with my own, but I like having ready-made higher level orcs and goblins for my campaigns.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just a quick - this PDF has been updated on the Patreon page, so if you downloaded it, please grab it again. The new version has the word "revised" in the file name, and hits the items brought up in this thread.

Remove ads

Remove ads