• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ends Meat (Boddynock Judging)

Halford

First Post
"I would appreciate it if you would care for him, at least one of my animals would be safe. But what of the rest? Who would take in a camel, or a hyena for that matter? They need to be cared for. I failed them, and they have been failed before. I just don't know whats right anymore."

The old mans rapier lowers and he bites his lip glanceing to he party and then to his animals. Gesturing to the last baboon on the offensive he commands in a voice so firm that a few of the parties are almost inclined to obey,

"Down Humphrey!" And the last baboon withdraws hurrying after its troupe and heading back to their cage.

"What should I do?" Perkiss asks plaintively.

[sblock=OOC] Sorry Voda, the OOC comment was largely irrelevent. For what its worth folks there might not necessarily be an elegent solution here, I am intentionally giving you quite a dilemma. I will of course try to work with you and any ideas you have to solve it, etc. So feel free to ask questions. I will tell you that there is no other zoo or menagerie in Orussus - or if there is unbeknown to me it will not accept the animals.[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"That's better Perkiss, now why don't you explain everything to us? From the beggining please. And worry not for your animals, we can tek them to a druidic groove. They will care for them as I will care Heraldo." Ciprinus drops his scimitar to a side.

OOC: What about the druid congregations? They could take the animals. I think the situation would be quite convincing, and with Ciprinus asking it, it would be more convincent.

Halford

First Post
Perkiss sighs heavily,

"Very well, from the beginning then. Well I was hired to run the menagerie some forty years ago, after an incident which prevented me continueing my career as an entertainer - they shouldn't have served fruit. Then when Lord Blackhope died ten years ago he bequeathed me the menagerie."

He nods his head respectfully and looks upwards.

"Since then I've been struggling to stay above water, the animals need food, and curatives, and there are taxes and now I have to pay protection to that fat lout Sal. I just can't earn enough, so I had to borrow, a little at first, then more, and more. And now I owe Fat Sal well over five thousand gold pieces, borrowed against the menagerie - what else could I do?"

[sblock=Druids] There are two Druidic circles near Orussus that Ciprinus is aware of - I will need a Knowledge Nature to determine how well aware of them he is, unless he decides to be form one of the two Circles. For the record Orussus can be considered to have a climate similar to England - I cannot actually find a write up of Orussus's climate, but that sounds about right. So fairly cold with a lot of rain, snow in winter, etc.

The Wyrwood Circle and the Larkenwold Circle. Both are known for their reclusive natures, and though they are likely to sympathize with the plight of any animal their temperate forest homes are unlikely to be appropriate for the exotic animals of the menagerie. It is possible that they may know of ways to help.[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I see... such a predication... But then you had nothing to do with the robberies, right? I tell you what, if things are going out as I foresee, Fat Sal is going to be in as much trouble as you are, and he will not be able to charge you a single coin. In the mid time, I think it's not safe for you to stay here; Fat Sal mentioned something about coming here... You can come with me to the stables of the delightful miss Honeylott, she was having some trouble calming her horses, I'm sure a man like you can handle them with a hand tided to your back. I was thinking in spending the night there anyway, so you should be safe with us, until all this matters are solved out. "
the druid suggests.

Errandir

First Post
Reis nods his agreement. "Aye, I also have my suspicions that Sal will have enough of his own to answer for before this is over. If so, he will be in no position to collect on your debts - and if he is still so inclined, perhaps we can... persuade... him otherwise." The half-elf grins, clearly showing his dislike for the fat merchant.

The grin disappears quickly as Reis gingerly feels the puncture in his arm, though, and his mien as he addresses Perkiss is not overly friendly. "At the very least, I suppose we should let this lie until we get to the bottom of our case here, and then we may be able to work something out." He raises an eyebrow dryly. "Or you could continue trying to kill us - though I suspect your efforts would be better saved for Fat Sal."

Last edited:

Halford

First Post
Perkiss looks extremely taken aback by this turn of events, and hope kindles in his eyes.

"You understand he's a Fisher right? The law is not going to be of any help, we'd have to take matters into our own hands. He's no slouch, despite his gluttony, I've personally seen him shoot a fly out of the air with those little crossbows of his. I never thought I'd be given another option! Verdante's blessings be upon you if you help me save my animals. I swear I'll turn myself in if they can be cared for, and I'll return everything I've taken - except the meat of course."

[sblock=Heraldo]Heraldo is a highly trained old Monitor Lizard, if you do end up taking him he will act in one of two roles; he can act as a mascot and simply follow you around being amiable and exhorting food, or he can be taken as a 1st level animal companion. I would have to clear the later with the judges, but I feel it would be easy to demonstrate that he is not particularily overpowered when compared to some other 1st level options. Not that I want to surplant Carpio or anything, but the option is there.

Size/Type:Medium Animal
Hit Dice:3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative:+0
Speed:30 ft. (6 squares), swim 30 ft.
Armor Class:14 (+1 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple:+2/+4
Attack:Bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Full Attack:Bite +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach:5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:—
Special Qualities:Low-light vision
Saves:Fort +7, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities:Str 15, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 4
Skills:Climb +6, Hide +5*, Listen +5, Move Silently +5,
Spot +5, Swim +10
Feats:Alertness, Great Fortitude
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
"One step back, please. I understand, that this Sal is not what you call a 'good person'. But we have no evidences against him. And I doubt his advantage from the last happenings. We will solve our current task first. If we find any evidence regarding Sal, we will act." Midias says, weapon and shield still in hand, but held in an unthreatening demeanor.

[sblock=OOC]
AC 17 (T11, FF16), HP 10/10, F +4,R+1,W+4
0 Level: Detect Magic, Light, Resistance
1 Level: Cure Light Wounds (d) - Bless, Command
[/sblock]

Errandir

First Post
Reis shrugs. "I said suspicions, didn't I? True, it's possible that Fat Sal has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, but we'll deal with that if we get there." He trails off. "Oh, and what was that about Sal being a 'Fisher,' Perkiss?"

He pauses before addressing the zookeeper again. "Anyways, for the moment we need to know exactly what you've done and when. I take it from what you've said that you robbed Yarman's place once, but that seems odd... I remember those sausage bits we found - didn't those have fang marks on them?" The half-elf frowns, puzzled. "For that matter, Perkiss here as our sole robber doesn't explain what Huffgood told us he saw. He said there were a few robbers, and definitely non-human. It sounds like there's something else going on here."

Halford

First Post
"Ah, I thought you had twigged that already. I used to be an animal trainer, used to have a show with my baboons they can juggle, and steal, and fight. It'd be there fang marks on that meat you found, I guess I wasn't as thorough cleaning up as I had thought. I thought I was done for when I discovered Huffgood had been at his store the night we hit it. But thankfully the little grub is such a bigot that his testimony was next to useless. I have the baboons wear cloaks, otherwise there would have been no mistaking them."

He shakes his head,

"Yarman and Leesha are the only members of the Guild that I have any time for. Yarman was under suspsion, thats the only reason we hit him, what with the mystery of his basement and all, it makes a good many folk suspicious."

Perkiss pauses and rubs the bridge of his nose,

"The Fishers? They are the local thieves guild, vicious cut throats who pay off the right people and skim off just little enough that its less trouble to pay them than fight them. Parasites. Fat Sal is our local representative, owns the seediest Opium den in Orussus and owns dozens of girls. Filth. He is only after the Menagerie because the area has been revitalized, he would make tens of thousands just selling off the land..."

He watches the party anxiously awaiting the parties decision.

Remove ads