• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enemy Among Us (DM: Stringbean2142, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Veruzak]I am sorry if I was over empathic. It's not even that I am opposed to maneuvering to facilitate blast areas; I have played wizards in the past and I am consious of the need to optimize blast areas. I have the 'Hit and Run' power which is quite nice for that. But it's a matter of context.

If I 'Hit and run' the main bad guy, dealing serious damage and then moving out of the blast zone, that's great coordination. But I was in contact with a miserable minion. Surely you must realize how pointless it would have made my entire round to attack a minion then move away. Especially a minion you wished to target anyway... I might as well have sitted the round out.

I was seeing on the map two excellent potential targets for blast areas;

1 - An enlarged grasping shadow at E9 would have caught two seekers (they are vulnerable to psychic) and a minion
2 - An enlarged blast of any kind could have wiped the minion attacking, killied the horse and weakened the hound (which I might then have killed).

But for the sake of catching one extra minion, you wanted me to back away from the enemies I most logically needed to go after. You lost perspective; the point is not for you to do the most possible damage in one turn, it's for the team to do the most potential damage in one turn0. If I have to sacrifice more than you gain to implement your tactic, it's not a good tactic.

But I think, above everything, that I was peeved that you made that second post that assumed Kendrick was going to comply meekly. If all I had read was the initial demand, I would have replied in much less abrupt (OOC) manner. The second post put me in a fould mood, to be honest. Disagreeing on tactics alone would not have riled me up so much. It felt like you were taking control of my character and imposing on him actions to which I was vehemently opposed.[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[sblock=OOC]If I may, CaBaNa and Mal Malenkirk...it seems to me you both overreacted a little bit. Mal for emphasizing OOC so much and then CaBaNa for not doing anything for the round...HOWEVER!...I find it highly believeable that Veruzak would assume his superiority and order Kent around. And also his response on (predictable) refusal. And of course, Kent reacted as expected IC.

So, good RP points to both, kiss and make up, let's play on...

As someone said: I love RP of this group! (Yes, CaBaNa, I know it was you)[SIZE]
[/sblock]

So, if I read everything correctly we have the following:
horse - dead, triggers Fate of the void
husk 52 dead
Catein at R14
Bell at P9
Atlas at O9
Kendrick at M13

As the horse falls, short vision from Khirad shows fledgling warlock what would happen if these beasts are to survive. Spurred by his vision Martelai leaves safety of back lines to lend help to Kendrick, leaving burning mark of Ulban to hamper husks recognition of danger it is in.

He then addresses seeker which avoided Catein's chains.
"Your kind is unwelcome here. You should return to your realm of madness. Look at the order around you and shudder!"

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: curse on husk 39
Move: N11, almost flanking with Kendrick (sorry, I need to be closest for prime shot) - concealed
Standard: Cutting Words
Use Sacrifice to Caiphon on miss. IC is down, please roll for me.
Cutting words +6 vs. Will (CHA + prime shot + Fate of the Void) 1d8+4 psychic damage and target is pulled to H9 (blast away CaBaNa). Curse damage (1d6) on hit on the husk if possible.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=Mal]

No worries mate, we had communication issues. When Catein moved back, and Bell moved back, I had thought the group was in a partial retreat. So I wanted to lay down the "soft" zone of grasping shadows TENT, to make that area penalizing to move through (slow condition...). I didn't realize Kendrick's favored targets would be in the zone, or that Kendrick wanted to move forward.

Also to separate, Veruzak made a demand. CaBaNa, asked a question. I'm not trying to muscle in on your characters sovereignty.

About the post assuming Kendrick had moved, I understand how you could have gotten the impression, that I was attempting to encroach on your characters sovereignty. On the other side, the first thing in that post, is delay until after Kendrick. If Kendrick had said no (as he did IC), and ignored my request, Veruzak would have made different decisions to reflect that. It was late at night, and I wanted to post a turn, it could be changed if Kendrick said no.

From here on out, I'll post an alternate set of actions, in the event of a "no" answer. That should go a long way to avoid the feeling of encroachment on character sovereignty.

Please do separate CaBaNa (me), from Veruzak though. I (CaBaNa) will ask you questions politely, OOC, with no expectation on your answer. Veruzak will demand that your character do something, and then get upset when he doesn't. Martelai, Catein, Bell, and Atlas, have all ignored Veruzak, to great RP effect! I (CaBaNa) love that, as Veruzak getting put in his place is very entertaining to me. He isn't that powerful a wizard, he doesn't know that much, and he is far too over-confidant and evil, for me to not get a great chuckle out of him getting shut down.

Once again, just for the record, No hard feelings. I do understand where you're coming from, and will do what is in my power to make sure it doesn't happen again.
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]

Thanks for the interjection Neurotic, and the round update.

Veruzak is at +2 defenses from total defense, and is prone, so -2 to ranged attacks against him. Hit that little jellyfish of doom!

[/sblock]

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Here's some stuff you may have missed. When Bell attacked the hound with Malevolent Mischief, she afflicted it with Ill Luck. As long as Ill Luck lasts, the hound will be slowed until the end of its next turn whenever someone hits it with an attack.

Kendrick is in L14, not M13, since charging ends your turn, unless you spend an AP, and that only gets you one standard action as normal. So Martelai can't get Prime Shot from N11, assuming your target is Seeker 74. However, if he moves to M10 he can get Prime Shot and also not draw an OA from Husk 39 when he makes his attack. You only deal your curse damage to targets you attack, so Husk 39 is fine.

For future reference, please state who your target is in the action sblock. The whole point of giving everyone numbers is so they can be referenced easily.[/sblock]

Martelai's target ripples disturbingly as it is dragged forward against its will.

[sblock=Martelai]As your mind touches the seeker's, several images flash into your mind. A coastline, the town, a series of caves. You also realize that these "seekers" are not independent entities, but the psychic projections of something else...[/sblock]

The hounds break free of their chains and savagely tear into their closest targets, in this case Atlas and Kendrick. One of the alien creatures lashes Martelai through his snowstorm, and the hound attack Kendrick manages to distract him enough to let one of the humans get a lucky blow in, but beyond that the various creatures are ineffective.

[sblock=Status]Initiative:
Martelai (16/28, Concealed)
Hound 24 (-9, Ill Luck (save ends))
Hound 81 (-32, bloodied)
Seeker 26
Seeker 31 (-6, Cursed)
Seeker 72 (slowed (save ends))
Seeker 74 (-8)
Husk 17 (slowed (save ends))
Husk 28
Husk 39 (Cursed)
Veruzak (20/20, prone, +2 to all Defenses)
Kendrick (9/31, bloodied)
Bell (15/25, insubstantial)
Atlas (11/26, bloodied)
Catein (14/27)

Martelai's Cutting Words hits and deals a total of 16 psychic damage, which is then halved to 8.

Hound 24 shifts to N8 and hits Atlas for 9 damage, which bloodies him. Hound 81 hits Kendrick for 5 damage which bloodies him.

Seeker 26 moves to F11 misses Kendrick. Seeker 31 misses Veruzak. Seeker 72 hits Martelai for 8 damage. Seeker 74 misses Martelai.

Husk 17 misses Kendrick. Husk 28 charges Martelai and misses. Husk 39 hits Kendrick for 4.

Some people save, a few don't.[/sblock]

[sblock=Monster Info]Seeker:
AC 12 | Fort 12 | Reflex 13 | Will 14
HP: 18. Insubstantial. Vulnerable 5 psychic.
MBA: +4 vs Reflex, 1d4+3 psychic damage.

Horse:
AC 16 | Fort 15 | Reflex 13 | Will 13
HP: 48
MBA: +5 vs AC; 1d6+5 damage.

Husks:
AC 15 | Fort 13 | Reflex 11 | Will 11
HP: Minion. Gains +2 to all defenses if there are two other husks w/in 5 squares.
MBA: +6 vs AC, 4 damage.

Hounds:
AC 16 | Fort 14 | Reflex 13 | Will 12
HP: 37.
MBA: +7 vs AC, 1d6+3 damage, + an additional d6 if two or more allies are adjacent to the target.
If a hound is adjacent to an enemy, that enemy grants CA to all melee attackers.[/sblock]

Attachments

• Enc1_round3.jpg
    Enc1_round3.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 63

CaBaNa

First Post
Coming up onto a knee, Veruzak refocus' on bringing the illusion of his shadow-ridden homeland to life! After successfully conjuring the twenty five foot "portal" the wizard lays back down and concentrates on keeping the madness out.

[sblock=OOC]

Move stand

Standard Grasping shadows centered on I11 (alt. 3), enlarged, burst 2 affecting seeker 74, husk 17, hound 81. +5 vs. Will
Hit: 1d8+3 (enlarged), and target is slowed TE of my NT.
Effect: Shadows writhe in the designated area and continue TE of my NT. Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes 5 psychic damage and is slowed TE of it’s NT.

Minor, go prone again.

[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Atlas yells "I'l be right there!" and strangely the statue puts away his sword and grabs a throwing hammer. Carefully aiming it at the hound he throws it as hard as he can but throws it to high and it flies harmlessly by. At the same time she disappears and is right next to him. Quite surprised by this, he just says " Never mind then " and he gives her quick clap on the shoulder " Was about to aid you little Lass, but it seems you can handle yourself "

Kendrick jump back five feet, your in my blast area! Screams out Veruzak, mid-incantation.

''Hey, just watch your aim, damn it! I am not your ****ing puppet, I have my own job to do!'' Kendrick shouts angrily to Veruzak.

Veruzak fumbles his spell, between the chastisement from Bell, and the vehement anger of Kendrick, he can't seem to pull together the concentration to finish it. He carefully lays down on the roof, and covers his head preparing for another mental onslaught.

Coming up onto a knee, Veruzak refocus' on bringing the illusion of his shadow-ridden homeland to life! After successfully conjuring the twenty five foot "portal" the wizard lays back down and concentrates on keeping the madness out.

Bell felt a shiver run down her spine as Atlas gave her pat. It was an eerie feeling as she felt his hand go a little into her shoulder, her form only partially in this world. She forced a smile on her face, glad for his actions.

At least one real hero with us. She thought as she readied her next actions. Surveying the battle field quickly, the next onslaught of attacks were on us, but many reprisals as well. Amidst all this, Bell cringed as Veruzak and Kendrick began to argue with each other. Of all times. Her opinion constantly diminishing of what it meant to be an adventurer.

As Kendrick seemed to take the brunt of the onslaught she actually considered helping Atlas instead, she dismissed it quickly. Hard to learn you're lesson when you're dead. I must be as upstanding as the great legends. Redemption is possible. All are worth saving. She focused her mind on him.

"Keep going! We have them now!" It seemed more encouraging than anymore arguing over the worth of souls and she sent her energies into the fighter.

She shifted focus quickly to Martelai, fending off one of the controlled villagers. We need to keep this advantage. I am sorry. She sent her thoughts forward and whispered the words, "You are not real."

Hoping that would be enough to free up the caster, Bell left Atlas' side, hoping he would be able to keep himself standing and fend off the hound without her help. She positioned herself between another poor soul and Kendrick, hoping to keep the advantage in the groups favor. As she try to seem threatening, she phases back into existence fully.

[sblock=actions]
IC Down.
Minor: Majestic Word on Kendrick. Spend a healing surge, gain its value +3 hp.
Standard: Cutting Words on Husk 28. +3 vs Reflex.
Move to N13.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]I was going to keep this to myself, but at level 2 I'm swapping my Rogue Multi-class for either wizard, swordmage, or warlock. They each fit into my master plan (which is loose) and offer certain advantages so I decided a while ago that I would choose it based on who Bell most trusted/admired at the end of the adventure.

She would in turn try to emulate them.

Just throwing that out there. . . [/sblock]

[sblock=Quick Stats]
Bell Jabson: Shadar-Kai Bard 1
Initiative: +2; Speed: 6; Passive Perception: 14; Passive Insight: 10
AC: 18; FRW:13/17/15
HP: 15/25; Surges: 5/8; Surge Value: 6; AP: 0
Languages: Common (Allarian), Imperia
Skills: Arcana +9, Streetwise +8, Perception +4, History +9, Bluff +8, Thievery +6
Str:10 Dex:15 Wis:9 Con:13 Int:18 Cha:16

Powers
Misdirecting Mark, Cutting Word
Focused Sound, Shadow Jaunt, Words of Friendship, Majestic Word 2/2
Malevolent Mischief

Full Sheet
[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=OOC]

Do ignore the rest of this post, except this part, "Veruzak is collecting specimens, and spare parts for his Igors. He will choose to incapacitate over kill for all enemies including Seekers. "

So just incapacitating Husk 17, and Hound 81.

on a separate note, sweet 19's!

[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads