Enervation Question

RingXero

The spell does not inflict damage, the spell inflicts a 'negative level'. This 'Negative level' has as one of its penalties, a loss of 5 hps, not as damage, but as a removal from the total hps of the target.

No criticals, no sneak attack, there are no damage rolls.

simple

RX

Last edited:

Nish

First Post
RingXero said:
The spell does not inflict damage, the spell inflicts a 'negative level'. This 'Negative level' has as one of its penalties, a loss of 5 hps, not as damage, but as a removal from the total hps of the target.

Sorry, I did word that incorrectly, negative levels cause the character's HP (max and current) to be reduced by 5 while the negative level is in effect. However, I'd still like some official confirmation that negative levels inflicted by Enervation are normal negative levels in this aspect (as would my DM most likely), because the spell description clearly states all of the other effects of the spell and even in the more recent printing of the PHB the HP reduction is not mentioned. I really do hope that you are right and it was just omitted as an oversight.

Gromm

First Post
No loss of hit points.
But it hardly matters since the spell is very, very powerful without it.
Yeah its just that good, those big enemies better pray for some SR.
Had many a powerful foe lose big against this spell in my player's hands.

StealthyMark

First Post
It is possible to sneak attack with Enervation. The sneak attack damage is inflicted as negative energy damage. See Tome and Blood, pg 79. "For example, a 10th level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack with an enervation spell bestows 1d4 negative levels and deals 5d6 points of negative energy damage."

Remove ads